Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM

13 posts, read 34,999 times

Advertisements

Witch town is better to raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
I would have no problem with either. They both have pretty solid school systems. However, if thinking of resale of your home in the future, a home in Oak Lawn might stand better chances.

I think I'd go with Oak Lawn, if I had kids.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
Well, first off, Oak Lawn is so much bigger than Oak Forest, size and population. There is a major hospital in Oak Lawn with another just down the street. There is a major shopping area, also. The traffic is more congested, being so close to Chicago city limits.
Oak Forest has a totally different feel. Less populated, smaller busy streets. On certain stretches of Central, speed limit is crawling due to the high school and residential area. When I lived in Oak Forest, I could walk to the library, post office and Jewel. That was okay with me. Also, you are surrounded by walking trails and bike paths, another plus.
The schools are actually quite good, but depending where you live, you may have 3 different grammar/jr high schools from 1-8 before they stay the 4 years at Oak Forest High. My son started at Kimberly Heights, then went to Scarlet Oak, then Oak Forest Jr. High (which is brand new.)
And depending where you live, high school can be Oak Forest, Tinley or Sandburg.
There are pockets of ugliness in Oak Forest on 159th near Cicero, but most places have them, don't they?
We sold our house in Oak Forest in under a week 3 and a half years ago and got twice what we bought it for 12 years before that. Of course, that was at the very last fringe of the crazy housing market.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Default Oak Lawn Vs. Oak Forest

Both are very nice, you won't go wrong with either. Oak Lawn has a little more of a city/urban feel, Oak Forest is more suburban, pretty much same as Tinley or Orland or Palos.

For family I would say Oak Forest is better but you won't go wrong with either.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 PM

13 posts, read 34,999 times
I have a question for all North, Northwest, and North Shore residents. I live in the South burbs, one of my friends moved you north (palatine). I want to a bbq this summer at his new place, when I told people I lived in the South burbs, all I heard all night was that the South burbs are all white trash and a bunch of hillbillies. It get pretty bad I had to leave. Not I'M NOT ASKING ANYONE SOUTH THIS QUESTION, JUST NORTH BURB RESIDENTS......Do all people from the North burbs think that the South are hillibillies and white trush? and if so why?

Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago99 View Post
I live in the South burbs, one of my friends moved you north (palatine). I want to a bbq this summer at his new place, when I told people I lived in the South burbs, all I heard all night was that the South burbs are all white trash and a bunch of hillbillies. It get pretty bad I had to leave.
What about all the black people who live south? I don't blame you for leaving a barbecue where you are surrounded by such incredible stupidity. I guess they were too classy to say it's white trash AND something else that starts with an N. They were thinking it though!

..Maybe this should be a new thread? Instead of attaching something new and unrelated to your first thread?

Anyway, I think you'll find that on this forum CubSoxFan is on record saying that there are nice suburbs in all directions of Chicago and Reppin_the_847 has had some very positive words to say about Homewood. Nasty words about the south suburbs have been mostly said by former residents and people from the city - not the north burbs.

Last edited by urza216; 10-08-2011 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
I think a lot of people who live north are just totally unfamiliar with the south suburbs. I include myself in that, I've lived north, west and in the city, but never south. I have 1 high school friend who moved to Orland because she and her husband work out that way. They have a very nice house and they say the schools are terrific. I think the people at that party were probably a bunch of a-holes. It's not classy to talk to other people like that - they sound like white trash.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM

43 posts, read 250,304 times
Oak Lawn = Future ghetto

Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago99 View Post
I have a question for all North, Northwest, and North Shore residents. I live in the South burbs, one of my friends moved you north (palatine). I want to a bbq this summer at his new place, when I told people I lived in the South burbs, all I heard all night was that the South burbs are all white trash and a bunch of hillbillies. It get pretty bad I had to leave. Not I'M NOT ASKING ANYONE SOUTH THIS QUESTION, JUST NORTH BURB RESIDENTS......Do all people from the North burbs think that the South are hillibillies and white trush? and if so why?
Perhaps because of the atrocious spelling and grammar of some south suburban residents?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
It's not classy to talk to other people like that - they sound like white trash.
What's wrong with being white trash, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs