U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 PM

37 posts, read 70,916 times
Default English Basement????

Hi,

I know about finished and unfinished, daylight and walk-out.....but English????
Can someone advise what a 'full English basement' is?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:41 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,407,438 times
Well, it comes equipped with a tea station and a small room that acts as a changing room for equestrians.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:14 AM
efb

78 posts, read 139,401 times
As far as I know, it is when you walk up some stairs to enter the house and the bottom floor is a full basement with windows -- like an extra story....but it might be different up there -- I am in the South.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,942,215 times
I think it has a separate entrance than the top floors of a house, so it could be easily rented out as a unit...I see it on that one show on HGTV a lot, that one where the guy renovates a rental unit for the owners of the house. I can't remember its name.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:40 PM

4,389 posts, read 9,811,407 times
An English Basement is one without an outside entrance, as a "walk-out basement" has. Its totally underground with those partial windows, often with window wells. This is what we were told by realtors here. Out east, I believe they are basement apts, floors underground,ceiling above ground.

Last edited by nanannie; 01-21-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How about instead of using energy to be a lazy ass, try googling something instead of starting a thread with a question that could have easily been found out on one's own in less than a minute?

Also, the question has nothing to do with Chicago or the Chicago area in specific. My answer relates to the question as much as the question relates to the Chicago Suburb forum.
For the record, I did search English basement on Yahoo and spent a few minutes sifting to find an answer prior to posting. Moreover, as a previous resident of the midwest and now the east coast, and moving to Chicago suburbs.... 'english basement' is unique to the real estate listings in the Chicago region in my house hunting experience.

Avengerfire, you didn't have to post at all, if you really felt the question was so offensive to your sensibilities.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,407,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjasking View Post
For the record, I did search English basement on Yahoo and spent a few minutes sifting to find an answer prior to posting...

Avengerfire, you didn't have to post at all, if you really felt the question was so offensive to your sensibilities.
I was just making a joke with my first post. I have nothing against you really.

I do suggest Google to use for searches. It is far better than Yahoo. If you would have searched in Wikipedia or via Google, the answer to your question would have come up right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_basement

Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,741,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How about instead of using energy to be a lazy *&^, try googling something instead of starting a thread with a question that could have easily been found out on one's own in less than a minute?

Also, the question has nothing to do with Chicago or the Chicago area in specific. My answer relates to the question as much as the question relates to the Chicago Suburb forum.
Well, it's true that the question is unrelated, but why couldn't you just say that?

ANYWAY, There are a few of what he's talking about in Washington Heights on the city's south side. They are similar to a garden apartment, except they are the base floor of a house. That's what I think he's referring to. I've seen people in one story homes rent out their "basements" which are very similar to garden apartments. I googled a few pics of the "english basement" and the photo I saw looked similar to what I saw in others' homes.

Last edited by deechee; 01-21-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Sorry I should have specified in my original question I was looking exclusively in the Chicago suburbs. I noticed a fair amount of newly constructed single family homes in large developments referenced this English basement without additional specifics.

However I found this listing today :
Beautiful aster model with 5!! Brs., 3.1 !! Bths. Perfect condition inside and out. 2 story entry, formal liv. Rm & separate dining rm. Kitchen opens to family rm with fp. And all appliances will stay. 4- 2nd flr brs. Including mstr with private bth and walkin closets. English lower level is finished with full bth, br. 5, rec rm with fp and bar.

Thus, I think an English basement must include something like closets, plumbing etc. in theory to replicate the idea of an English basement apartment, in a single family home/subdivision. Here in Boston, I think the realtors would write in-law suite or simply say finished basement with full bath? Now I know

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 PM

10,740 posts, read 14,233,232 times
I would be hard pressed to believe any unit advertised in Chicago as an "apartment" could be rented without a private bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs