U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 7,044,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There's also a cultural component to this that goes beyond safety and gangs. People generally don't like to be a minority where they live. We self sort. For instance, Cupertino California has become majority-Asian, and it is still experiencing some white flight even though the schools have never done better and crime is very low. It hasn't hurt real estate values, though.
The only way to not become a minority is to not move. I can't think of one neighborhood in Chicago that experience real black flight, unless its through gentrification. Despite many of us are in the west and south suburbs, the black population in the city proper haven't changed much. Matter of fact, I think their are still more blacks in the city proper than suburbs. A good example of black flight is what happening in South LA with Mexicans being the majority now.

You can also look at that Latinos & blacks have more kids than whites
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM

273 posts, read 594,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I expect by 2010 or the end of 2009, Hispanics will officially surpass blacks in the state. Hispanics make up 15%(technically 14.9%) and blacks 15% of Illinois. Mind you these stats come from 2007
Illinois QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I don't know. A lot of Hispanics (mainly mexican) claim to be white. So we could still be the largest minority if you take out "white" hispanic.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,035,617 times
THere are numerous reasons. But sooner or later, many whites are going to be living really far away and commuting very far to work and their standard of living is going to decline. if someone wants to commute 30 or more miles to work, it's their business but they will see less of their family and be home less. To some, that is worth moving further out to be amongst their "own". The country is changing and whites are becoming and will be a minority one day. Things change and we have to roll with the changes.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 24,861 times
[SIZE=2]Too many people use the term "white flight" pejoratively. They believe "white flight" to be the process of white people moving to the suburbs in response to racial integration in the wake of the civil rights movement. This is a myth. Whites began moving to suburban communities in the 50s and 60s en masse as a result of newly constructed expressways. Construction of highways made it possible to be from the heart of Chicago to 30 miles away in a half an hour. This was amazing. Suddenly land was cheap and abundant and people could afford bigger properties for a smaller price.

The fact that this trend occurred in the same decade as the Brown v. Board Supreme Court decision (1954) outlawing de jure segregation is purely conincidental. This was also the decade that highways were constructed. The first sections of I-290 radiating outward from Congress parkway opened in 1955, and the highway was named after the sitting President at the time (Eisenhower). Similarly, the inner sections of I-90 radiating northwest from the Loop opened in 1960 and were named after then newly elected President (Kennedy).

These events changed Chicago's suburbs completely. One example: In 1959 construction of the Weathersfield, a 6800 unit subdivision of single family homes, began in Schaumburg, IL. When Schaumburg was incorporated in 1956 it had 130 residents. By 1970 it had over 18,000. It was possible to commute to work in the city and enjoy suburban living. I'm going to take a guess and say that rush hour in the 60s was not like it is today.

People fabricate "white flight" as a racial response in order to fuel public policy initiatives. Subsidized housing and affirmative action programs are predicated on the "fact" that whites fled inner cities like Chicago in fear of blacks. If they can convince the public that whites are racist they can win handouts for blacks.

In reality, "white flight" occurred because it became logistically possible to live in the suburbs and work where the jobs were in the city.
[/SIZE]

Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,829,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsurfwave View Post
[SIZE=2]Too many people use the term "white flight" pejoratively. They believe "white flight" to be the process of white people moving to the suburbs in response to racial integration in the wake of the civil rights movement. This is a myth. Whites began moving to suburban communities in the 50s and 60s en masse as a result of newly constructed expressways. Construction of highways made it possible to be from the heart of Chicago to 30 miles away in a half an hour. This was amazing. Suddenly land was cheap and abundant and people could afford bigger properties for a smaller price.

The fact that this trend occurred in the same decade as the Brown v. Board Supreme Court decision (1954) outlawing de jure segregation is purely conincidental. This was also the decade that highways were constructed. The first sections of I-290 radiating outward from Congress parkway opened in 1955, and the highway was named after the sitting President at the time (Eisenhower). Similarly, the inner sections of I-90 radiating northwest from the Loop opened in 1960 and were named after then newly elected President (Kennedy).

These events changed Chicago's suburbs completely. One example: In 1959 construction of the Weathersfield, a 6800 unit subdivision of single family homes, began in Schaumburg, IL. When Schaumburg was incorporated in 1956 it had 130 residents. By 1970 it had over 18,000. It was possible to commute to work in the city and enjoy suburban living. I'm going to take a guess and say that rush hour in the 60s was not like it is today.

People fabricate "white flight" as a racial response in order to fuel public policy initiatives. Subsidized housing and affirmative action programs are predicated on the "fact" that whites fled inner cities like Chicago in fear of blacks. If they can convince the public that whites are racist they can win handouts for blacks.

In reality, "white flight" occurred because it became logistically possible to live in the suburbs and work where the jobs were in the city.
[/SIZE]
Logistics, courtesy of government policy to build highways all over God's creation, were a major factor, no doubt. But I don't know if I can agree they were the only, or even the main, factor. In the '60s, traffic may not have been what it is today but it was still much more inconvenient to get to work than it would be living in the City. Even during the '50s, most suburbanites made a considerable time sacrifice for suburban living -- especially given that there was virtually no job base in the 'burbs back then.

I think the major key was the fact that suburbs offered brand new schools with state of the art facilities and homogonous student bodies of higher scoring (read white) students. Pretty tempting, and it had serious impact during an era when there were considerably fewer singles and DINKs buying homes than there are today.

Still, no doubt about it, governmental policy fueled suburban expansion. Instead of spending on highways, maybe we should have focused on improving education in urban areas. Oh well, water under the bridge. Pun intended!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,254,994 times
Other things to think about: newer houses, bigger houses, bigger lots, new schools, new stores, easy and cheap transportation by car, garages to store the cars, wider roads for the cars...there were a lot of desirable characteristics to new suburbs that fit a changing lifestyle.

My dad grew up in a small, rural coal mining town with lots of open space. They raised chickens and had a garden. He went to college and got a good technical job. Eventually he was transferred to downtown Chicago and had zero interest in a small house on a small lot for our family of 6. He built out in Addison and then Glen Ellyn as these cities were developing. The Glen Ellyn house was his first house with a driveway and garage. Nothing really about white flight to this story, as he never really lived in a big city. The suburbs fit his preferred lifestyle better.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,829,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Other things to think about: newer houses, bigger houses, bigger lots, new schools, new stores, easy and cheap transportation by car, garages to store the cars, wider roads for the cars...there were a lot of desirable characteristics to new suburbs that fit a changing lifestyle.

My dad grew up in a small, rural coal mining town with lots of open space. They raised chickens and had a garden. He went to college and got a good technical job. Eventually he was transferred to downtown Chicago and had zero interest in a small house on a small lot for our family of 6. He built out in Addison and then Glen Ellyn as these cities were developing. The Glen Ellyn house was his first house with a driveway and garage. Nothing really about white flight to this story, as he never really lived in a big city. The suburbs fit his preferred lifestyle better.
Sure, you can't simply boil it down to 1 or 2 things -- it was a multitude of factors that worked together. If your family of 6 had to go to school with poorly performing kids, those other benefits could have been negated and open space wouldn't have nearly as much appeal (I'd wager). It will be interesting to see if certain suburbs maintain their desirability if they start to diversify and suffer in terms of education. Suburbs like Calumet City and Harvey, which have open space and were designed for cars, certainly didn't.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM

342 posts, read 1,071,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Times change. America is turning brown. Palatine, Hoffman, Wheeling, Rolling meadows, all traditional white suburbs. Look at greatschools.net...check the student stats of the high schools. None of these schools even have whites at 70% anymore.
there is schools in palatine and hoffman estates that are more than 70% white.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
I don't know. A lot of Hispanics (mainly mexican) claim to be white. So we could still be the largest minority if you take out "white" hispanic.
That and many white working class people consider Mexicans white and intermarry with Mexicans without it being considered any big deal. I know many Irish-Mexican marriages, a couple in my own family. Know several Italian-Mexican and Mexican-Polish marriages too.

Are white collar people as tolerant of Mexicans as working class people? Seriously, I don't know.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsurfwave View Post
[SIZE=2] This is a myth. Whites began moving to suburban communities in the 50s and 60s en masse as a result of newly constructed expressways. Construction of highways made it possible to be from the heart of Chicago to 30 miles away in a half an hour. This was amazing. Suddenly land was cheap and abundant and people could afford bigger properties for a smaller price.
My mother's family lived in Austin, in Resurrection, she had 8 brothers and all moved away from Austin in the 1950s long before Blacks were anywhere near. Oak Park, Schaumburg, Skokie, California, Seattle--all over the goddam place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs