Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM

24 posts, read 60,086 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in the Oak Park area, but I am not sure about this move as we currently live in a small town in Northwestern Illinois where we have a 4 bedroom home with 3 baths, only 6 years old, and probably will not be able to sell for more than $200,000.00. Obviously we will need to spend more to purchase in the area, but not sure where to look, to have a safe neighborhood, good schools, etc. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM

69 posts, read 393,775 times
It all depends on how far he wants to commute. I just moved out here from a small town in Iowa and experienced the same dilemma (except I didn't need to sell a home as I just rented in Iowa).

There are quite a few nice areas around oak park. I would just avoid being anywhere near the Interstates. That seems to be where the most danger lies.

As for the 200k, thats not going to buy you a 4 bed/3 bath out here, but I just bought a 3 bed/2 bath for about 240k in the Tinley area (more south). I would guess you could find something similar for around the same in oak park, especially the market being what it is. The farther west or south you go the cheaper the homes will be but the more commute your husband will have to experience.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
Berwyn or Brookfield. Both have unassuming housing stock, and are near west suburbs, so they're near Oak Park. Brookfield share a school district with Riverside, and in some spots La Grange, and the school are quite good. Its very practical, affordable, and safe - and you're right by the zoo and forest preserves.

I don't know as much about Berwyn, but I've heard its got a lot of bungalows and is underappreciated and affordable.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Even in the most affordable areas close to Oak Park $200K will not buy a 4bd/3ba home unless it is very very very very poor condition/location.

If you want a newer home you will face a very long and largely unpredictable commute, as you (or husband) would need to drive about 25+ miles. Doing so during peak rush hour even in good weather could easily take over an hour.

If you are open to older homes Brookfield might be a good option, but even then I would expect a 4bd/3ba to be hard to find for for under $350K...

The lifestyle is undoubtedly very different as well, the homes will be much closer together, the focus on community different too.

On the plus side, if you do move to someplace like Brookfield you can take advantage on an easy train ride to Chicago, good schools, safe streets, neighborhood resturants, a short walk to the Zoo, miles of Forest Preserve bicycle trails and other things that no rural area in NW IL can offer...

Lots to think about!

Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM

24 posts, read 60,086 times
Thanks so much for the replies.

We only have one young son, so a 2 bedroom will do for the time being, but I have to admit it will be hard to swallow.

On the plus side, a foreset preserve does sound nice.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
I think 3-bedrooms will be possible for your pricing - much moreso than a 4BR. It opens up a larger selection of older housing stock. Go to Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® and see what's lsiting in Brookfeild. Also, if there's not much, I am told home listing pick up in early fall, so keep checking.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
elmwood park or berwyn would probably work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs