Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
If you don't have to be in those, consider going across border.
Excellent communities in NW Indiana like Munster (a bit expensive), Dyer,
St John, Schererville. Lower cost of living and very close to Lansing
Oh please.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 PM

247 posts, read 688,134 times
My friend who lives in St. John loves it there; however, she absolutely HATES all the traffic (she works in Lansing). It has become very busy over there. She drives about 20 miles door-to-door and it usually takes her 40-45 minutes.

My pick for a single woman would be Homewood. I lived there several years and loved it. My trip to Lansing was 7 miles and took about 15 minutes. I felt very safe walking around, taking the train, shopping on Halsted (with the exception of Kmart--that place always skeeved me for some reason). I rented and owned in Homewood. Whenever I went out of town, the police would watch my house for me (by request). My neighbors would keep an eye out too. It's a great place to live.

I am not a fan of Sauk Village or Steger; lots of old, ugly strip malls and uninteresting house designs. Crete and Olympia Fields are very nice for the most part. I don't know too much about Richton Park, other than it being just south of Matteson, which would be convenient for shopping.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
My pick for a single woman would be Homewood. I lived there several years and loved it. My trip to Lansing was 7 miles and took about 15 minutes. I felt very safe walking around, taking the train, shopping on Halsted (with the exception of Kmart--that place always skeeved me for some reason). I rented and owned in Homewood. Whenever I went out of town, the police would watch my house for me (by request). My neighbors would keep an eye out too. It's a great place to live.

I am not a fan of Sauk Village or Steger; lots of old, ugly strip malls and uninteresting house designs. Crete and Olympia Fields are very nice for the most part. I don't know too much about Richton Park, other than it being just south of Matteson, which would be convenient for shopping.
I agree 20k times with you on the beauty of Homewood. Great place to be =) I have the pleasure of riding through that area on various assignments.

I am not a fan of Sauk Village either. I don't like the feel of the town, especially not after night and as a woman. (then again, my fear could stem from always looking like an outsider)

Steger is okay, I go to my friends' homes over there, and I feel totally safe, never had any qualms about travelling over there, and the housing is very affordable. As far as housing styles, hey, "to each their own."

Last edited by deechee; 11-17-2009 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar

Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 29,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
Oly Fields and Crete are definitely the two best out of these five. Steger isn't bad either, although its housing stock is a bit more downscale than the first two. Richton's best days are behind it, Section 8 influx from the city is killing that town. Sauk Village is the worst, it was nice 20 years ago but now it's gotten rundown and crime-ridden.

Just because someone holds a section 8 voucher does not mean they are bad people. People are always quick to judge someone or a set of people. That's like saying all white people are rascist because of slavery.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,305,711 times
O.Fields is hella nice

i think r kelly lives there(dont worry its still very safe)

but its expensive

-mas23-

Old 11-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
O.Fields is hella nice

but its expensive

-mas23-
HAHA! Yeah, Oly Fields is great.

I would add another comment about R. Kelly, but I'll save that for offline

Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
Just because someone holds a section 8 voucher does not mean they are bad people. People are always quick to judge someone or a set of people. That's like saying all white people are rascist because of slavery.
Yes, section 8 is a great program for those who are really trying to make it, and need assistance. However, it has earned a negative connotation because of the minority of the users who abuse the system, have millions of babies, and do not supervise them, don't keep up the properties, etc.

I would not want to live in an area with a large number of section 8 voucher holders because they do not bring in extra tax revenue. For example, if a school district is already strapped for cash, having 12 more kids a class can really turn into something ugly. The voucher holders also tend to frequent cheap stores, and sometimes have friends in the same situations they are. These friends can sometimes be the kind of people you don't want walking around your neighborhood.

I believe that is how it works, but regardless, most people want to live around people like themselves. If you are middle class, I'm sure you want to live in a middle class area (Homewood, Steger, Glenwood, Crete, Country Club Hills, some of Hazel Crest); if you are one of the fortunate who are considered upper middle to "upper" income you would like to live in a more expensive or exclusive area that you can afford (Olympia Fields, Flossmoor, Orland Park, Tinley Park, some parts of Oak Forest and most of Palos')

In short, I consider myself a hardworking, middle income person. I do not want to live in Harvey, Robbins or Markham around lower income people. I prefer where I live because I am more likely to be around people who look like me, shop where I shop, think like I think, and behave as I do. It's a culture. Where some section 8 voucher holders stand in the income "status" tier and the middle income culture, I don't know. But it's hard to want to live around someone who doesn't really contribute anything back to a community that you like, especially when you work so hard to be able to live there.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,305,711 times
Quote:
O.Fields is hella nice

but its expensive

-mas23-
JK about the rkelly tho...he's one of my favorited musicians i grew up on his music

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
HAHA! Yeah, Oly Fields is great.

I would add another comment about R. Kelly, but I'll save that for offline
lol, but yeah if r kelly live there then a person buying a home there must be rolling in dough. I read somewhere that its one of the wealthiest majority black communities in the US.

-mas23-

Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
JK about the rkelly tho...he's one of my favorited musicians i grew up on his music

lol, but yeah if r kelly live there then a person buying a home there must be rolling in dough. I read somewhere that its one of the wealthiest majority black communities in the US.

-mas23-
Yes. It has to be. It is on my short list of places to live next. Absolutely beautiful community. Lots of money is necessary, but the need to roll in dough is optional haha

Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 PM

17 posts, read 74,961 times
I heard Lupe Fiasco lives in Olympia Fields too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs