Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times

Advertisements

Are you are seriously going to assert that the GOP hasn't courted the rural and exurban vote in part by deriding the urban centers of the US? Have you listened to any GOP candidates campaign recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Not all Republicans believe that mass transit riders are evil. Gov. Thompson signed a bill that reformed and improved it in the 80's. This election looks like a good chance for them to retake the Governor's office: The Dems are the Party of Blagojevich, the Lt Gov candidate has withdrawn and Gov. Quinn may need to raise taxes. And the anti-incumbent sentiment in a depressed econnomy. But the GOP has problems of its own: The winner of the Primary is not official. Possibly Brady, who got only about 21% of the vote and suffers from lack of name recognition.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not all Republicans believe that mass transit riders are evil. Gov. Thompson signed a bill that reformed and improved it in the 80's. This election looks like a good chance for them to retake the Governor's office: The Dems are the Party of Blagojevich, the Lt Gov candidate has withdrawn and Gov. Quinn may need to raise taxes. And the anti-incumbent sentiment in a depressed econnomy. But the GOP has problems of its own: The winner of the Primary is not official. Possibly Brady, who got only about 21% of the vote and suffers from lack of name recognition.
I know many Republicans that ride mass transit!!! They take the Metra everyday! :-)

Bill Brady actually has pretty good name recognition. I saw some of his campaign signs in Winnetka. He also was competitive in the 2004 GOP senate primary (believe he was a close 2nd to Jack Ryan). He also isn't that deeply downstate. He is from McLean County, which is reasonably close to Chicago.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Democrats promise lots of goodies and people want to believe them..
I never really thought of affordable health care, a social security check, better disabality services and a higher minimum wage as "goodies" but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Go to any college and walk the library - you see immigrants studying hard. Then walk over to the Union or local gathering area - you see the US born middle and upper class, white kids having a "good time."
What union building? In the Chicago area? :-/

Direct me, please..

Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Republicans keep courting the far right at the expense of moderates, and this will guarantee that they continue to lose elections in "purple states" like Illinois and Wisconsin long into the future. I personally have a strong distaste for the Democratic Party in Illinois, but refuse to vote for Republicans outside of local elections because their national agenda is completely insane from a social perspective. And I am no fan of Pat Quinn, but fear Republican cuts to essential services like the CTA.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Republicans keep courting the far right at the expense of moderates, and this will guarantee that they continue to lose elections in "purple states" like Illinois and Wisconsin long into the future. I personally have a strong distaste for the Democratic Party in Illinois, but refuse to vote for Republicans outside of local elections because their national agenda is completely insane from a social perspective. And I am no fan of Pat Quinn, but fear Republican cuts to essential services like the CTA.
I am quite confused. How is the GOP social agenda "insane"? The only distinct difference between the GOP and Democratic social platforms is their position on abortion. Same-sex marriage, etc. are all the same. If you consider gun control a social issue then there is the only other distinct difference.

On top of that Republicans seem to me to be much more independent than Democrats. Look at the health care bill, all of the Democrats in the senate folded to pass it. If you look at an issue like a federal constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, many Republicans in both the house and senate did not support it.

Also take a look at the ILGOP nominees and see how different their views on social issues are and compare them to the homogeneous ILDemocratic nominees.

Last edited by US-Traveller; 02-17-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
^^Are you serious? The far-right leadership that has taken control of the G.O.P. is almost at the level of an American Taliban. I'm talking about incredibly vital issues like the separation of church and state, which mainstream Republicans have only recently decided to take issue with to pander to southern far-right voters. Today's Republicans are all about "Liberty" and "Freedom" when regulators and the I.R.S. are around, but then morph into morality police at the first sight of a gay person or atheist. This is fine in Mississippi, but Illinois voters are turned off by this behavior. You'll notice that socially liberal Republicans fare much better around here in local elections--but that they never ascend to leadership roles in at the national level.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
^^Are you serious? The far-right leadership that has taken control of the G.O.P. is almost at the level of an American Taliban. I'm talking about incredibly vital issues like the separation of church and state, which mainstream Republicans have only recently decided to take issue with to pander to southern far-right voters. Today's Republicans are all about "Liberty" and "Freedom" when regulators and the I.R.S. are around, but then morph into morality police at the first sight of a gay person or atheist. This is fine in Mississippi, but Illinois voters are turned off by this behavior. You'll notice that socially liberal Republicans fare much better around here in local elections--but that they never ascend to leadership roles in at the national level.
There hasn't been a single piece of legislation passed by this supposed "far-right..morality police...leadership."

I also beg to differ that socially liberal Republican politicians fair better in Illinois. The last GOP senator (Fitzgerald 1999-2005) was an ardent social and fiscal conservative. All of the past GOP governors have been strongly pro-life. None of the GOP congressman from Illinois have 100% Naral voting records, and only Kirk and Biggert have less than 100% ratings from NRLC. We do have more socially pragmatic Republicans here, but none that are socially liberal, save Judy Baar Topinka.

I would also like to state that Illinois is not as socially liberal as you might think. IL House Dems refuse to put up same-sex marriage for a vote because they know it would be handidly defeated here in Illinois. Illinois is largely blue-collar union Democratic, not white collar liberal Democratic. All of our wealthy suburban areas around Chicago lean GOP.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Part of the issue is that Chicago and some suburbs are heavily Catholic, which means Pro-Life and against gay marriage. But it also means liberal on some issues, such as health and welfare. Also, I think Fitzgerald's problem may have been he was too honest and found the Senate a lonely placefor one who stood up on principle.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Part of the issue is that Chicago and some suburbs are heavily Catholic, which means Pro-Life and against gay marriage. But it also means liberal on some issues, such as health and welfare. Also, I think Fitzgerald's problem may have been he was too honest and found the Senate a lonely placefor one who stood up on principle.
He didn't hate the senate. In fact he lives in McLean, Virginia. He complained that Illinois had turned into a solidly blue state since his election in '98. Also part of his decision was lack of support from the ILGOP. He brought in Patrick Fitzgerald, which made the ILGOP mad because Governor Ryan was knocked down by him. He also made the ILGOP mad by not bringing home federal dollars for projects like the Lincoln Library. I think the nail in his political coffin might have been when he was the only senator to vote against the airline bailout. This on top of his staunch opposition to O'Hare Expansion led both American Airlines and United Airlines to come out against his re-election. At the time these were two of some of the biggest political players in Illinois, where contributions from corporations continue to be unlimited. UAL and American Airlines are some of the largest employers in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs