Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 AM

91 posts, read 292,438 times

Advertisements

1ST - let me say that I am NOT calling anybody racist or trying to start an uproar-I am truly curious. Historically white flight was due to basic prejudice and folks socialized against "mixing." Now with severe racism at a minimum, whats the excuse? More and more of my non-minority colleagues are expressing a desire to NOT live in certain burbs - specifically because THEIR child may be outnumbered by other ethnic groups.
In burbs where whites arent as saturated as they used to be there's ALOT of white flight. And this in turn causes whole areas to be looked upon negatively. For some reason, a high concentration of whites equate to desireable, higher valued property - so is the fleeing a result of poor tastes/bad habit or just responsible homeowners looking out for their property value?
And for those who think I'm off my rocker simply compare/contrast the diversity trends within such burbs as Elgin, Hanover Park, Carpentersville with the likes of South Elgin, St Charles & Bartlett. My point being that instead of fleeing why not stay to help ensure that the neighborhood doesnt turn into a war zone - surely thats what being vested in your community is all about !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
white flight stopped 40 years ago.
what hurts AA community far more is when smart educated positive AA leaders, leave the community because of violence.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 AM

273 posts, read 705,520 times
Question What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
white flight stopped 40 years ago.
what hurts AA community far more is when smart educated positive AA leaders, leave the community because of violence.
I don't think blacks are causing white flight in the NW burbs. This seems to be more of a Latino flight.

As for saying that AA communities suffer more when decent blacks leave, are you implying that middle/upper middle class blacks should sit there in run-down communities when we can afford to do better?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
I don't think blacks are causing white flight in the NW burbs. This seems to be more of a Latino flight.

As for saying that AA communities suffer more when decent blacks leave, are you implying that middle/upper middle class blacks should sit there in run-down communities when we can afford to do better?
LOL best post of the day. you defended black flight for of course the same reasons everybody else leaves.
i love it.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
LOL best post of the day. you defended black flight for of course the same reasons everybody else leaves.
i love it.
Thank You!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 AM

91 posts, read 292,438 times
I'm not just talking about blacks here - i've found that the largest congregations of blacks in the nw burbs are collectively found in "affordable housing" complexes away from the folks paying a mortgage every month. There are Hindi/Indian/ & Hispanic influxes that cause noses to wrinkle and i'm not getting it. the nw burbs have yet to become any semblance of cabrini green - and a few occurances of crime from some bad apples seem like a sorry excuse...

Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADASGIRL View Post
I'm not just talking about blacks here - i've found that the largest congregations of blacks in the nw burbs are collectively found in "section 8" complexes away from the folks paying a mortgage every month. There are Hindi/Indian/ & Hispanic influxes that cause noses to wrinkle and i'm not getting it. the nw burbs have yet to become any semblance of cabrini green - and a few occurances of crime from some bad apples seem like a sorry excuse...
Maybe it's different languages/ cultures. I live in the south suburbs so I am very clueless on the NW burbs. I read several post that there is a small Hispanic gang problem so that can be the cause, or like I said before," when people can afford to do better, they leave."

Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
Times change. America is turning brown. Palatine, Hoffman, Wheeling, Rolling meadows, all traditional white suburbs. Look at greatschools.net...check the student stats of the high schools. None of these schools even have whites at 70% anymore.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Times change. America is turning brown. Palatine, Hoffman, Wheeling, Rolling meadows, all traditional white suburbs. Look at greatschools.net...check the student stats of the high schools. None of these schools even have whites at 70% anymore.
That's true. Maybe tomorrow more people will help us out with this thread. A lot of regular posters live in the area the OP is discussing.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
I really don't know if it is a white flight persae. By and large it seems a large portion of the Hispanic population in that area is confined to lower income apartments and such, at least in the more established suburbs. Slowly in more working class areas such as Rolling meadows it seems that they have started to branch into some of the single family homes. To me that is a good indicator of upward mobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs