Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:50 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,852 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a city dweller that has lived on the south side of chicago all of my life, and this is just MY perspective, while the homes in the south suburbs are very nice and affordable which is great, it seems the area is lacking in entertainment, nice malls, etc. Verses north and west suburbs where there is a better variety of nice malls, Great America, nicer theaters, laser tag, paintball, go-kart racing, etc.

I mean goodness, I haven't been to River Oaks mall in at least 8 years and I mean that used to be my spot! What stopped me from going there? Its like they forgot that not all Black people like to wear hip hop gear. I think there were like 5 different Foot Lockers the last time I was there! I'm like Hello, where is Anne Klein, Marc Jacobs, hell Naturalizer, you know?! And the quality of the clothing. I don't know why but it seems like they started shipping the factory rejects to the stores there. I mean come on, Rainbow? Seriously? You can find Rainbow in any hood near you. We actually used to go to the movie theater there. Then that started going down. Its the exact same scenario with Evergreen Plaza.

As someone else mentioned Orland Park, while very lovely, the traffic is just horrific. I loved going to the antique shops there though. But yeah, I would not move to the south suburbs just to have to travel west or north for entertainment and shopping. I'm doing that in the city already now, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
I think it is tough to say, as many people decide where they live based on where they work. I work in Chicago, and I live in Chicago. If I were to get a job in South Chicagoland, I would not have a problem with living in a south suburb. I would probably head over to Southlake mall in Indiana to make big purchases and take advantage of their more reasonable sales tax.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:05 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
everything obviously depends on where I am working, but for my current situation (working some in Hyde Park, some in the Loop, rarely on the north side) I would consider Flossmoor very seriously. Beyond Flossmoor I like Beverly. That's about it from what I've seen. Both places are way too boring for me, but when you factor in the space, proximity to loop, reality of life with kids, etc. they come out near the top of the list. Both are exceedingly attractive residential areas. Beverly is close-in enough that it lets me live much of my life in the heart of the city without making a special trip of it.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
I live very close to Flossmoor...and I absolutely love it too. If I get a job in the city, it would absolutely have to be on the south side, because the travel time is too great.

I understand now why some won't want to live out here...work seems to top it off. US Traveller has a very valid point. I applaud you for sticking by your community.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 25,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Speaking as a city dweller that has lived on the south side of chicago all of my life, and this is just MY perspective, while the homes in the south suburbs are very nice and affordable which is great, it seems the area is lacking in entertainment, nice malls, etc. Verses north and west suburbs where there is a better variety of nice malls, Great America, nicer theaters, laser tag, paintball, go-kart racing, etc.

I mean goodness, I haven't been to River Oaks mall in at least 8 years and I mean that used to be my spot! What stopped me from going there? Its like they forgot that not all Black people like to wear hip hop gear. I think there were like 5 different Foot Lockers the last time I was there! I'm like Hello, where is Anne Klein, Marc Jacobs, hell Naturalizer, you know?! And the quality of the clothing. I don't know why but it seems like they started shipping the factory rejects to the stores there. I mean come on, Rainbow? Seriously? You can find Rainbow in any hood near you. We actually used to go to the movie theater there. Then that started going down. Its the exact same scenario with Evergreen Plaza.
LOL
The mall has changed for the better IMO since you were there. I went last week and saw not only Blacks, but Hispanic and Whites. There are rumors that the mall will receive an expansion. (A second level and a fifth department store.) As for FootLocker, their stores are separated by men's, women's, and kids's. That might be why you saw so many.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I'm reviving this thread (maybe fruitlessly) but I do wonder is that really why people don't move here?

I have been thinking this over and over and over, and I just don't think it's that bad here. I mean, look at Olympia Fields!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:52 AM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I'm reviving this thread (maybe fruitlessly) but I do wonder is that really why people don't move here?

I have been thinking this over and over and over, and I just don't think it's that bad here. I mean, look at Olympia Fields!
No thanks.

Been there, done that, have the Homewood Days t-shirt.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
I love driving down Western through Flossmoor and Olympia Fields. Most of the homes are bigger than I would need or want but I love the area.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I love driving down Western through Flossmoor and Olympia Fields. Most of the homes are bigger than I would need or want but I love the area.
Olympia Fields, eh? You know that the east side of the road is Chicago Heights and the west side of the road is Olympia Fields, right? So in other words, you like driving through Flossmoor, Olympia Fields and Chicago Heights on Western Avenue. I'm just saying.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
I grew up in the Northwestern burbs and have never lived south of Hyde Park. The Chicago area is just so huge that I really haven't had any reason to spend any time in the south burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs