U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,247 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend (a lifetime Northlake native) and I (a lifetime Wisconsin resident) are currently looking for a home in the Johnsburg/McHenry area. We decided upon this area after a lot of research and countless hours of touring. She has two daughters (ages 5 and 3), and our main concerns are quality schools, a smaller town 'feel', and a less hurried pace of day to day things (in relation to the 'immediate' Chicago area). She is an RN... and I'm a jack of all trades (but master of none ) kinda guy.

Any comments or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for any responses (although Magpie need not respond... as I think I already know your feelings on this area )

P.S. Also... how bad would the beatings be... for continuing to wear my Packer/Brewers/Bucks wardrobe in this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM

246 posts, read 220,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
Any comments or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for any responses (although Magpie need not respond... as I think I already know your feelings on this area )
Aw, gosh. You're not going to give us a chance to keep you in Wisconsin?

Don't say you weren't warned.

Magpies

Old 07-26-2006, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,247 times
Magpies... you'll be happy to hear (or maybe not) that we decided against McHenry... and instead just put an offer in on a home in Antioch. We liked what we saw there alot better than what we saw around McHenry... and as an added benefit... we found a very nice (and reasonably priced) home on the Chain O' Lakes!

Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 40,187 times
If on the Chain O' Lakes almost a year now, is this your first experience with septic & well? I sure like all the lower-priced housing stock surrounding Antioch but still have no comfort-level with septic & well maintenance costs. Is this not a big deal? Let me know, if you manage to check-in again here. It would be cool to read what you think (ah... Cheesehead... as you say).

Old 05-30-2007, 07:54 AM

59 posts, read 226,994 times
I strongly encourage you checked the sex offender site for Lake Co before your deal is final. I hope you like noise in the summer. The Chain is so crowded in the with boats. We use to vacation on the chain, but not anymore.

Good Luck

Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM

38 posts, read 208,101 times
yeah McHenry is no good for schools!!

and NO... keep your Packers stuff while driving in Wisconsin. Rednecks will kill you up there!!! Lots of drunks on boats!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM

58 posts, read 230,582 times
Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters

check out the scores of the schools the girls will be going to and compare for yourself which area is better

i went to johnsburg schools from 4th grade through high school graduation and i couldnt say anything bad about that school system.

hope that helps and if you need help figuring out the inner workings of johnsburg, let me know. as far as the WI sports teams attire, dont flaunt it outside and you'll get little guff.

Hope it helped, just cause you put down money doesnt mean you cant retract that deposit and go back to the johnsburg/mchenry area depending on what you find for the school ratings.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
Thumbs up Choosing Antioch over McHenry/Johnsburg area

Antioch is a lovely town to raise children. I was raised in Antioch. My dad had a Marina on the Chain. Yes, it is busy on the lakes...but week days aren't bad on the lakes...especially Mondays. We loved it as kids and teens. I also raised 3 children in Antioch Schools. All are college educated and successful. Just stay involved with the schools so you know what is being taught, like any school. They also have private schools in the area. I went to Carmel High School in Mundelein, and my brother and sister went to St. Peter's for grade school, and it was a great education also. Antioch is busy enough to be interesting, and small enough to feel like you are in a quaint town in the country, and still close to shopping. I love Antioch! I moved to Alabama 3 years ago to be close to my grandchildren, but I miss Antioch and the Chain O'Lakes area so very much. You made a good choice. From one Cheese Head to Another....yeah!! I love the Packers too! Congrats on your new home! As far as sex offender lists...I checked and it is very small compared to MOST cities. 6 people. Every town in Lake County and Cook county have more. We all have to watch our kids...you can't stop living because of perverts...or you can't live anywhere. I have a son and 4 grandchildren in McHenry Schools. He wished he never move there. He said the schools are terrible.

Last edited by BluJeanBaby; 07-29-2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs