U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Reputation: 25609

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Hate to drag this up again, but the issue is being debated in the IL Senate. It does not appear that they will be banned but there may be some limitations, such as no tickets for stopping past the white line. During the debate the Senators watched a video of the bill's sponsor rolling through a red on a right turn.
Plan would reform red-light camera tickets - chicagotribune.com
Red-light camera tickets would be slightly harder to get and cheaper to appeal under a reform plan endorsed by Senate leaders Monday that fell far short of the sweeping overhaul demanded by critics of the automated devices.

The measure was sponsored by Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, and hammered out in a closed-door meeting last week with other lawmakers and lobbyists for Redflex and Redspeed, vendors hired to operate camera systems for Chicago and many suburbs."
So there you have it. Despite being nearly universally reviled, the damn things are here to stay with token changes only, if even that. And why? Because private companies with a financial interest in keeping this scam alive were allowed to sit in on a closed-door session and shape the relevant legislation. So who got paid how much to let these clowns in?

Illinois politics never changes. I don't know how much longer I can stomach this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM
 
1,464 posts, read 3,745,414 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Plan would reform red-light camera tickets - chicagotribune.com
Red-light camera tickets would be slightly harder to get and cheaper to appeal under a reform plan endorsed by Senate leaders Monday that fell far short of the sweeping overhaul demanded by critics of the automated devices.

The measure was sponsored by Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, and hammered out in a closed-door meeting last week with other lawmakers and lobbyists for Redflex and Redspeed, vendors hired to operate camera systems for Chicago and many suburbs."
So there you have it. Despite being nearly universally reviled, the damn things are here to stay with token changes only, if even that. And why? Because private companies with a financial interest in keeping this scam alive were allowed to sit in on a closed-door session and shape the relevant legislation. So who got paid how much to let these clowns in?

Illinois politics never changes. I don't know how much longer I can stomach this place.
Illinois' politics and corruption will lead to it's own demise. Don Wade and Roma last week were mentioning that other than for California, no other state suffered such severe losses in populations fleeing for other states like Illinois did. Illinois' games in politics, laws, taxes, etc. leads to Indiana's success. Indiana should be loving every minute of all of this going on over here. We are litterally handing them the tools for success and a nice play book which should be called "Don't let this happen to you" (with a big picture of the State of Illinois on the cover of it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
 
8,467 posts, read 7,078,205 times
Reputation: 3831
Jason Plummer claims that "Businesses are fleeing the state like it's on fire." (At Issue, WBBM radio). I haven't heard any specific examples, but years of corruption under two previous governors have hurt the State's reputation. The search for non-tax revenue is also hurting. Expansion of gambling and expanded use of red-light cameras are perfect examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,594 posts, read 2,546,953 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
My husband got a ticket for turning right on red. The tape showed he did stop but he stopped over the white line. He said he had to stop beyond the white line to see beyond the cars in the lanes next to him so he could turn right safely. The person he talked to on the phone said too bad...ticket was still valid.
You're supposed to stop behind the line. Then you are allowed to creep forward to see if cars are coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,669 times
Reputation: 10
i just got one at Higgins & Mannheim and I stopped clearly in the video, while making a right turn, but past the white probably cause you cannot see what is on the other side of the other traffic stopped there. I did however stop. I wonder what the chances are of me winning that one?!? Has anyone ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,669 times
Reputation: 10
someone on something I read stated that this is a no turn on red intersection. how do I find out if it is, I can't read the sign in the video or picture. Any way of knowing?

and there is NO 3 second rule. it just has to be a stop according to the regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Reputation: 25609
Manheim and Higgins is definitely a no-turn-on-red intersection.

The cameras at that intersection are always snapping and catching somebody doing something. Usually turning on red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 AM
 
6 posts, read 9,757 times
Reputation: 12
I just refuse to turn right on red at those intersections with red cam. Right turn on red is optional in the State of Illinois and I am thinking of putting a sign on my bumper that says, This Car Does Not Turn Right On Red." I'll keep my $100, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM
 
1,464 posts, read 3,745,414 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by will skate for food View Post
I just refuse to turn right on red at those intersections with red cam. Right turn on red is optional in the State of Illinois and I am thinking of putting a sign on my bumper that says, This Car Does Not Turn Right On Red." I'll keep my $100, thanks.
Then I will place a bumper sticker on my car that reads, "will lay on horn entire time at idiots who cannot understand the rule of come to a complete stop, then go, for those who sit at the white line until the light turns green for no reason because there is a camera there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
 
1,464 posts, read 3,745,414 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneelseinIL View Post
someone on something I read stated that this is a no turn on red intersection. how do I find out if it is, I can't read the sign in the video or picture. Any way of knowing?

and there is NO 3 second rule. it just has to be a stop according to the regulations.
Google street view most likely will have pictures of the intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top