Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times

Advertisements

Depending where on Elgin he's going. I have a friend who commuted from Huntley to downtown Elgin who always ran into slow spots on 31 from 90. Right now, there's construction that's been going on for months on 31, but even without it he'd run into traffic. I'd go for the east side of Geneva or St Charles. Both really cute towns, especially if you like vintage homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 04:02 AM

8 posts, read 18,058 times
Try looking at West Dundee. The downtown is really cool and real estate prices have cooled down considerably. You can get to Elgin in about 10-15 minutes. The schools are better in St. Charles but you are gonna pay an arm and a leg in property taxes.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Tough decision....school district versus house versus property taxes.

Best house values, right now can be found in Algonquin, ( Jacobs High School District), west of the river and certainly not rural.

Check out Willoughby Estates, in Algonquin for some jaw dropping values in the $300's. Elgin is a snap commute.

There are homes in this price range in the greater Barrington area ( school district 220). Low $400's is a hot price point and multiple bidding is increasingly common. Such properties tend to be older and half the size of what you will find in Algonquin. Schools however, rate better.

Only you can decide how to best balance affordability and education.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
I would recommend Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. Great schools and Librarys with good programs for the kids. Close to Train to get into the city for work during the week or on the week ends with the faimly to play and wide range of local shopping for the wife. Great bike paths. Its not so over crowded and still has a small town charm and enviroment. Property Taxes a tad high but whats new. I lived there for 30 yrs and thought it was great to raise kids. I had 6 of em.

Good Luck,
Gene

Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
How has the relo worked out for you? I am in the same pickle - choosing to move from GA to the Chicagoland area. My husband grew up in Arlington Hts. We lived most of our life in the West - the South doesn't fit us. Looking at Crystal Lake or the Tri cities area. Husband works from home, so commute and location are not an issue. Need good schools (Middle and High) something for teenage boys to do, and their parents. We want a more rural setting 1 acre min. price between $375,000-$450,000. Sense of community with lots of activities/festivals, ways to engage and meet people since we both work out of the house. Is there any area where it snows less? Just kidding! Talk to me about property taxes - they are much higher there but seem to vary. Help, advice and opinions are welcome!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
I live in Arlington Hts. Looked at moving to Crystal Lake about 5 years ago to get more house for the $. When we factored in higher property taxes, the commuting patterns (I work from home but need to be mobile to see clients), the extra time away from home spent in the car & where the main employment centers were for future job opportunities; we decided to stay in AH. Sure it's not as rural as I would like, but my kids have sidewalks to safely ride their bikes on and take advantage of the many parks nearby. They can walk or ride to school. When we need to go to the airports or Chicago, it is at least 45 minutes closer than farther northwest. For a more rural feeling, I recommend Prospect Heights. Large lots, good schools with the advantages of not being so far out. My guess is because of higher property taxes outside of NW Cook Co., you could probably afford a house that is $30-$50K more than outside Cook Co. and still have the same monthly payment.

Now if you do move farther out, I personally would stay VERY far away from Dist 300 and Dist-U46. Sure they have some good schools but they also have some very mediocre schools as well. I perceive Crystal Lake and Cary have better schools.No high school in McHenry or Kane Co. made US News & World Reports list of best high schools .Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report
District 214 which serves Arlington Heights and surrounding communities had most of its schools make the list including Hersey, Prospect, Buffalo Grove, Rolling meadows and Wheeling. Not to say you won't find good schools farther out, but the schools around here are a definite plus.
Good luck with your relocation.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM

202 posts, read 715,043 times
Default Geneva=Mayberry??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post
I would look at Geneva/St. Charles. I am biased living in Geneva, but both have very unique/charming dowtowns with tree lined streets. St. Charles caters toward more of a younger crowd(20s/30s), while Geneva is more of a mayberry feeling that caters towards older individuals and does have a metra.
Again being biased, I think the Fox Valley offers the best quality of life in the burbs. The only downfall is that we are smack in the middle of interstate 88 and 90, so getting to downtown Chicago does take longer that other burbs closer to the highway.

Allthough Geneva has a very quaint downtown area - it is far from Mayberry! Geneva is very nice, but in my opinion is much more about keeping up with the Jones' - Materialistic - alot of high-end stores, houses, cars - for the most part. What part of Mayberry is like that?

If you want more of a taste of Mayberry - relaxed, friendly people, peace & quiet/country atmosphere, yet still have metra trains, try going a bit further west of Geneva to either Elburn or Maple Park - way more relaxed and no traffic congestion, yet close enough to schools, shopping, etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
beth,
you should look in the rural st. charles, campton hills, wasco area. They attend st. charles school district. you can find large lots, schools, shopping, athletics, movies etc.
a little further west and you have elburn, maple park, sugar grove(a little south) kaneville. all have rural areas with larger lots available. good schools, sense of community. the western towns have less to do, but all is within 20 minutes drive time.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
I LOVE Geneva and St. Charles! Great schools, nice people, shopping, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs