U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,504,555 times

Advertisements

This may seem ridiculous, but I really want to know.

If you had an $300K budget, could afford a reasonably priced car, and were looking for a place to live...would you move anywhere in South Chicagoland?

As a resident of the south suburbs, a very happy resident at that, I have read forums, asked friends, even my family why the south burbs are unappealing, but I can't seem to get any other answer besides white flight.

Someone, anyone out there have a real reason why they would or would not move here?

Serious replies only.

Last edited by deechee; 08-12-2009 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 PM

1,273 posts, read 3,846,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
This may seem ridiculous, but I really want to know.

If you had an $300K budget, could afford a reasonably priced car, and were looking for a place to live...would you move anywhere in South Chicagoland?

As a resident of the south suburbs, a very happy resident at that, I have read forums, asked friends, even my family why the south burbs are unappealing, but I can't seem to get any other answer besides white flight.

Someone, anyone out there have a real reason why they would or would not move here?

Serious replies only.
I would have a difficult time living in the southern suburbs. I also am restricted to living by a church of my faith that only exists on the North Shore and in the western suburbs.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 3,689,594 times
I wonder did the northern and southern burbs evolve differently like the north and south sides of the city. The northside was the more residential area and the southside the more industrial area. Historically the northside of the city was usually a tad more expensive to live in that the Southside (depending on neighborhood).

I seem to see more heavy industry to the south of the city than to the north (perhaps due to the calumet).

I suspect that there are few houses to the south worth 300k because most the people who live in these places are not making enough to buy a 300k house.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I wonder did the northern and southern burbs evolve differently like the north and south sides of the city. The northside was the more residential area and the southside the more industrial area. Historically the northside of the city was usually a tad more expensive to live in that the Southside (depending on neighborhood).

I seem to see more heavy industry to the south of the city than to the north (perhaps due to the calumet).

I suspect that there are few houses to the south worth 300k because most the people who live in these places are not making enough to buy a 300k house.
I do believe that the north side developed better and faster than the south because (as I think you're trying to say) it was residential initially, and was never full of industrial and manufacturing sites....maybe I'm wrong? Someone here know anything about that?

You'd be surprised how expensive housing is around me. The taxes amaze me to no end.

There is definitely not a shortage of 300k homes in Country Club Hills, Matteson, Olympia Fields, Tinley Park, Orland Park...and so on.

I just never understood why no one takes advantage of them. I certainly enjoy living here, feel very safe, and love cruising down Cicero, Pulaski, and sometimes Harlem. There is the walking trail round these parts that still makes me smile every time I see it. I'm old enough to remember when almost all of the new homes built out in Matteson were formerly big patches of bright green grass or dirt.

Why does no one take advantage of these beautiful older homes and great new construction homes? They are in safe areas and have really nice lots to go with them. *puzzled*

Old 08-13-2009, 07:40 AM

188 posts, read 365,151 times
Homewood.

When I was growing up there, I had the all-too-common teen's lament of "Aww, man, this is sooo boring..." but now, looking back, I realize that Homewood is a pretty nicely set-up town. Great housing stock to choose from. Good public schools. Tons of available shopping. Great parks and recreation. All that jazz. I've also got a ton of hazy, nostalgic memories about the place, and that means something to me. I equate Homewood with friends, family, growing up, etc...and I'm glad I did it all there, basically.

After a few years moving around, I came back to the area and moved to Orland, which was a mistake, I feel. The traffic, oh my sweet Christ the traffic. There's no trees taller than thirty feet where I live. It's just got this underlying soullessness about it. It's one huge, interconnected strip-mall. Iunno.

So, yeah - Homewood.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,230,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJAnsia View Post
Homewood.

When I was growing up there, I had the all-too-common teen's lament of "Aww, man, this is sooo boring..." but now, looking back, I realize that Homewood is a pretty nicely set-up town. Great housing stock to choose from. Good public schools. Tons of available shopping. Great parks and recreation. All that jazz. I've also got a ton of hazy, nostalgic memories about the place, and that means something to me. I equate Homewood with friends, family, growing up, etc...and I'm glad I did it all there, basically.

After a few years moving around, I came back to the area and moved to Orland, which was a mistake, I feel. The traffic, oh my sweet Christ the traffic. There's no trees taller than thirty feet where I live. It's just got this underlying soullessness about it. It's one huge, interconnected strip-mall. Iunno.

So, yeah - Homewood.

I agree Homewood has a lot going for it. It was a burb I considered moving to for a while, but it wasn't far enough away from Blue Island in distance and spirit to feel like it was move-worthy for us.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,237,891 times
My girlfriend's sisters live off of 175th and Harlem in Tinley. We go there every so often to visit and I'm pretty indifferent about it. There're a few cool shops near the train station, but nothing else really catches my eye.

I've cruised up Crawford and Kedzie from Route 30 on numerous occasions and wasn't ever really wowed. Not that a place is supposed to do that, but I suppose I'd rather take my 300K and go elsewhere.

This isn't to say where I live is terribly exciting either. I happen to like Joliet because it has a very rich history and is a fairly large city (over 145,000 people). YMMV.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM

I see, I see.

I'm sure you weren't wowed by Crawford/Pulaski, but the homes that are off of that street are pretty nice.

Try cruising up and down Flossmoor Road. I love it. Maybe it's just me because I like trees. Then again, as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times
I wouldnt give up the far Western 'burbs for nothin. Sorry!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
Beverly, Mount Greenwood, maybe Evergreen Park or Oak Lawn. Not much interested in the rest of south Chicagoland, be it the older/grittier parts or the shiny new Orland-y parts. Maybe Flossmoor. Maybe. Relatively quick access to the Three Floyds brewery would be a nice perk I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or