U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:20 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,969,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Oak Park , Bolingbrook, or certain parts of Naperville(more diverse than you know). The OP said good schools so that eliminates Hyde Park, most of Evanston, and most of the South Burbs.

Bolingbrook is too far, so is Naperville. For suburbs close to the ciy, Evanston and Oak Park are the OP best options for diversity and safeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

21,761 posts, read 37,266,643 times
Hyde Park is not the most crime free neighborhood of the City, but it is fairly safe. The factors that keep it safe include the high percentage of semi-private patrols run by the University of Chicago and Hospitals, together with the special protections afforded to the home of President Obama, a mostly stable population of mostly middle and upper income professionals, family orientation and lack of large public (low income) housing.

Honestly for an expat minority family that will be working on NoMi at foriegn consulate this is probably as good an option as one could come up...

Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 AM

77 posts, read 98,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hyde Park is not the most crime free neighborhood of the City, but it is fairly safe. The factors that keep it safe include the high percentage of semi-private patrols run by the University of Chicago and Hospitals, together with the special protections afforded to the home of President Obama, a mostly stable population of mostly middle and upper income professionals, family orientation and lack of large public (low income) housing.

Honestly for an expat minority family that will be working on NoMi at foriegn consulate this is probably as good an option as one could come up...
I take what you are saying about about proximity.
Hyde park would definitly be a close option for working on NOMi but not sure we could afford a Million $$ home. i think i am also keen on Oak park. dont really want to have loads of security bars on windows etc and would like to be near a city but not in the heart of it so one can escape away to a bit of peace if you get what i mean,. i know that you cant have it all however..

Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM

1,060 posts, read 2,387,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix9 View Post
Chet, thanks for yor views, our income will be around the 8ok mark. so you are saying that the hyde park area is worth considering. i will look into it. what is crime like in this area? we are happy to pay for schools should we need to but mainly want to feel safe in a family friendly area. as we know very little about Chicago am grateful for this forums view.

Are you getting a supplement for tuition? UC Lab school is over $20k per student per year. At that rate it would eat up 50% of your pretax income.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM

1,272 posts, read 3,626,199 times
I too echo Hyde Park. Especially for the strong sense of community, and diversity of people from all over due to the University. The kids can go to Ray, I have always heard decent things about that school v. the other neighborhood school whose name escapes me.

For a nice intro to the US, so to speak. HP is a good option. Easy commute, centrally located, stores, WALKABLE, and you can get a nice older apartment with character if that's your thing. Parking is an issue, which turns many off. Depending on how long you'll stay in the US, renting first is clearly beneficial. As you are from a major city, you should not have a "city shock", but just more of getting used to how things are done.

Will you be working as well as your husband? This was probably mentioned by someone, but if you want Lab, be ready for the big bucks unless you can get a scholarship which you may be able to do. Once you're in they will work with you to keep you there, especially for the upper grades, and high school - that's from a friend whose kid went their whole school career at Lab. But of course she worked at Univ. of Chicago and got the discount. That maybe something else for you depending on your field. I think you get 50% off of tuition.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I too echo Hyde Park. Especially for the strong sense of community, and diversity of people from all over due to the University. The kids can go to Ray, I have always heard decent things about that school v. the other neighborhood school whose name escapes me.

For a nice intro to the US, so to speak. HP is a good option. Easy commute, centrally located, stores, WALKABLE, and you can get a nice older apartment with character if that's your thing. Parking is an issue, which turns many off. Depending on how long you'll stay in the US, renting first is clearly beneficial. As you are from a major city, you should not have a "city shock", but just more of getting used to how things are done.

Will you be working as well as your husband? This was probably mentioned by someone, but if you want Lab, be ready for the big bucks unless you can get a scholarship which you may be able to do. Once you're in they will work with you to keep you there, especially for the upper grades, and high school - that's from a friend whose kid went their whole school career at Lab. But of course she worked at Univ. of Chicago and got the discount. That maybe something else for you depending on your field. I think you get 50% off of tuition.

this will be a permanent move for us and i will get no help with the tuition at all. not sure what pre tax tax income us. do explain?

we will rather live in a house and not an apt and coming from a busy city i guess we are trying for somehting a little less hectic. i have looked the some properties in HP today but thye are sure not cheap! however if we didnt nee dto pay for school then our options are open, we are looking to rent for about 6m then buy an settle down but dont want to keep moving the kids as it will be a big move already if you get what i mean, . great schools is really a 1st priority then location.. thank you everyone for your views which has been a great insight

Old 09-20-2009, 05:30 PM

1,272 posts, read 3,626,199 times
Wow, this will be a fun but hectic time for your family I'm guessing. But my thought would be if you have your heart set on a house to settle into, that is understandable but it will not be cheap, especially the suburbs that others mentioned, Oak Park, Evanston.

The trick about the Chicago area, the fly in the ointment so to speak, is really the schools. I am a big fan of the Flossmoor - Homewood area. The houses are nice, the taxes are high, the schools are decent. But you are 30 miles or so from the city.

What I meant about a discount for Lab school is that employees of the University of Chicago get a 50% tuition break. But it sounds like Hyde Park is a moot point. Because you are right, the houses are expensive if that is your eventual goal.

Does the consulate provide any housing or relocation counseling?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Oldhousegirl, you are right a very hectic time but exciting. no real relocation counselling just ideas on areas. We know that we dont want big commute and will need to have a choice very good schools. we wnat to buy a sfh at some point and not live in apt for too long, house with a yard etc, plus be neer the city. asking too much, probably. Hyde park from what i have seen is not cheap but OP seems doable.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 PM

thak you all for all your views, great input and insight. we like the look of oak park, south barrington and la grange.. i think shortest commute is the factor but good parochial school options. happy for diversity but aslo happy to be in just be in a tolerant non conservative community

Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 AM

5,463 posts, read 6,387,660 times
felix, I am not anti-parochial school. In many suburbs, the public schools compare quite favorably to the parochial schools and in some instances offer a better education. However, there are still those that want their children to learn their faith simultaneously with their general education and parochial schools are the only option for this.
In other words, if you are focusing JUST on quality of education and the religious element is not important, then the public schools may be your best choice in the suburbs you mentioned. Also, since you are considering South Barrington (very lovely area), give Arlington Heights a visit. Good access to Metra, nice walkable downtown, excellent library, good park district, good schools and good infrastructure for walking and bicycling.

Last edited by cubssoxfan; 09-28-2009 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs