Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 AM

16 posts, read 99,898 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is our first winter in Chicago area and I was wondering what sort of snow blower will I need? I live in area with minor snow and used to just shovel everything out. I am thinking that snow storm in this area are bigger and more frequent.

My house has a 50 feet driveway and a 50 feet walkway to the front of the house and not much of a sidewalk (about 5 feet each side). The drive way and walk way are all brick. I was wondering what sort of snow blower will I need and if there's an advantage of getting a more expensive model (clears the driveway faster, etc).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 AM

69 posts, read 393,775 times
Well let me do my best here. I have heard this winter is going to be very bad...

Its all pretty optional. I know people who shovel there driveway every time it snows (they call it exercise) and I know others who swear by snow blowers. I personally have done both.

Snow blowers are nice and if you can afford one I would recommend it. There are 2 different kinds, a single stage and a 2 stage.

A single stage, take the snow and throws it. A 2 stage, takes it breaks it up, then throws it.

If you can afford it a 2 stage is the way to go. However they are a little bigger and require a little more maintence, but they will power through even the worst snow and ice.

A single stage might work very well too as I assume your driveway is relatively flat and paved, but if we get something like a foot of snow falling you will probably have to "blow" it twice.

What I would avoid are those powered snow shovels or anything electric powered. My experience is that they just don't have the "umph" necessary.

As for speed... look at the self propelled ones (both single or 2 stage) but make sure the wheels are good enough to have traction on ice... I have had that problem before. Some come with chains.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 AM

20 posts, read 53,970 times
This winter is forecast to be near normal, not particularly bad.

You'll want a 2-stage because of the heavy wet snow we get when the big snowstorms come. Get a 21" path for that long driveway.

Powered snow shovels are worthless, don't bother.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Funny, I heard that our winter was to be mild this year....I guess it depends on the day and reporter We have a heavy duty gas Mack self-propelled snowblower and it is great with the heavy wet snow and can really throw it to the side. I like it because it is self propelled and when the snow is thick *I* can even do the driveway.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM

69 posts, read 393,775 times
I have heard some reporters say it will be terrible and some say it will be great. No real in between...

I guess I am a "negative nelly" choosing the worst of the two!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I completely disagree. Single stage sno-throwers are almost always a great option in Chicago as long as they are well designed and sufficiently powerful. The better brands have very heavy duty rubber auger mechanisms that will do a great job with the wet heavy often icey stuff that is common in Chicago. Two stage sno-throwers are generally all metal and while some will do an acceptable job you have to be more more diligent in both selection, maintenance and use. We so infrequently get the "monster" snow storms that even if you choose the ideal two stage machine it is overkill for most of the snow storms we get. If you get a John Deere or Toro single stage around $650 it will be an awesome machine for 95% of Chicago snow storms. The way the good ones work you DO NOT WANT any power not going to the auger, and that means that the wheels are just for manuevering and not part of the propulsion. Honda makes a nice one too, but it is hard to find a deal on 'em as I think only full line Honda dealers can sell 'em... DO NOT SPEND LESS ON SOME PIECE OF NO NAME JUNK as the whole point of a gas single stage is that the motor and auger have to really be capable of handling things. This is especially with a BRICK drive with a pain to do with a shovel and even a two stage will be a royal headache unless it is properly setup and maintained

If you decide you want something for the "monster" storms get a Ariens, Snapper, Poulan, Snapper, Simplicity, or Honda with at least a 250cc motor and expect to spend over $1000. That'll be a beast to store and not as easy to use but that is what you find in Green Bay and Buffalo and what you NEED when we get the killer storms. DO NOT BUY a no-name sno-thrower unless to end up with a maddening trip back to whenever you got it when it does not work. Recent changes at Sears lead me to believe that they are no longer using the same major sno-throw makers that they once did... MAKE SURE that the has the kind of "skid shoes and scrapers" for a Brick Drive and YOU SET IT UP PROPERLY or you will either beat it up bad, leave marks all over your drive, or end up knocking yourself around HARD... Do NOT trust the goof balls at a "big box" store to know what they are doing!

Electric sno-throws are great for folks with bad backs, bad knees, hypertension or heart disease. If you get a Toro and spend about $350 you may not feel as studly as having the gas single stage and you will be SOL if we get more than 8"-10" inches of typical Chicago style slop but you will save a trip to the chiropractor, orthopedic surgeon, cardiologist or worse.

The Toro electric shovel is an AWESOME tool to clear snow off decks and stairs, if you have a big deck that you don't want to get trashed from snow or lots of stairs (especially those very expensive granite slabs that some landscapers love) and you use a regular shovel you will have scrapes and rust marks that look terrible.

Last edited by chet everett; 11-11-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you get a John Deere or Toro single stage around $650 it will be an awesome machine for 95% of Chicago snow storms.
I agree 100%. I have a small (3 or 3.5 HP) Toro and its excellent. It covers 95% of our snowfalls and for the others, it does almost as well although it might require use more often. That's fine with me however; I like getting the whole driveway and sidewalk perfectly clean before leaving for work so I'll snowblow once at 10PM and again at 5PM and its good to go.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 PM

53 posts, read 99,371 times
Default The cheapest snow blower

Well, here is Toro Electric Power Shovel Snow Blower for $99. Is this enough for a small sidewalk?
Toro Electric Power Shovel Snow Blower - 38361 at The Home Depot

Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Better yet, move into an apartment, condo or townhouse where they do all the work for you. Its nice sitting inside with a cup of coffee while they slave away outside.

In all honesty, a shovel will do just fine for a smaller driveway. It doesnt snow heavily more than 2-3 times a year, a snowblower isnt really needed, IMO, unless you have a monster driveway.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:38 PM

53 posts, read 99,371 times
All the weather forecaster predicted milder winter, so I guess shovel will be just fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs