Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,909,706 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have any suggestions for dog adoption agencies/shelters?

I looked around, but everything I found was very far west, downstate, or in Indiana. Plus, the prices were RIDICULOUS! Oh my I never expected anything like it, lol.

Plus, a lot of places (like shelters) are hesitant to let you adopt if you live in an apartment or condo, so if anyone has any idea where I can find a pet, post away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,139,712 times
I don't know where to tell you to look, but I can give a warning. Two years after I adtoped a Weimeraner. I becaame very suspicious when he ated like he was going to bite my 4-year old great-grandson. I learned a couple of weeks ago that this breed naturally hates children and cats. T found it on a pet website. Better late than never. He's great with adults and an awesome watch dog.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't know where to tell you to look, but I can give a warning. Two years after I adtoped a Weimeraner. I becaame very suspicious when he ated like he was going to bite my 4-year old great-grandson. I learned a couple of weeks ago that this breed naturally hates children and cats. T found it on a pet website. Better late than never. He's great with adults and an awesome watch dog.
Wow. I'm glad your grandson did not get hurt, but I also hope he was not traumatized by that incident.

Thanks for that information. I have a friend with a Weim, but I don't usually bring my infant/toddler cousins around (when I have them over for visits) I just figured the dog was too large to play with such young and small children

I was looking more along the lines of Shih Tzu/Maltese/Havanese. I think I can handle a smaller/medium sized dog.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM

17,011 posts, read 14,334,391 times
The Humane Society in Chicago Heights.

www.sshspets.org

Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 AM

69 posts, read 393,024 times
classified ads in the paper can get you a dog for fairly cheap or even craigslist.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,738,867 times
In Worth, there is the Animal Welfare League.

Chicago's Largest Humane Society - The Animal Welfare League

Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,491,774 times
You can go and save a life at Paws as they are a kill shelter. They are located in Tinley Park/Mokena I believe. They used to be on 80th Ave and I think they moved to 191st Street still near 80th Ave. Chicago Ridge's shelter on SW Highway is the place to drop pets off as they are a non-kill, but if you are going to adopt, I'd say, save a life and get a pet from a kill shelter as their days are numbered. PAWS Here you can even look at what pets are currently available on their website.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 32,415 times
RobDar's HoundSong Rescue

Houndsong is in Indiana but they do a great job saving dogs and placing them in loving homes. I should know, one of my dogs came from them. It was about $110 for the adoption fee and he came with all his shots.

Chicago Heights Humane Society also has a ton of doggies looking for a good home. good luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
You can go and save a life at Paws as they are a kill shelter. They are located in Tinley Park/Mokena I believe. They used to be on 80th Ave and I think they moved to 191st Street still near 80th Ave. Chicago Ridge's shelter on SW Highway is the place to drop pets off as they are a non-kill, but if you are going to adopt, I'd say, save a life and get a pet from a kill shelter as their days are numbered. PAWS Here you can even look at what pets are currently available on their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2010 View Post
RobDar's HoundSong Rescue

Houndsong is in Indiana but they do a great job saving dogs and placing them in loving homes. I should know, one of my dogs came from them. It was about $110 for the adoption fee and he came with all his shots.

Chicago Heights Humane Society also has a ton of doggies looking for a good home. good luck!
Thanks very much! The places you mentioned aren't too far, and I can afford it

I don't think I'd want a puppy anyway, they need more attention than I can really give them...

Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM

288 posts, read 849,373 times
We had great luck with Petfinder.com. In fact, the couple we got our dog from ran a dog rescue, and they brought him right to our house. When you go on Petfinder.com, you can enter the age range and any other information you would like to narrow the search by. The results also show you which dogs are not good around other pets or children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs