U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,282 times

Advertisements

I am a single 29 year old guy. I'm pretty much a home body, sometimes I go out, but for the most part I don't lead the most exciting life. Here is my question I am accepting a job at Abbott in North Chicago, I hate driving and hate commuting so I want to live close. I don't live a lavish lifestyle so I am considering Waukegan, Zion or North Chicago. I would rather drive to nightlife once a week than drive to work five days a week. I am concerned a little bit about all the bad things people say about Waukegan and North Chicago. There are tons of cheap houses in this area. What kind of crime do I have to worrry about in this area. If I stay in my house for the most part and don't show off my money (ie. no flashy car, don't need a perfect lawn or to have "curb appeal" ) will I really be that unsafe. I mean I don't plan on walking down the street at one in the morning drunk with $100 bills hanging out of my pocket or anything. What is reasonable place in these areas to live? I don't wanna get hit by a stray while I am sitting at home on a friday night playing xbox or something, but I just can't afford anything in libertyville or lake bluff. I plan on being out and about during the day but in by sunset for the most part. Any advice from people who live in this area would be helpful.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 AM

15,587 posts, read 22,420,630 times
"Can you talk me into or out of buying a house in Waukegan"

No.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,863,513 times
I think the safety issue in these areas is exaggerated a bit. Crime is in a downward trend in Waukegan, and lower than the national average. Areas feel dirty and run down, but there are also some areas that look perfectly fine and safe. If you have no kids and aren't worried about how easily you'll be able to sell in the future, I don't see a huge problem.

I would look in Gurnee, too. A bit better of a reputation, with lower housing prices than Libertyville and Lake Bluff.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,523 times
I'm temporarily in Kenosha, WI, about 15 min away from Gurnee. Can't speak for Waukegan at all, but I'd say Gurnee has their well-known mall and 6 Flags if you don't need too much variety for entertainment. There are a lot of chain restaurants (Olive Garden, Chili's, etc) around that area. And if you're bored some weekend you can trek up to Milwaukee, but compared to Chicago it offers a lot less overall.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 AM

42,011 posts, read 31,790,002 times
Why not rent something for a year and get to know the area first hand.

Then you can decide, for yourself, if it makes sense to buy there.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM

3,687 posts, read 6,845,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why not rent something for a year and get to know the area first hand.

Then you can decide, for yourself, if it makes sense to buy there.
Great advice, especially in this market. Prices aren't going anywhere and it's kind of hard to get accurate advice from a message board, unless it's from people who actually live in the community. So go see for yourself!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM

867 posts, read 1,793,407 times
I'd stick with Gurnee

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,799,656 times
You should think a bit further into the future in terms of home values, etc. and position yourself in a safe suburb. There are a ton of people who work at Abbott and live in Gurnee or Libertyville. You will find good and affordable housing in Gurnee. Avoid Waukegan.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 AM

5 posts, read 10,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bard243 View Post
I am a single 29 year old guy. I'm pretty much a home body, sometimes I go out, but for the most part I don't lead the most exciting life. Here is my question I am accepting a job at Abbott in North Chicago, I hate driving and hate commuting so I want to live close. I don't live a lavish lifestyle so I am considering Waukegan, Zion or North Chicago. I would rather drive to nightlife once a week than drive to work five days a week. I am concerned a little bit about all the bad things people say about Waukegan and North Chicago. There are tons of cheap houses in this area. What kind of crime do I have to worrry about in this area. If I stay in my house for the most part and don't show off my money (ie. no flashy car, don't need a perfect lawn or to have "curb appeal" ) will I really be that unsafe. I mean I don't plan on walking down the street at one in the morning drunk with $100 bills hanging out of my pocket or anything. What is reasonable place in these areas to live? I don't wanna get hit by a stray while I am sitting at home on a friday night playing xbox or something, but I just can't afford anything in libertyville or lake bluff. I plan on being out and about during the day but in by sunset for the most part. Any advice from people who live in this area would be helpful.

Thanks
If you're not an elitist and don't mind cultural diversity, I recommend north side of Waukegan (60087). Most north side neighborhoods have direct routes to Sheridan road. You can find a good single-family size home w/curb appeal neighborhood. If you're single, this is a good investment as you're most likely pay less on a mortgage than if you were to rent in a more affluent area. However, if you have school age children, you will need to outweigh sending to private school or moving to better school district.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,845,965 times
Google EPA Superfund sites and see what's going on in Waukegan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs