Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh no -- a high school brawl! RUN FOR TEH HILLZ!

It's funny and sad how ridiculous negative reputations for communities develop, all because of minor issues rooted from closeted racism. I'd could name many communities and cities around the country that suffered because of reputations that developed due to this underlying reason, but enough about that.

DeKalb would be another typical small Illinois town, if it wasn't for the fact it benefits from the presence of NIU, and that it benefits from its proximity to the western suburbs of Chicago. It actually strikes me as a much smaller version of Bloomington-Normal, without as many amenities as both these communities provide for each other. I know that, as someone who has spent time in both DeKalb and the Bloomington-Normal area, and even briefly lived in B-N while once attending Illinois State. However, DeKalb is not a town without its own charms, and it has enough amenities that you'll get by fine, and both DeKalb and neighboring Sycamore have done a decent job of attracting retailers in the Chicago area to set up shop in either community. If one craves more amenities and direct access to Chicago, while not being in DeKalb, he/she would be better suited to look at communities on the western end of the UP-West or BNSF Metra lines.

Honestly I handled B-N fine for the brief amount of time I spent going to Illinois State, so unless you're someone who MUST have a major amount of amenities 24/7, I'd choose DeKalb or Sycamore. Except during major winter storms, it's an easy drive to Elburn to pick up the UP-West Metra line anyway. Can't comment on nearby Cortland(excluding that it's marginally closer to Elburn), since I only spent time in DeKalb and Sycamore while driving around this area and NIU years ago.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 12-17-2009 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: clarifying last paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 04:32 AM

134 posts, read 633,878 times
Thanks for informing me more about towns near NIU, Rockford, and Delavan, Wisconsin. I will check out Machesney Park.

Why should I avoid Rockford? What's wrong with Rockford?

What about Cherry Valley and Belvidere near Rockford?

So far, I am interested in Elburn, Sycamore, and Marengo.

By the way, I know Illinois is very prone to blizzards, hailstorms, floodings, and tornadoes. It's flooding I would like to avoid.

Does any of these towns I listed above flood badly often?

By the way, my family tree stated that some of my ancestors were from these three following Illinoisan towns before moving to Indianapolis (my hometown): Bourbonnais, Aroma Park, and Cairo. I know two of them but not Cairo. Where is "this so-called striving, beautiful river town of Cairo until trains and boats went out of business" located anyway?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I wouldn't worry about flooding....

I'm still trying to get over the statements that Chicago is a dirty city and most dangerous in the country, that the western suburbs of all places are turning into the southside and that people in Illinois are now known to be arrogant because of a situation in Kenilworth (one of the top richest little towns in the country!).

I mean all those things are so totally off the mark. Not saying that to slam you at all, but it's funny how random sterotypes come about based off people saying random comments to other people and they suddenly become an issue.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I wouldn't worry about flooding....

I'm still trying to get over the statements that Chicago is a dirty city and most dangerous in the country, that the western suburbs of all places are turning into the southside and that people in Illinois are now known to be arrogant because of a situation in Kenilworth (one of the top richest little towns in the country!).

I mean all those things are so totally off the mark. Not saying that to slam you at all, but it's funny how random sterotypes come about based off people saying random comments to other people and they suddenly become an issue.
Why shouldn't I worry about the floodings? Isn't Illinois one of states along with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota that experienced seasonal floodings often?

By the way, I was asking questions about Chicago and Illinois to learn for myself since residents know more about the area than I do. It is better to ask than believing in all stereotypes people said to me about Chicago and Illinois in general. You know how the southerners are when they talk about the North. Anyway, that's why I didn't fall for them. My plan is to ask questions first and pay Illinois a visit soon to see if I want to live there and attend graduate school or not.

Also, I already knew about the crime rate especially on youth violence in Chicago; however, the crime rate is lower than Little Rock though. It doesn't make any sense why media made a huge deal of crime rate in Chicago than in some southern cities with higher crime rates. I guess it's because of the fact that Chicago is more famous with its well-known crime history of the
1920s with mafia and flappers.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
By the way, my family tree stated that some of my ancestors were from these three following Illinoisan towns before moving to Indianapolis (my hometown): Bourbonnais, Aroma Park, and Cairo. I know two of them but not Cairo. Where is "this so-called striving, beautiful river town of Cairo until trains and boats went out of business" located anyway?
The "striving, beautiful river town of Cairo" no longer exists. It has been replaced by a ghost town that is drawing its last breaths as we speak. It has lost 80% of its peak population, and the downtown business district is now completely abandoned. As for the location of the "new and disimproved" Cairo, it's right at the southern tip of Illinois where the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers meet, about 50 miles northeast of the Arkansas/Missouri border.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The "striving, beautiful river town of Cairo" no longer exists. It has been replaced by a ghost town that is drawing its last breaths as we speak. It has lost 80% of its peak population, and the downtown business district is now completely abandoned. As for the location of the "new and disimproved" Cairo, it's right at the southern tip of Illinois where the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers meet, about 50 miles northeast of the Arkansas/Missouri border.
That's very sad about what happened to Cairo. That makes sense if the railroads and river transportation are out of businesses, people will leave for geener pastures. Every time something like this happens to a town, only few people will stay because it's their home. Maybe that's why ghost town Cairo has drawing its last breath with only 3,300 residents and still declining.

I have never seen an abandoned ghost town before so I will make a stop in Cairo on my way to visit NIU soon. I know it sounds crazy but Cairo is somewhat interesting plus my ancestors lived there until they left for Indianapolis.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Thanks for informing me more about towns near NIU, Rockford, and Delavan, Wisconsin. I will check out Machesney Park.

Why should I avoid Rockford? What's wrong with Rockford?

What about Cherry Valley and Belvidere near Rockford?

So far, I am interested in Elburn, Sycamore, and Marengo.

By the way, I know Illinois is very prone to blizzards, hailstorms, floodings, and tornadoes. It's flooding I would like to avoid.
Whats wrong with Rockford? Rockford has lots of crime in areas, and its schools are sorely lacking.

Cherry Valley is pretty nice, Belvidere is pretty decent, too.

Blizzards? Rarely. Hailstorms? Rarely. Floodings? A little more common, but not a plague by any means. Tornadoes? Few and far between, but can occur.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
That's very sad about what happened to Cairo. That makes sense if the railroads and river transportation are out of businesses, people will leave for geener pastures. Every time something like this happens to a town, only few people will stay because it's their home. Maybe that's why ghost town Cairo has drawing its last breath with only 3,300 residents and still declining.

I have never seen an abandoned ghost town before so I will make a stop in Cairo on my way to visit NIU soon. I know it sounds crazy but Cairo is somewhat interesting plus my ancestors lived there until they left for Indianapolis.
Eat at Shemwell's barbecue while you're there.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM

174 posts, read 524,363 times
As far as weather goes:

We get snow but not many "blizzards." It comes down steady and the most we will ever get at one time is like 5-7 inches and that's considered a bad snow storm. This isn't northern Wisconsin, it is northern Illinois!

We get at least 3 tornado warnings every year but the probability of a tornado doing any damage is unlikely, excpet a twister did touch down in Munelein, IL which is pretty close to where I live, but it did VERY little damage.

Flooding is common near the Des Plaines river. Even if you are moving near there, you are fine if you are just two miles away.

As far as crime/arrogance goes:

Chicago has a few bad areas, but if you know where those are and stay away from them then you are fine.

People from Illinois are some of the friendliest you will ever meet. There are many community activities and neighborhood gatherings if you'd like. But if you'd prefer not, people won't be forceful. Choose a nice town and neighborhood and you'll be fine.

As far as the government goes:

You want to know why we hate the Governor? Get used to hating all Chicago and Illinois politicians! We have a very corrupt system, but improvements could be coming in 2010! If we throw out Quinn and Durbin it will be a major step!

As far as where you should move:

Weighing all the situations: you would be best in DeKalb. Little to no commute to school and about an hour to the city so you can still go and have fun downtown but focus on your studies in DeKalb.

Good luck!

Last edited by ChicagoBurbs; 12-20-2009 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Thouroughness

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 AM

139 posts, read 501,545 times
Default There are many other public schools with Rehab Counseling Options in IL!

Quote:
That's what I thought when I heard my aunt's comment about western surburbs becoming more black. I laughed when she labeled them as the new Southside. Of course, I am sure it's becoming more black very slowly by 2010 Census but it will never be like the Southside. LOL! Maybe that's why you always hear white people saying that northern surburbs are the best and least diverse.

Anyway, I know DeKalb isn't what you expect for a nice, attractive college town with plentiful of activities/events to attend. However, it happens to be the only public graduate school in the state of IL that offers Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling (my interest). There is another one with similiar program but it's private so it's not affordable so I am stuck with NIU. Besides, I would be a graduate student getting higher degree for higher pay and job promotion so I am not looking to party. Most importantly of all, I have no interest in attending the best universities just to show off their degree while being in debts; it's both life/job experiences that matters the most.
I realize I'm responding to an old post, but perhaps the OP hasn't made that decision yet!

NIU is a fine program, but definately not the only public institution in Illinois with graduate programs in IL. In fact, IL has some of the best Rehabilitation Counseling programs in the country.

University of Illinois - Champaign - Urbana - has a great program
Southern Illinois - One of the best in the country and a stellar PhD (RhD) program.
Northeastern Illinois University - Good program with lots of Distance Education options

Now, NIU is a fine program, but don't make your decision based on it being the only program in Illinois....you've got more to choose from than you thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs