Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
North Shore,where your 'gal' wants to teach,is a wonderful area on the lake.Is it out of the question for you to do a job search in or around there? Oakbrook is surrounded by some great suburbs as well Elmhurst,Hinsdale,Lombard,Glen Ellyn,but for a young couple,I would think the North Shore/Evanston would be better.(Evanston is a quick commute to the city,so that would open you up to a job right in Chicago)..Just food for thoughtGood Luck to you
I still want to thank that middle-aged couple in Glen Ellyn in February for helping me out at the ACE Hardware after the car wash shattered my back window. Glen Ellyn is a homely kind of place, reminds me of my hometown in Michigan.

Evanston/North Shore is still where I would rather live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 16,241 times
MapQuest will tell you that it takes only 40 minutes to get to Oak Brook from Wilmette. That might be true if there are no other cars on the road, and you are never stopped by a traffic light or railroad crossing. For evening and morning rushes, you'd do well to more than double that time to get a more accurate estimate of the commute.

Since you're the one who already has a job in Oak Brook, the easiest solution would be for her to find something closer to that general area where neither of you is on the road for three hours a day, every day. (And don't forget to double or triple that when it snows! And that WILL happen!)

Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Tula is right on about the travel times.And I agree with Mtypex,Evanston or North Shore would be my first choice as well

Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM

21 posts, read 66,166 times
I appreciate all of your help. My fiance is a teacher and has found it hard to get ahold of anyone at many school districts. Wilmette is a great district I'm told and she has an interview there so it looks like I may be in for some heavy commuting if she gets it. We were looking closer to Oak Brook but it has been next to impossible to get ahold of anyone in the school districts.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:10 PM

62 posts, read 224,717 times
To respond to your question about south Evanston...it is a nice place to live. I began renting in south Evanston 7 years ago, and became a homeowner here 2 years later. My only regret is that the school in our neighborhood isn't as good as the others in Evanston, so we are planning to move. Safety is good, we love our neighbors, it's great to be able to walk to the lake & L, etc.

If you can share an intersection near where you're thinking of renting, I could make a more specific comment on that area if you'd like.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 AM

How about the area near main and asbury....like madison or wesley? Are there places to park there and how are the areas?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
Hi, I am planning to move back to the Chicago area. I grew up there but haven't lived there in over 10 years. My wife and I can't agree on where to live! It's turning out to be quite the nightmare!! She wants to live in Naperville because of the school district. I will be working in the city-the near west side-so I want to live in Oak Park. She is adamant that Oak Park is too close the city and that the schools are substandard. I disagree and I am also concerned about the commute to the city and the homogeneity of Naperville. Diversity is important to me but not so much to her. Please help. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Go to Naperville only if you love Naperville.Many,many Chicago suburbs have excellent schools.If you move to Naperville JUST because of the schools,you will have passed by some wonderful areas you may have been happier at.I would prefer Evanson over OakPark,personal preference,and it is close to the city as well the lake,great parks and great schools.THere is also Elmhurst,Glen Ellyn,Wilmette,Winnetka lOTS of 'burbs with excellent schools and easy commute

Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 AM

So it's official. The fiance got the job in Wilmette so now it's time to find that place to live. Are there places to rent in Wilmette or is it just really expensive houses?

Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 AM

62 posts, read 224,717 times
That's great for your fiance. Wilmette schools have a good rep. If you're still interested...the area near Main and Asbury is a great area. There is on street parking on both of those streets, as well as on Madison and Wesley. I live near there and when friends come to visit, they always can park in front or at least, on our block. In terms of safety, it's very good. There's frequent pedestrian traffic, dog walking, kids playing...especially now that the weather is so nice. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs