Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM

16 posts, read 99,907 times

Advertisements

I got a "violation" from one of the redlight cameras on Mannhiem and Higgens E in Rosemont. However, it is of me turning. As far as I can tell, I thought turning on Red is allow in Illinois (I moved here recently, so I may be wrong).

There is a sign on about turning on red, but I think it said "No turn on Red when pedestrians are present". As far as I can tell from the picture, there are no pedestrians, but then again I am not sure since I don't live near Rosemont. It may be that I am remembering a different sign and may have missed the "No turn on Red sign".

Questions:
1. Does the camera trigger even if you are allow to turn on red?
2. Does more than one redlight violation trigger some sort of additional fines and insurance rate adjustment?

Thanks.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Did you stop before the intersection when the light turned red? Many people pull into the intersection to begin their turn and then stop.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Also, to answer your second question, I believe the camera-generated tickets do not go on your record and thus do not affect your insurance. They don't count as a moving violation, just an infraction bearing a fine. You might be able to contest it, depending on what signs were posted in that intersection.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
check this out, it may help:

Journal & Topics Newspapers Online (http://www.journal-topics.com/ro/09/ro090624.1.html - broken link)

Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Don't feel too bad 80 to 90 percent of the tickets from these devices are from people turning right on red. It is not about safety. It is just another way for the local governments to extort people.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,541 times
My husband got a ticket for turning right on red. The tape showed he did stop but he stopped over the white line. He said he had to stop beyond the white line to see beyond the cars in the lanes next to him so he could turn right safely. The person he talked to on the phone said too bad...ticket was still valid.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
The problem with the white line is that sometimes if you do not roll over it, the traffic light does not change.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
check this out, it may help:

Journal & Topics Newspapers Online (http://www.journal-topics.com/ro/09/ro090624.1.html - broken link)
What's interesting in that article is the picture shows a scenario like the OP posted. There's a red light and a sign, but the sign says "No turn on red when pedestrians are present," and the caption says that corner is in Rosemont. The body of the article says, " 'No Turn On Red' signs are posted at every red light corner in Rosemont." I don't see such a sign in the photo.

If the sign says "No turn on red when pedestrians are present," then you should be able to turn when they are NOT present. "No turn on red," of course, means don't turn on red ever.

But how do you prove there weren't any pedestrians present? Would they show up in the photo? Is this a ploy to get people to pay the tickets, instead of appealing the ticket and getting it overturned? That would be one heck of a dirty move.

There are both kinds of signs around where I live, mostly the kind about pedestrians. I don't want to get a ticket for something I didn't do.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What's interesting in that article is the picture shows a scenario like the OP posted. There's a red light and a sign, but the sign says "No turn on red when pedestrians are present," and the caption says that corner is in Rosemont. The body of the article says, " 'No Turn On Red' signs are posted at every red light corner in Rosemont." I don't see such a sign in the photo.

If the sign says "No turn on red when pedestrians are present," then you should be able to turn when they are NOT present. "No turn on red," of course, means don't turn on red ever.

But how do you prove there weren't any pedestrians present? Would they show up in the photo? Is this a ploy to get people to pay the tickets, instead of appealing the ticket and getting it overturned? That would be one heck of a dirty move.

There are both kinds of signs around where I live, mostly the kind about pedestrians. I don't want to get a ticket for something I didn't do.
Yeah, you know, I have only been in IL for a couple of months and I still feel like I don't know what I am doing for right turns. I stop and look all over the place for a sign, sometimes I turn and am not sure if I missed something. I am not sure if this is a "safer" way, where drivers aren't sure what the rules of the road are anymore...my wife has this same paranoia, we were talking about it the other night.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
My favorite is the No Turn On Red signs situated behind the white line such that if you don't notice it before you get to the line but then you look around for one after you've reached the line and can't see one (because it's behind you), and then get busted for running a red light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs