U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 18,156 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the responses, its good to know that there are alternatives available out there, and if we make the move we will likely make some trips back to the Northeast around holidays/long weekends for skiing. Its just that we currently like to go skiing about twice a month during the winter and a week at Christmas and around Presidents Day (which is a school whole week's vacation in the northeast)- so this really made the winters fly by fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM

19,656 posts, read 51,231,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcjamn1 View Post
Thanks for all of the responses, its good to know that there are alternatives available out there, and if we make the move we will likely make some trips back to the Northeast around holidays/long weekends for skiing. Its just that we currently like to go skiing about twice a month during the winter and a week at Christmas and around Presidents Day (which is a school whole week's vacation in the northeast)- so this really made the winters fly by fast.
The hills around here arent like the NE, but there are some resorts relatively close that might fill your desire to ski. Check out Chestnut Mountain in Galena, IL, Devil's Head in WI, Rib Mountain, etc. If you want to stay real close to the area, you can do the cheesy man made hill in Elgin (its name escapes me at the moment) or go to the Raging Buffalo park in the area, but I think that might be only snowboarding.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 PM

19,656 posts, read 51,231,150 times
Rib Mountain:
Flickr Photo Download: ski lift on Rib Mountain (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31183319@N00/439281723/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Devils Head:
Devil's Head ski resort in Wisconsin on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/saludares/3332023569/ - broken link)

Chestnut Mountain in Galena, IL:
Flickr Photo Download: Islands in the Mississippi River from Chestnut Mountain, Illinois (http://www.flickr.com/photos/anaguma/2500289167/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Most agree that the Lutsen Mountains in MN are the best for skiing in the Midwest:
Flickr Photo Download: Na szczycie Moose Mountain (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aniagarratt/335879011/sizes/o/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: lutsen mountain (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8327111@N03/717705094/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 AM

21,278 posts, read 19,344,335 times
We went to Herrick Lake a few weeks ago and rented a canoe. I believe you can rent snowshoes there in the wintertime, which sounds fun to try. Our favorite thing is to find a nice hill and sled down it!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM

816 posts, read 1,261,101 times
Of the ski resorts being mentioned here, Granite Peaks, in Wausau, WI is probably the best one. It is in Rib Mountain State Park, but the actual name of the resort is Granite Peaks. The vertical rise is the largest in the state of Wisconsin and larger than anything in Illinois, Iowa Wisconsin Ski Area Mountain Stats | SkiReport.com. It is about a 4 hour drive from Chicago- probably the best ski trip you can do on a weekend if you drive up Friday night.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM

816 posts, read 1,261,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And are CT. winters mild? I thought y'all got plenty of snow and cold also.
CT winters are milder than Chicago. The average high/low in January in Greenwich are 37/23, while in Chicago they are 30/16.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM

284 posts, read 545,552 times
As far as snow goes, the thing I've found that sucks about Chicago winters is the snow melts almost as fast as it falls, so the end result is that we get lots of ICE. Skiing would have to be done in Wisconsin or Michigan. But as far as the original question goes, there are other things to do here, namely going to museums, which are reasonably priced if you get family memberships, and places like Garfield Park Conservatory, which is free.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 AM

860 posts, read 1,193,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The upper peninsula of Michigan has the best skiing I've seen in the midwest, but it's still pretty much a joke compared to what you would find in Vermont or Colorado. The serious skiiers I know around here head out west a few times each winter.
. we used to go to a place called Powderhorn Mountain its prob 6-7 hrs but the hills (or mountains) were the best I've seen in the midwest

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

33 posts, read 55,893 times
Are there good groomed cross country skiing trails? My husband and I are going to be moving to St. Charles from Anchorage within the next year and would love to continue to cross country ski. Any good trails?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 PM

10,692 posts, read 18,283,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Of the ski resorts being mentioned here, Granite Peaks, in Wausau, WI is probably the best one. It is in Rib Mountain State Park, but the actual name of the resort is Granite Peaks. The vertical rise is the largest in the state of Wisconsin and larger than anything in Illinois, Iowa Wisconsin Ski Area Mountain Stats | SkiReport.com. It is about a 4 hour drive from Chicago- probably the best ski trip you can do on a weekend if you drive up Friday night.
Rib Mountain (or Granite Peaks as the ski hill is now called) is the best in Wisconsin (or it was while I was in high school in the early 90s). But many of the ski resorts in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are better. You just have to decide if the extra hours of driving are worth it. Wausau is pretty far north, but the U.P. is REALLY far north. The big ones in the U.P. used to be Indianhead, Powderhorn, and Blackjack, but I don't know who's tops up there anymore. My information is dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs