U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM

104 posts, read 249,072 times

Advertisements

I have e-mailed this question to the Illinois State Police, but have not yet received a reply, so I figured I'd check here and see if someone knows the answer.

I am going to be moving to the Chicago area in the next couple of months. I currently live in Virginia, one of the easiest states to be a gun owner in. I am a former sworn federal law enforcement officer and I am a law abiding person and I want to make sure that in the process of moving to Illinois that I do not violate any of Illinois's stricter gun laws.

I possess a personal handgun and I know that handguns are not allowed in Chicago and Oak Park (pending the Supreme Court case decision next spring). I am planning to move to Elmwood Park, Skokie, Harwood Heights, or Evanston, where as far as I know it is permitted to own a handgun as long as I obtain a FOID.

As far as I can tell, you are not able to get a FOID card until you actually have an Illinois ID/license. If that is the case, how would I legally bring my handgun into Illinois and possess it in my home before I obtain my Illinois ID and FOID card?

I am not looking for any answers containing people's opinions on gun rights. I only want an objective answer that will help a law-abiding citizen continue to abide by his future state's laws on gun ownership and bringing one with him when he moves.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
The Illinois State Police get a lot of criticism about having to enforce the Illinois FOID program, but in my experience they try to just do what the law requires and stay away from controversy.

There are FAQs that kinda sorta address the issue(s) you are considering, but these are NOT the last word: Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

Bottom line -- to be 100% in compliance you should store the weapons with someone / somewhere that is authorized to do this. You can transport the weapons to that location in a manner consistent with the administrative provisions that the ISP provides (unloaded, disassembled).

Once you are a resident of Illinois you can get the State ID and/or Driver's license and the ISP will turn around the application. They might even a have a 'special' channel for law enforcement personel... H.R. 218 - Officers Concealed Carry

Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,595,894 times
There were 318 brave soldiers killed in Iraq last year while the murder rate for Ill for the same time period was 509..... It seems that even though a person could have a FOID card the right to carrry is still under a lot of nonsensical scrutiny. Good luck and maybe you can find more about Ill by going on the below link. I would phone an official in Ill because emails are too much trouble for those that do not want to ID themselves.... Chet already gave a link that I was going to send referencing FAQ for the Ill State Police but here is acopy from the link

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:
  1. Unloaded,
  2. Enclosed in a case and,
  3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
What constitutes a legal "case" for transporting a firearm?
The Criminal Code refers to "a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container." However, the Wildlife Code is more specific, defining case as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such
communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?
Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
  1. Unloaded, and
  2. Enclosed in a case, and
  3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
Daley Questions Court Ruling On Guns In Cars - cbs2chicago.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/daley.guns.cars.2.1308481.html - broken link)

This link to Wikipedia is not as accurate as hearing the same from an official but here it is anyway
Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Synergy1; 11-23-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Can you call the state police? I would just call them if you can find a number, get the answer, and ask where you can find that information in writing. The situation you're describing doesn't seem well defined in the FAQ, and the person you ask might not know the right answer. You don't want to get in trouble because someone else made a mistake. I think once you track down the right information, you should print it out and keep it with you (or the firearm) until you have your FOID card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs