Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,662 times

Advertisements

I have just moved from MI, and would appreciate any experiences, thoughts on public vs private (specifically Catholic) in Evanston. I am in the Lincoln School bounderies, but unsure about the quality of that school, and safety,etc. I have looked at Pope John XXIII and haven't heard a lot about it. I saw that it was a 2008 Blue Ribbon School, but does that have any significance? I don't want to just "write a check" every month for the same thing I could get essentially at Lincoln. Pope John is def cheaper though than any of the other Montessori's and Privates in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,227,909 times
the public schools in evanston are good. they are diverse and have good test scores.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM

305 posts, read 1,112,801 times
As you know, Evanston is a very diverse place economically, and the schools reflect that. As an overwhelming rule, kids who come from stable homes with the advantages and resources to support education tend to perform very well. Kids without such advantages tend to perform less well. The schools have a lot of resources and provide an excellent education to those who can take advantage of it.

With that background, my experience in Evanston has been that the families choosing Catholic schools often fall into one of the following:

1. Just want Catholic because of the religion/values aspect;
2. Are concerned their child will not thrive in a large, diverse environment and want something smaller or more nurturing;
3. Are concerned about the potential influence of lower income minorities on their children's ability to learn (this is equally, if not more, an issue for more affluent African-American families in Evanston).

The last category is one that many, if not most, families at least think about before enrolling their kids in the public schools. We certainly did. But again, experience has shown this to be an actual problem for very few children unless there's some underlying reason those children might be easily distracted from their learning.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 PM

62 posts, read 223,763 times
Default Welcome to Evanston!

No need to worry, you are in a great situation school-wise. Lincoln Elem. is well regarded locally, and I'd have no concerns about sending my children there. My neighbors send their children to Pope John and are very happy with their children's educational opportunities. Pope John parents also seem close knit and do a lot to support the school.

Whether you decide on public or private, you may want to check out greatschools.net.
Best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: