U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,264 times
Default eyes burn

I've noticed my eyes burn and since the furnace is running more it seems to be happening more. Can't smell anything by the furnace. It's a gas forced air furnace that is about 6 or 7 years old. Any suggestions as to what it could be?
Thanks
Janet B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM

610 posts, read 1,731,098 times
Perhaps you need to have your air ducts cleaned. If there is a lot of dust build -up it is being sprayed out when the furnace is running and could be irritating your eyes.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM

5,551 posts, read 6,281,152 times
Have it checked for a cracked heat exchanger ASAP. If you cannot get a HVAC guy out right away do a quick check yourself. Watch burner flame until blower kicks on. If flame lifts off of burner when blower starts, shut furnace off and use more blankets until you can get it fixed. If it doesn't lift have HVAC guy check it anyway. My method is not 100%.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 PM

3,014 posts, read 5,631,860 times
My eyes have been burning a little bit as well. Perhaps, it is something in the air? Do you live on the north side, south side, northwest indiana? I think indoor allergies, and their effects, skyrocket this time of year due to everyone (in the North) going into hibernation mode. As suggested earlier, cleaning the air ducts would be a good move however there could be more to it than simply dusty air ducts.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM

5,384 posts, read 5,717,168 times
Check your furnace/HVAC filters and clean or replace them. Do you have a humidifier connected to your furnace? Is it on? Is it set high enough? If no humidifier, then you may need one.
Also, do you have a CO2 detector near the furnace or on same level? If not, get one- it could save your life!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 10,902,135 times
Immediately check for carbon dioxide!

I'm not in your area, but if you have a gas company you can call and have them come out and check it do so ASAP!!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM

20,516 posts, read 10,902,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Immediately check for carbon dioxide!

I'm not in your area, but if you have a gas company you can call and have them come out and check it do so ASAP!!
Make that Carbon MONOXIDE!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 AM

25 posts, read 75,212 times
My repair guy told me that your eyes will burn if the carbon minoxide levels are high. Don't know if that's your issue, but a carbon minoxide detector could rule that out.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,631,860 times
It could be that the carbon monoxide levels are too high or it could be a sign of a home that has a weakened insulation barrier between their northern accilmated home and a nice steady temperature of sixty eight degrees or warmer Having poor or old insulation in your home can lead to both increased gas bills in the winter as well as possible increased risk of house fire.

Mice, Insects, and a plethora of other pests choose to make your home their home when the days start to get shorter. This is indicative of any norther home. Over time, pests such as mice can burrow within the insulation between the walls, in the ceiling, and in the attic itself to reduce the rate of effectiveness to under 50%. Rodents have a tendency to chew through wires and if not properly grounded, they could burn your house down under the right circumstances. While these issues can be resolved by calling the Rodent Busters, it is best to contact a contractor in order to ensure that the problem is gone. In the meantime, home owners and home renters alike may find it difficult to live under their current conditions of a weakened home center. As insulation is removed by the rodents in order to nest, fiber glass fibers enter the air and ultimately end up scratching the interior of your lungs as well as the retinas of your eyes. It is best to insure that your home is protected from increased fiber glass fiber in the air by contacting a professional who can come to your home and take air samples to ensure that an inordinate amount of harmful substances is not problematic in your home.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 AM

10,065 posts, read 16,869,389 times
It's probably just dry air. My eyes are burning right now because our radiators have converted our condo into the Sahara. Time to get out the humidifier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs