Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 12,237 times

Advertisements

My son will be attending Pre-K Early Childhood in September 2010 and we desperately need help in deciding which school districts have great systems and supports for children with special needs.

My son is diagnosed with Spina Bifida. Although, he is functioning well despite having that diagnosis, we still want to enroll him in a school district where he is well supported and loved.

So far, we are thinking about Barrington or Arlington Heights. Can anyone please help us? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
I lived in Wheaton for 1-1/2 years, and although I found the town too stuffy and conservative for my tastes, the public school (Wiesbrook) was top notch. My son needed a speech therapist in first grade, and they are a small school, so they moved quickly and efficiently, and the therapist was friendly and got the job done.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
NSSED works with several north shore school districts. SEDOL works with schools in the Northwest suburbs. Since they know/see the various schools and districts, they might have a better basis of comparison from which to give a recommendation.

As you know, every special needs kid is different, so a great district for one type of kid might be a weak district for another. The above organizations will have insight into which districts offer which programs/facilities.

GOOD LUCK!!

PS. If you're planning on buying a house in the district, think about RENTING instead. If the programs change* or your sons needs change (or you hear about a better program elsewhere), it will be easier to pull up roots and follow the services.

*Very likely in economically hard times.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:03 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,123 times
I can't say for sure but I know the Glenview schools are outstanding in every way. I would think that would extend to special needs

Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM

137 posts, read 549,568 times
Naperville - Indian Prairie School Dist 204 has an outstanding program -

Crouse Education Center
780 Shoreline Drive
Aurora, IL 60504

Main Office Phone

They don't advertise it much, and try to keep it low key. But, I have clients that have a daughter who participates in the program and couldn't be happier with the decision they made to move to Naperville because of the wonderful progress their daughter has made. They were frightened about leaving her support staff behind, but found the move was for the better.

Also, Naperville School Dist 203 is currently in the process of building their own stand alone facility as well. Projected completion is later this year.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
When a friend of mine was in a severe car wreck as a kid that left him with brain damage, his family moved to Naperville from another suburb due to the quality of special education there. I guess he lost a lot of what he had learned through grade school, and they helped him relearn everything. He ended up at a top 10 university. Pretty incredible.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone for all the help. I trully appreciate it. However, here is my situation, my husband works in Schaumburg and to travel back and forth from Naperville will be too much. Does anyone know how bad the traffic is going North during rush hours?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
The traffic sucks either way , pretty much. I can understand why you were thinking Arlington Heights.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM

So far, after talking to several people (parents included), I was recommended Barrington. However, I'm very interested in getting more reviews from Arlighton Heights or Buffalo Grove school districts.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
The traffic sucks either way , pretty much. I can understand why you were thinking Arlington Heights.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 AM

Also would appreciate if anyone can advise on Deerfield and Lincolnshire schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs