Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM

17 posts, read 64,265 times

Advertisements

I'll move to Schaumburg next year on a company sponsorship. I currently live in Toronto Canada and need some assistance regarding the following:

Best place to live on a 90K salary for a family of 4 (two kids and wife)
Best school districts
Cost of living comparison between Schaumburg ( or Chicago suburbs)and Toronto
Day care cost
rental cost
public transportation cost

Thank everyone in advance for your assistance.

-Walla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
Best place to live on a 90K salary for a family of 4 (two kids and wife)---Tough to live on 90k for 4. check out village green if u want to rent.
Best school districts---definitely has to be barrington, but for that you either have to live in Barrington or Hoffman, both are next to Schaumburg

Cost of living comparison between Schaumburg ( or Chicago suburbs)and Toronto---I'd say similiar

Day care cost---$2000 a month for two is a fair estimate
rental cost---for family of 4, I'd imagine you need at least a 3 bedroom place? if so, the average rent for a decent 3 bedroom townhome is around $1800 or $2000 a month. Short-term rentals typically go for $100 a day or $3000 a month.
public transportation cost---good luck. If you want to live in the burb, I'd say forget about public transportation. The only exception is if u go to the city and need to take the metra, which is about $8 one way from schmg to the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by walallypo View Post
I'll move to Schaumburg next year on a company sponsorship. I currently live in Toronto Canada and need some assistance regarding the following:

Best place to live on a 90K salary for a family of 4 (two kids and wife)
Best school districts
Cost of living comparison between Schaumburg ( or Chicago suburbs)and Toronto
Day care cost
rental cost
public transportation cost

Thank everyone in advance for your assistance.

-Walla

Old 08-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Best place to live on a 90K salary for a family of 4 (two kids and wife)---Tough to live on 90k for 4. check out village green if u want to rent.

Day care cost---$2000 a month for two is a fair estimate
to the city

Thank you for the quick reply.

I guess I'll be living on a very tight budget after all expenses (Rent, Day care, car, insurance, groceries). WIll most likely need a second income.

-Walla

Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I am sure that MANY people live the area an far less than $90K a year. Day care is certainly available for less than $200/wk , I know several coworkers paying that amount for infants.

The highest rated schools districts are generally in areas with the most expensive homes. The cost a rental home might be around $3000/mo in the more desirable areas, but there are certainly places available for far less than that.

Schaumburg is not well served by public transit -- it is a VERY car centric area.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Not sure what my income would be like after taxes. I know the state tax is in the 3% range. Do you know the federal tax %?

Walla

Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM

A 90k income will probably net you around $2k every two weeks, after federal tax, state tax, medicare, social security, 401k, health insurance, dental etc. And state income tax is going up to 4.5% from 3% next year.

And with your income, if you dont have a lot to deduct (student loans, mortgage payments, dependents, medical expenses, legal fees, moving costs, etc etc) to reach a much lower AGI, you're looking at 30% fed tax rate. So assuming you get biweekly pay, 90k (divided by 26) translates into $3460 before any expenses. Dependig on the coverage you need, you are looking at $200 to $300 per pay check for medical/dental for family of 4. let's take the midpoint, now you have $3210 left. Then add 30%fed+4.5%state+6%(401k)+7.65%(medicare and social security combo)=48.15% so your net take home pay is only $1664 =3210*(1-48.15%).

Assuming you dont want to participate in 401k, you are taking home just over $1800.

Quote:
Not sure what my income would be like after taxes. I know the state tax is in the 3% range. Do you know the federal tax %?

Walla

Last edited by lincolnparker; 08-13-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM

To attend a certain school, you have to live in that school district. The best rated school district around Schaumburg is Barrington School District, and Barrington is an expensive place to live. And yes, to live in Barrington, you would have to pay $3000 for a 3 bedroom townhome or the like, to chet everett's point. I know certain parts of Hoffman also belong to Barrington School District, and it is relatively cheaper to live in Hoffman, but still expect to fork over $2000 for rent. Add to that, Chicagoland has the nation's highest gas price because of extensive taxation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am sure that MANY people live the area an far less than $90K a year. Day care is certainly available for less than $200/wk , I know several coworkers paying that amount for infants.

The highest rated schools districts are generally in areas with the most expensive homes. The cost a rental home might be around $3000/mo in the more desirable areas, but there are certainly places available for far less than that.

Schaumburg is not well served by public transit -- it is a VERY car centric area.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 PM

After weighing in some of the resposes I got. It is certain that I would need more than 90K to live in a better school district area. I thought it would be an easy transition but it seems that there is little to gain giving the cost factor.

Thanks you all

-Walla

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
...I know the state tax is in the 3% range....
The state income tax is probably going to go A LOT up very very soon.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Not encouraging at all. at the end of the day one ends up paying close to 25% in taxes. Not much difference with Canada after all.

Walla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs