Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times

Advertisements

I visited Elgin today with my father, who grew up there in the 1940's/1950's. Anyways, the sign in front of his old elementary school was written in Spanish! (No English translation)

The sign said, in Spanish, "Open house 12 of September". Again, there was no English at all on the sign, not even a translation in the margin of the sign. We were sickened.

Are there any long-time residents of Elgin who are appalled by the extortion of the English language? This is a PUBLIC INSTITUTION, for god's sake, and no English??? Are there long time residents of similar suburbs who are upset by the uprooting of American culture but do not know what to do? I assume the school is now a failing school too. Funny how neighborhoods always go downhill when these kinds of things happen.

I want to know how I can fight this. Hopefully my neck of the woods is never overrun like this...

Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 PM

149 posts, read 830,941 times
That's probably the open house for hispanics only.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
that seems strange, is it still an active public school, or is the building being used for some other purpose now? if its still a public school the sign should be in english. out of curiosity, you should inquire further about the building and the sign.

i dont mind pple coming here legally if they attempt to assimilate with the rest of us, work hard and be a benefit rather than a hindrance to the communities. certainly they are welcome to keep their own traditions, have pride in where they are from etc, but if they want to live in america, learn the language, speak it in public, and try and be friendly to new pple. many ive seen speak their own language in public, and seem down right unfriendly when offered a smile. this behavior is making them be less accepted in communities.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
That's probably the open house for hispanics only.
You really think so? If that's the case than that's just wrong. So much for assimilation...

I like other cultures, but geez, have you been to Elgin lately?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Elgin is nothing new, Elgin is just the tip of the iceberg. Visit Cicero, IL... you swear you in Mexico

Third world is becoming overuse. Don't Cubans run South Florida and I heard you can't go nowhere without hearing Spanish.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Elgin is nothing new, Elgin is just the tip of the iceberg. Visit Cicero, IL... you swear you in Mexico

Third world is becoming overuse. Don't Cubans run South Florida and I heard you can't go nowhere without hearing Spanish.
That's different because in Miami you're only 200 miles from Cuba. It's just strange to see a suburb with only (per census data) 34% Hispanic population feel like 90% Hispanic. My passive observations today made me think that the census was way off...

Old 08-23-2009, 07:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
That's different because in Miami you're only 200 miles from Cuba. It's just strange to see a suburb with only (per census data) 34% Hispanic population feel like 90% Hispanic. My passive observations today made me think that the census was way off...

Well I looked at the 2007 census and the Hispanic percentage jumped to 42%. And mind you 34% is high considering we're in the Midwest and middle of the country. I been to Aurora(south of Elgin) and they have a high Mexican population on the Eastside. And since Elgin is a large suburb, maybe you were on the side Hispanics are concentrated the most. Kane County as a whole is almost 30% Hispanic

And do they even count illegals into the census?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Generally, illegals are not counted in the census because it is impossible to find them. The only way to count the legals is for them to fill out the census form and return it. The same goes for illegals. If the form is not returned for each household, then the census takers come around and try to solicit the information. THe illegals generally do not participate.

Chicagoland has an estimated 500K to 750K illegals. The majority are from Mexico, but a significant portion are from the Eastern bloc countries such as Russia, Ukraine, Poland, and the Czech Republic.

I find it hard to believe that the sign was not also in English. I am willing to bet that the sign was in both English and Spanish, or the sign was electric and alternated between English and Spanish.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
oh BOO HOO. Get over it. This country has been changing and evolving since day one. Just because the "evil people" who are going to destroy our country aren't the white Irish and Italians who were despised 100 years ago doesn't mean we're all doomed.

I like how people are shocked to learn that up until World War I, the language that was used most in public schools around the great lakes and upper midwest was actually German, not English.

So now people speak Spanish. Fine. We're all here living in the United States, and people come here for a reason which is normally not for destruction. Our lives conisist of a very very small portion of our country's history, and the future is still out there. Be a little open minded.

At least they're going to school! Look at all the trash that was born in the United States speaking English that could care less about education or society. What an embarassing thread!!!!!

Someone pointed out that almost 30% of Kane County is hispanic now. Well the population below the poverty line is 6.7%, or less than half of the state or national average. I'm more concerned with that statistic then if someone is of german, mexican, swedish or chinese background.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 08-23-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 PM

53 posts, read 141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnjm76 View Post
This is what liberal, white idiots wanted and this is what they're getting.
Do you think Hispanics care about being "politically correct" especially since the Jews who control the media only call people of European heritage out on possible discrimination? What you're seeing now in places like Elgin is just the tip of the iceberg and it's going to get ugly sooner rather than later if the economy doesn't begin to recover soon and non-Hispanics who were born in this country become more and more fed up.
Everything you say is true. Totally. But also don't forget the greedy business owners that hire the Third Worlders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs