U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
1,070 posts, read 1,762,742 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Honestly, what you get in say flossmoor is very comparable to what you will get in hinsdale at a much higher price range. Not saying hinsdale is not worth alot more because it is. Folks out there make alot more overall and spend more on there houses. Alot of people over idealize the nice house in the nice neighborhood thing because they don't have either. Truth is having a nice 5000 sqft plus mansion on 2 wooded acres in wealthy "flossmoor estates" feels just as superb as living in a comparable mansion in hinsdale. And much better than living in a less comparable house in hinsdale. The "dream" of affording a nice house in hinsdale or within the "new trier" school district boundaries up north is completely off the table for 98 percent of people anyway. Most folks will never be able to afford a nice house in flossmoor let alone a nice house in hinsdale.
Thank you for telling it like it is.

However, I won't say most will -never- be able to afford a home in Flossmoor, maybe it's just it isn't for everyone? It's not just about buying the house and paying the taxes, it's a whole different lifestyle that comes with living in Flossmoor and Hinsdale.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM
 
829 posts, read 1,104,360 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Honestly, what you get in say flossmoor is very comparable to what you will get in hinsdale at a much higher price range. Not saying hinsdale is not worth alot more because it is. Folks out there make alot more overall and spend more on there houses. Alot of people over idealize the nice house in the nice neighborhood thing because they don't have either. Truth is having a nice 5000 sqft plus mansion on 2 wooded acres in wealthy "flossmoor estates" feels just as superb as living in a comparable mansion in hinsdale. And much better than living in a less comparable house in hinsdale. The "dream" of affording a nice house in hinsdale or within the "new trier" school district boundaries up north is completely off the table for 98 percent of people anyway. Most folks will never be able to afford a nice house in flossmoor let alone a nice house in hinsdale.


Pictures of some of the homes in the "Flossmoor estates" area and downtown Flossmoor.

Where would you go?-32074000040000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-32073020130000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-31124040200000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-31124040110000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-31124020170000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-31122100250000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-31122070220000_aa.jpg

Where would you go?-dsc01192.jpg

Where would you go?-cimg3743.jpg

Where would you go?-4682143548_4bf66ff094.jpg

Where would you go?-3339317833_61226319b9.jpg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 PM
 
3,524 posts, read 4,525,378 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Truth is having a nice 5000 sqft plus mansion on 2 wooded acres in wealthy "flossmoor estates" feels just as superb as living in a comparable mansion in hinsdale.
It does?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
1,070 posts, read 1,762,742 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It does?
Oh come on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 4,160,179 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Pictures of some of the homes in the "Flossmoor estates" area and downtown Flossmoor.
Those are some really nice houses from the looks of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It does?
It definitely looks like it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
1,070 posts, read 1,762,742 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Those are some really nice houses from the looks of it.



It definitely looks like it!
It's also an excellent, very quiet and safe neighborhood.

Unbelievable how someone could possibly doubt that. I WISH I could live back there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 AM
 
139 posts, read 184,484 times
Reputation: 37
[quote=allen2323;18255038]Pictures of some of the homes in the "Flossmoor estates" area and downtown Flossmoor.

You don't think that the very closely neighbored Harvey or Dolton can hurt the communities of Flossmoor and Homewood?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM
 
3,524 posts, read 4,525,378 times
Reputation: 2094
[quote=packmanbears;18257609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Pictures of some of the homes in the "Flossmoor estates" area and downtown Flossmoor.

You don't think that the very closely neighbored Harvey or Dolton can hurt the communities of Flossmoor and Homewood?
I know you weren't talking to me but ... Dolton is, all things considered, a decent distance away from Homewood-Flossmoor. I'd be more concerned that Phoenix, Markham, East Hazel Crest and the Heights would have more of a detrimental effect on the HF area before Dolton would.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 AM
 
829 posts, read 1,104,360 times
Reputation: 279
The crime rate in flossmoor is identical to the crime rate in hinsdale. Totally safe. Flossmoor is one of the safest suburbs in the entire chicagoland area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
 
3,524 posts, read 4,525,378 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The crime rate in flossmoor is identical to the crime rate in hinsdale. Totally safe. Flossmoor is one of the safest suburbs in the entire chicagoland area.
The difference - and it's a big one - is that Flossmoor is very close to other neighborhoods that have MUCH higher crime rates. Overall, Hinsdale is surrounded by other communities with similar low crime rates.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top