Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,443 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am relocating from Cincinnati,Oh to Chicago (job related).

I need help in deciding a neighborhood to live in.

Here are my criteria in the order of preference:

1> Within a 15-20 mile radius of W Devon Ave on Lincolnwood. ( where i will be working)

2> Not too expensive neighborhood :
* < 1300$ per month rental for a 2 bed 1-2 bath townhome/ apartment
OR
*< 300,000$ budget for ownership for a 3-4 bdrm, 2-3 bathroom, 2500 sq ft single family home .

3> Good school district : I have a 5 year old. I have started thinking about good schools (gifted child programs, "magnet" schools etc..)

4> Diverse but not very crowded neighborhood (different cultures , religions , races etc..).

I have to relocate before the end of the month, so I would really appreciate any help /advice you have to offer here.

Thank you.

-Erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Are you looking for a suburb or a neighborhood in the city?

You should try to find a place in the suburb of Lincolnwood itself since that is where you will be working. Linconwood is an ok suburb. Search the forum for more info on Lincolnwood.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaket View Post
Hi All,

I am relocating from Cincinnati,Oh to Chicago (job related).

I need help in deciding a neighborhood to live in.

Here are my criteria in the order of preference:

1> Within a 15-20 mile radius of W Devon Ave on Lincolnwood. ( where i will be working)

2> Not too expensive neighborhood :
* < 1300$ per month rental for a 2 bed 1-2 bath townhome/ apartment
OR
*< 300,000$ budget for ownership for a 3-4 bdrm, 2-3 bathroom, 2500 sq ft single family home .

3> Good school district : I have a 5 year old. I have started thinking about good schools (gifted child programs, "magnet" schools etc..)

4> Diverse but not very crowded neighborhood (different cultures , religions , races etc..).

I have to relocate before the end of the month, so I would really appreciate any help /advice you have to offer here.

Thank you.

-Erik
First off, it's neighborhood, not neighbourhood. This isn't the U.K., LOL! You could probably find something in Rogers Park that fits Criteria 1-2, but this neighborhood can be dicey in parts. You'll have to look closely at each block you're considering. Talk to people and check it out at all hours.

And be careful about the 10-20 mile radius part. Around here, radius does not necessarily mean good access to a given area. Check out actual transit times.

As to Criteria 3, contemporary urban young families tend to completely disregard the poor performing Chicago Public Schools because all of their kids are smart enough to get into a magnet school. I'm sure yours is too. But admission into these schools is very competitive and there are no guarantees. Nothing worse than dropping $300k on a slot in a "bleeding edge" neighborhood only to find out that your kid has to go to a school that has a 10% ISAT pass rate and is 98% low income. So to avoid such a "V-8" moment, you should check out the neighborhood school and be honest with yourself about your child's abilities.

The second prong of Criteria 4 will be impossible to meet unless you move out to Barrington. The first prong, yes, Rogers Park is diverse.

My $.02. Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:27 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
rogers park would be good, maybe evanston or edgewater.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 PM

308 posts, read 757,429 times
I would suggest either Evanston or Lincolnwood itself. Both of them are nicer suburbs with pretty good schools. I would say that the schools in Lincolnwood are actually nicer however. Also, both of them, for a nicer suburb at least, are pretty diverse as well and affordable too.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,443 times
Thank you everybody..
I think i will be looking at Rogers Park, Evanston, Lincolnwood, Edgewater for a town-home rental.
I am surprised nobody said Des Plaines, Skokie, Niles or Park Ridge / Edison Park. Somebody mentioned these to me as good options for my search. Let me know if you think there is a good reason to look (or not to look) at these neighborhoods (thanks for correcting my spelling Bru67)

Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaket View Post
I am surprised nobody said Des Plaines, Skokie, Niles or Park Ridge / Edison Park. Somebody mentioned these to me as good options for my search.
Park Ridge has very good schools but you might be hard pressed to find what you want for $300k. It is a really great walking area.

Edison Park has similar housing to Park Ridge BUT is part of the Chicago school district. If I had to live in the city of Chicago, Edison Park would be my personal choice.

As you have probably realized, housing is over 2x what you would pay in Conconnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs