Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattey View Post
I'm a senior at the high school as of right now...and i really like it alot. There are a lot of drugs, and theres definitely a lot of money. I really think that if you tell your kids that your not interested in them doing drugs, they probably won't. My parents had a big influence on the fact that i always say NO. I've lived in south barrington and gone to barrington school districts since kindergarten and the education is really good. i've had substitute teachers from other schools in the area tell me how lucky i am to be attending barrington schools. Also barrington isn't just a bunch of rich snobs. downtown barrington is very nice situated middle class area and there are a lot of nice people there. my neighborhood is very nice as well, my neighbors being those "snobs" that drive ferrari's and porsches but hey, they have great personalities, and my next door neighbor even helps my dad with our house maintanence. spend $300 a week on clothes? sure some people do but i probably average less than $300 a year and i keep myself clean. I also have a job which i support my hobbies, car payments, and other stuff on, and i also know that most of my friends have jobs as well. Barrington is stereotyped way too much. Thats one of the downsides about it, you tell people your from barrington and they some people are definitely turned off by it. As for alternatives to the high prices of barrington, there are two nice neighborhoods off of route 59 on shoe factory road, which are located in hoffman estates, right off of forest preserve property and are very nice neighborhoods which are still in the barrington school district. i would suggest checking those out if your still interested.
Thanks, Mattey! Your post was very insightful. I kept saying that Barrington seemed a lot like Scottsdale out here (but here it's much more upscale), or possibly Paradise Valley. People have an instant perception about those who live in Scottsdale (we used to call it Snottsdale years ago), and even more so in north Scottsdale. Even so, I really like it. There are just a couple places I would want to live long term out here, one being Scottsdale. That's why I was looking at Barrington. Having driven through it just once had a lasting impression on me. However, I doubt we will live in IL (but I always keep an open mind!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 12:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Thanks, Mattey! Your post was very insightful. I kept saying that Barrington seemed a lot like Scottsdale out here (but here it's much more upscale), or possibly Paradise Valley. People have an instant perception about those who live in Scottsdale (we used to call it Snottsdale years ago), and even more so in north Scottsdale. Even so, I really like it. There are just a couple places I would want to live long term out here, one being Scottsdale. That's why I was looking at Barrington. Having driven through it just once had a lasting impression on me. However, I doubt we will live in IL (but I always keep an open mind!).
Scottsdale is 100% different than Barrington in MANY ways. For one, the money in Scottsdale isnt Arizonas, its all from retirees from CA, IL, MN, IA, IN, MI, etc... Scottsdale is congested, Barrington isnt. Scottsdale is a mecca of strip malls, Barrington isnt. We have 4 seasons, Scottsdale doesnt. Etc, etc, etc. And there are far more wealthy towns here in IL than in AZ. Scottsdale and PV are the two richest towns in AZ, but the houses there were nothing more spectacular than Barringtons. Plus, out here we can actually play outside in the summer and roll around in grass, not gravel. All this, plus youre close to one of the world's biggest malls (Woodfield), every amenity available, and big-city life in Chicago, something that Phoenix wont ever have. Have you been to Chicago? Um, yeah, a gajillion times better than Phoenix. Plus the crime rates in Barrington are ALOT lower than Scottsdales, we have better schools, and better air quality. Not to mention a billion other tihngs in teh "better" dept. I love to vacation in Scottsdale, but after 2 weeks, I cant wait to escape. The heat is unbearable (even in early October) and there is nothing there that I cant do here (except hike a mountain). If youre looking into SUPER wealthy areas out here, research Oak Park, Northbrook, Bannockburn, Barrington Hills, South Barrington, Hinsdale (sorta), etc, etc...

Old 12-20-2006, 12:54 PM

How did I know you would jump on this one!

If you read my reply, I said it "seemed a lot like it." I did not say it was the same. Of course I know there is a huge difference between the two. IL in general is very different than AZ. I was really referring to attitudes of people who live in those areas, and perceptions of outsiders.

Geez, lighten up, I don't need a list of why Barrington and IL is better. We all know (esp on the AZ board) how much you love your state AND I agree that Chicago is an awesome place to be.

Don't worry, I'm not here bashing your state. (Which I would really like to see what posts you were referring to.)

Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
How did I know you would jump on this one!

If you read my reply, I said it "seemed a lot like it." I did not say it was the same. Of course I know there is a huge difference between the two. IL in general is very different than AZ. I was really referring to attitudes of people who live in those areas, and perceptions of outsiders.

Geez, lighten up, I don't need a list of why Barrington and IL is better. We all know (esp on the AZ board) how much you love your state AND I agree that Chicago is an awesome place to be.

Don't worry, I'm not here bashing your state. (Which I would really like to see what posts you were referring to.)
I was just stating how Barrington and Scottsdale are not alike, thats al. People included. People in Barrington are not like people in Scottsdale. In Scottsdale everyone buys the most expensive car they can, just to look like they have money. Ive seen people in shacks off of Shea with 2 used BMWs in the driveway. LOL I saw it all over the place down there. In Barrington, ltos of people drive those kind of cars as well, but most simply drive mini-vans or SUVs, theyre not the look-at-me folks you find crawling all over Scottsdale. And those people in Barrington who think their crap dont stink are actually looked down upon the folks with lots more money around here. You know, those people who are like "oh, you only live in Barrington? ugh I live in, like, Bannockburn." Barrington folks usually are very wealthy, but not like the other mega-rich towns, so they generally keep to themselves, but still flaunt their goods, but with a certain quietness. Hard to explain.

Guess Im just confused as to why you started this thread, just to end it with "I dont think we'll live in IL".

Chicago is great, but we're talking about the far west 'burbs here.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Guess Im just confused as to why you started this thread, just to end it with "I dont think we'll live in IL".

Well, if you see the date that I started this thread it's in July! I have since researched it and decided, at least for now, not to move there. But I do still enjoy reading the comments people are leaving.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 66,299 times
Just came across this post and found the replies quite humerous since I just moved to the Barrington area from Las Vegas this past August.

My wife is from Northbrook which is classified in the North Shore area of Chicago and has been wanting to move back from Las Vegas for approximately 5 years now. We now have a daughter who will be turning 4 pretty soon so convincing me to get out of Las Vegas before she starts in the terrible school system and growing up in an environment like Las Vegas was pretty easy to do.

Originally we searched in the North Shore area in areas that have been mentioned in these posts such as Lake Forest, Evanston, Wilmette, etc.... however after comparing home prices along with the school systems and overall atmosphere, we really fell in love with the Barrington area.

Since we are both real estate brokers, we felt the overall value was best in this area and the real estate is really unique. It does not look like anytown USA with strip malls, cookie cutter subdivisions and big box stores on every major road. Home Prices compared to the North Shore are a lot lower for what you get for your money and higher then anytown, USA. However, that's what makes it the Barrington area. It's unique and the people that choose to live in Barrington don't want strip malls and big box stores in their backyard.

As for the people that make up the Barrington area, it's the reason why our focus went from the North Shore to the Barrington area. Compared to Las Vegas, the people are much more friendlier and down to earth. Yes.... dressing in overalls or ripped up dirty clothes will probably raise an eyebrow or two in Barrington..... but just because somebody dresses nice, drives a nice car or has a huge rock on their finger does not mean they are bad people.

As far as the residents living in the Barrington area, there is much less showing off the wealth then where we came from in Las Vegas (Summerlin) and I can guarantee you that you can walk into downtown Barrington, say Hello to somebody walking by and they will say hello back.

In the short four months we've lived in our neighborhood within the Barrington Village limits, we've met and gotten to know more of our neighbors then we did in five years of living in Summerlin. And.... we probably live in the cheapest house in the neighborhood so it has nothing to do with the amount of money we have.. (or don't!)

Just my perception of making the move out of the fake west coast area to Barrington. For those of you making comments about fake people, just move out to the west coast for a little while and then you'll know what you are talking about.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Barrington is a lovely area with all sorts of homes.Yes,they have alot of mcmansions and old money estates,but they also have a charming village>it is not cheap,but how people treat you,or how "material" they are depends on who is doing the observing and who just might be jealous

Old 06-19-2007, 06:05 AM

180 posts, read 378,264 times
Some of these responses are ridiculous.

I've grown up in Barrington. I'm 25 now. I'm about as far from a "snob" as you can get. I guess it all depends on how you were raised. There are idiots in every town, every city and every state in this country. Barrington is no exception.

For the most part, the stereotypes we get (rich pricks, etc) are ridiculous and unfair. Mostly good people around here. The only bad I've encountered are the spoiled kids whose parents are all "new money." For example, daddy owns a business and the son refers to it as "his" because he knows daddy will just employ him for life anyway. The son probably drives a new Escalade as well, and will never have to get a "real" job. These people represent a small percentage. Definitely not the norm, thank God.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 AM

I agree with you,been here 20 years and the family atmosphere,people,area is so nice that I cant help but think there is so much ignorance that it must be JEALOUSY-- its obvious and ridiculous.There are jerks in every town in every state and who you choose to hang with says more about you then them.Its hard to be snobby with horse manure under your fingernails and I live among the horse people.What an injustice to a lovely area.I hope people are smart enough to know jealousy when they read it

Last edited by nanannie; 06-19-2007 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Wait--This thread was from A YEAR AGO??? Whats the reason? I dont get it

Last edited by nanannie; 06-19-2007 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs