Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here can give me any insight into the Chicago Suburbs that will be affected by the O'Hare Expansion. I have found some websites that mention legislature to delay or stop the process, but cannot locate any maps that show what parts of which suburbs will be taken over by O'Hare. Also what changes in flight patterns that would result from this issue.

If anyone has any inside information or maps (or links to them), please post! I'm trying to give a friend advice on this issue and steer her in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 03:39 PM

No one? I was really hoping someone who is affected by it could give me some insight!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:28 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
The suburbs that will be affected are Bensenville and Elk Grove Village. Maps showing the affected areas are at http://www.suburban-ohare.org/detail.asp?OBJECT_ID=661 (broken link) and a page explaining the new runways and flight patterns is http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...OID=-536884664

Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,705 times
Why are they expanding it? Isn't it big enough?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
The suburbs that will be affected are Bensenville and Elk Grove Village. Maps showing the affected areas are at http://www.suburban-ohare.org/detail.asp?OBJECT_ID=661 (broken link) and a page explaining the new runways and flight patterns is http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...OID=-536884664
Thank you kirstenleigh. Those links are very helpful!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Why are they expanding it? Isn't it big enough?
I wish I knew, but I personally think it's a waste of tax dollars and a cruel reason to displace homeowners.

I guess "they" want O'Hare to not only be the busiest airport, but the biggest?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,096 times
They're redoing the runways. Right now most of the runways cross each other and that leads to delays with taxiing and takeoff/landings, especially when the weather is cruddy. The new runway configuration is supposed to make it easier and quicker.

supposed to.

It's really not expanding much at all in terms of number of flights, last number I heard was 1%. It sure is expensive, though.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
They're redoing the runways. Right now most of the runways cross each other and that leads to delays with taxiing and takeoff/landings, especially when the weather is cruddy. The new runway configuration is supposed to make it easier and quicker.

supposed to.

It's really not expanding much at all in terms of number of flights, last number I heard was 1%. It sure is expensive, though.
My last flight out of O'Hare was delayed over an hour (sat in the plane, on the tarmack), because of a runway miscalculation, according to the Pilot. I guess their still working on that new runway configuration.

I imagine it could be worse as I remember a news report a few months ago about a woman suing an airline because her and other passengers sat for six hours or more on a runway wating for their plane to takeoff.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Is Woodale affected by the O'Hare expansion plan? I think they are mostly taking up more land to the south of the Airport, near Irving Park Road. After all the arguing and lawsuits, I think it will happen and folks will have to learn to live with itl

Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Is Woodale affected by the O'Hare expansion plan? I think they are mostly taking up more land to the south of the Airport, near Irving Park Road. After all the arguing and lawsuits, I think it will happen and folks will have to learn to live with itl
Based on a few websites I visited, I recall that Wood Dale will be affected, but not by Eminent Domain where the people will be forced to sell their homes for airport expansion. Flights will take off directly over that city and cause noise damage/polution. I came across one website that mentioned that the Wood Dale city council is looking into asking for rebates from the government for soundproofing for homeowners, but I could not find any conclusions on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs