U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,099,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I question the employment prospects around Tinley Park. At least AH & Schaumburg have a decent mix of offices and some manufacturing nearby, but I can't say the same for Tinely Park...
There are many small businesses in Tinley that you have to get off the highways to see, unlike in Schaumburg (they seemingly all line the highway). My brother's company in Sugar Grove does business with several different businesses in TP, as did the last place he worked for. Its not a powerhouse full of heavy-hitters like Oak Brook or Schaumburg, etc, but Tinley seems secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
They have plenty of employment opportunities, if you're willing to drive an hour+ to work.
Actually, depending on the train you take, you can be in downtown in less than 45 minutes and if you drive, you can reach the loop in less than an hour. I recently moved back to Tinley Park after an 8 year stint in Chicago where I had a 30+ minute commute when I lived 3.5 miles from work. An extra 15 minutes on the Metra is fine when you can get a seat and don't have to deal with the BS of the CTA.

With the article from Business Week, I've found everything to be generally spot on. There is a very low rate of turnover with people moving and in the 80s and 90s people just moved farther west in Tinley to the newer houses. For example, when my family moved from a subdivision built in the late 70s to one built in the early 90s, we knew 3 other families that had lived in our old subdivision all on the same block and in the current subdivision my parents live in, many of their neighbors have been there since the houses were built.

With schools, I've always gone to private ones, but from the success of everyone I knew that went to public schools, I would say they offer as much opportunities for those that put in an effort as those going to area private schools.

With everything else, crime is almost nonexistent with the exception of the events in 2008 and I've always regarded the village government as excellent with little waste and they keep taxes low and the cops are competent yet they won't pull you over for doing 8 over to enhance the revenue.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 PM

17 posts, read 42,286 times
Ok...I'll bite

Quote:
Yeah, especially when people commit hate crimes in the grocery store.
What is this in reference to?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,509,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman23 View Post
Ok...I'll bite

What is this in reference to?
Tinley Park Woman Amal Abusumayah Says She Was Hate-Crime Victim - cbs2chicago.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/hate.crime.Amal.2.1311605.html - broken link)
Woman pulls Muslim woman's scarf, charged with hate crime - Democracy Forums
Tinley Park police investigate alleged hate crime - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/11/tinley-park-police-investigate-alleged-hate-crime.html - broken link)
Police: Woman charged for Tinley Park hate crime :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1890813,kenney-tinley-park-hate-crime-111809.article - broken link)
Hate crimes against Muslims hit ‚€˜Midwest Americana‚€™ in Tinley Park
Tinley woman assaulted at grocery store :: The SouthtownStar :: Tinley Park :: Orland Hills (http://www.southtownstar.com/neighborhoodstar/tinleypark/1883211,111509hatecrime.article - broken link)

This. I have experienced some racism there as well. I don't think it would stop me from moving or working there, but I would be cautious about a lot of things...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:34 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,162,660 times
It's a good story that showcases an Illinois town. I'd like to know why the feature pictures are from other stetes? I looked at four random shots; three were from NY and the other from Boston. I cannot imagine that BW does not have stock photos of Chicago.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,468,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
This.... I have experienced some racism there as well. I don't think it would stop me from moving or working there, but I would be cautious about a lot of things...

Oh come on. Don't take the thread way off topic.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Oh come on. Don't take the thread way off topic.

Sorry, it needed to be mentioned. It doesn't detract from the town. Tinley Park is bordered by some great areas, has plenty of shopping, great schools (my opinion) and I can afford to live there. It has a lot of new homes to choose from, is easily accessible by the train, highway, and even the bus. I like the town and all, but I had to mention that there are some really racist people there.

Tinley Park is socio-economically diverse and has areas that are a great if you like to live in sorta wooded areas (like I do). It is near all the action in Orland Park and does not seem to have all the traffic of Orland. The taxes you pay in TP afford you those good schools your children will attend.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
... I like the town and all, but I had to mention that there are some really racist people there.
There are racist people everywhere. That does not mean it has to be mentioned all the fricking time. There are really racist people in places like Bellwood too. Might as well mention in every thread about every place that "there are some really racist people there."

Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There are racist people everywhere. That does not mean it has to be mentioned all the fricking time. There are really racist people in places like Bellwood too. Might as well mention in every thread about every place that "there are some really racist people there."
Sorry, I can't erase my feelings on that, especially since I know you don't understand it. I did post something else OTHER than my feelings on racism.

Anyway, back on topic: Tinley Park wins.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I can't erase my feelings on that, especially since I know you don't understand it...
Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs