Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times

Advertisements

I never lived in Lansing but when I was really young I briefly lived in Highland, Indiana not too far across the stateline. I had an uncle & aunt that lived in Lansing though for a few years. Back then it seemed like an ok place to live, not the greatest, not the worst. As far as these demographic changes people refer to. I know for sure that a lot of the housing projects in the city of Chicago are being torn down (often due to gentrification) and thus you are seeing a lot of Section 8 types of people migrate down to the south suburbs (and other areas). This could be about socioeconomic class disparities, this could be about race, this could be about fear, who knows. But either way a lot of those types are ending up in the south burbs from what I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
For those of us who have grown up on the south side, racial segregation is all we know. I've lived in Lansing for some time and the element of people moving into town now are not of a desirable nature. Most are from the poor sections of the south side and they bring their problems with them. I'm more than willing to get along with my neighbors but it's hard to do when you get the gangster stare from them because I'm white. Here's to another nice town going down the drain. I also don't believe that Lansing will be another Homewood, there's too much section eight housing in lansing. If this is what "diversity" is, you can keep it.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I would say that it is more about socioeconomic status than race. I grew up in areas that were very integrated and people of all ethnic groups complained when certain elements moved in from some of the housing projects and rough areas on the south and west side and brought a lot of those problems with them (gangs, etc).

Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM

19 posts, read 89,893 times
Default Mediamonster

I'm also with mediamonster on his thoughts and I'm so sick of the whole "close minded/ racist" label that gets put on white people.

It's called experience and wisdom. I'm from Detroit originally which is one of the biggest ghetto's in the world. People move out of neighborhoods for reasons. People also stay out of black neighborhoods (most) for reasons.I like a lot of black people. My best man was black and I have been best man for two black friends.

Unfortunately, I do not have mind telepathy to tell me which black people are trustworthy and since they do create such a "gangsta" image for themselves, how the hell am I supposed to approach them. Most of the black people I meet dress just like their rap star idols who brag about their guns and drugs.

Pants down around their a**, can't speak straight english, hat tipped sideways, gold chains.......I'm supposed to trust them?? How about if I dress in a white sheet, will they trust me?? Black parents, find better heroes for your kids. And not Martin Luther King or Malcolm X (unless your ready to painstakingly seperate their real greatness from the rapstars version). Yes, those great black rap stars have ruined their own heroes.

Drive through predominantly black neighborhoods (most of them, not all) and see what I mean. Crapholes. No pride.

I work in the nightclub industry and I'm constantly attacked as being a racist because certain wardrobes don't meet dresscode. Then I'm usually thrown threats of violence and black caucuses. Black people who dress like gangsters - get off it. Dress respectably, speak straight english and quit your evil "I hate white men" stares and you'll be treated with respect.

I live in the west suburbs now and while I hate my children going to schools with a handful of black people, it is clean and friendly. Not even a hint of drugs on the streets or prostitutes or drive-by's. Those are all found in the secret confines of white-collar offices.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 89,893 times
Default correction

and while I hate my children going to schools with a handful of black people

I should have said, "While I wish my kids could be infused with different cultures....."

In other words, I wish there were more than just a few black kids. Nazi's are just as bad as gangsta's.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 23,398 times
It's definatially not about race, they choose to portray them selves as gangstas, they way they choose to dress and act and talk dosn't do much good for them. It truley annoyes me when someone can't speak good english (and yes I know I can't spell) maybe it's they fact that I'm one of the few teens who still say perhaps, or quite, or care about being proper, some people act ghetto and it gives black and mexicans a bad name. I'm mexican myself, but until I told my friends at school no one thought so, but thought that I was white.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 19,787 times
I think people should stop going on word of mouth as everyone opinion is different and I find that most people who bad mouth a suburb has never lived there. You can find all the crime demographics, etc. on city-data.com. This information is based on actual records and not he say, she say.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM

31 posts, read 210,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anointedyoung View Post
I think people should stop going on word of mouth as everyone opinion is different and I find that most people who bad mouth a suburb has never lived there. You can find all the crime demographics, etc. on city-data.com. This information is based on actual records and not he say, she say.
Most towns only report demographics every time a census is taken. Lansing's demographics were last taken in 2000. It reported that the town makeup being approx. 85% white, 10% black, and 5% hispanic, in 2007 these figures are WAY out of date, as a good bulk of the white population has moved out of town. I'm going to go opposite your opinion and say that word of mouth is a very good way to get a feel for an area, as statistics don't tell the whole story. The village of Lansing is very good at keeping stuff out of the papers. I'm surprised they allowed that attempted murder at one of our bars intot the paper, and I haven't seen anything about the shooting that occured last night.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-28-2007, 07:55 AM

51 posts, read 135,780 times
Default Good Info

Yes, I do believe word of mouth is more accurate than the media or papers...
Good to know, thanks...

Scar

Old 04-06-2007, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 43,661 times
Grassroots word-of-mouth, indeed. And what we see from lawn to lawn, while demographic trends most often confirm. Whether we talk about it or not, whether we like it or not, Country Club Hills properties are suddenly being bought & sold like whores & hotcakes on a spot market. Compare that demographic profile to the ARM lending practices. Whether borrowers or lenders, we all own that. And not for better but for worse. I see no "sex offenders" in that equation, Renee.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,717 times
grew up in lansing.

The school systems are declining (but were very good prior). You want district #215 if you’re looking for good public schools in the region. There are also private schools near. Popular private high schools: Marian Catholic, Illiana Christian and occasionally Mount Carmel or other private Chicago schools.

TF South sent off about eight graduates to U of I-Champaign four years ago, one to Dartmouth, one to Rose Hulman, several to Depaul, many to Illinois State, and dozens of others to state directional schools.

Coming out of the honor’s curriculum at TFS, I was prepared (I’d say about 75%) for college workloads.

If the quality of education is a concern- call the academic counselor’s office to get truly accurate stats and learn about the options for your daughter.

The school has a lot of extracurricular activities that are run by very involved and responsible teachers. I’ve had great experiences in all of those.

As far as the culture of the area, the best I can say is that you will see the entire range of middle class. You will see people with broken down cars in their driveway being used as storage closets. You will see 5 bedroom homes with pillared entryways and inground pools. Most are families living in nice homes who commute to Chicago for work, cut the lawn themselves on the weekend, and manage to have a car for each kid as they turn 16. (If that is a good description/generalization for you?)

As far as safety, I personally feel less safe now than younger years. Still better than many other areas. In my opinion, Lansing is EXCEPTIONALLY safer than Calumet City. I do not mean that in an offensive way. On paper it says it is “safer” – my “exceptionally” addition is a personal feeling.

My thoughts: See if the school system is up to par for your daughter and her future plans, be careful of the area that you buy in (meet the neighbors).

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs