U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 35,636 times

Advertisements

Hi-I'm from the UK and we generally tip for good service not for bad - tends to be around 10-15%.

When in restaurants in the US, we've been tipping 20% of the total food and drinks bill - is this normal or should we be doubling the tax or something else?

I've been told to tip hairdressers and beauticians 20% too and bar staff a dollar a drink.

But what about Starbuck's, tip jars, etc? Should you only tip if it's a place you go to regularly? Also, furniture delivery guys - should they be tipped?

Back home, I would tip the postman and bin man at Christmas - is this standard in the US too?

Any tips?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,236,959 times
15-20% is considered the norm. I usually tip 20% unless I was absolutely wow'd. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened in a while.

I usually tip my barber a few bucks on a 15 dollar hair cut.

I don't think I've ever tipped a coffee house or restaurant.

What's the bin man? A trash guy? The only time I've slipped them a 20 is if I need something to be illegally hauled away, lol.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 3,857,648 times
You've got the right idea on restaurant tipping. Hairdressers, etc usually get 10-15%

I don't tip at starbucks, and I'll usual tip a dollar or two if carrying out, since someone had to put together my takeout bag.

At Christmas, you can do whatever you're comfortable with. I don't think there's really a "standard."

Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,057,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola1 View Post
Hi-I'm from the UK and we generally tip for good service not for bad - tends to be around 10-15%.

When in restaurants in the US, we've been tipping 20% of the total food and drinks bill - is this normal or should we be doubling the tax or something else?

I've been told to tip hairdressers and beauticians 20% too and bar staff a dollar a drink.

But what about Starbuck's, tip jars, etc? Should you only tip if it's a place you go to regularly? Also, furniture delivery guys - should they be tipped?

Back home, I would tip the postman and bin man at Christmas - is this standard in the US too?

Any tips?
We give our mail carrier, garbage man, UPS man (I get regular deliveries for work) and school bus drivers a gift. It is repaid in kind by the extra service we get. I eat alone often for work. My bills are usually $9-$12 and I tip $2-$2.50. Otherwise I tip 15-20%, unless it's a very expensive restaurant and then it's closer to 15%. I tend to look at the total dollar amount compared to the service and adjust up or down. Since I only get regular coffee at Starbucks, I don't tip. Occasionally when a Barista brews me decaf or a better java than the Pikes Peak in the afternoon, I will tip.
For one or two drinks, I would tip $1 each, less for larger order.
Furniture guys, depends on service. When LaZBoy delivered, they just left furniture in center of room-no tip. When ABT delivered appliances, they got tip becasue they set up everything, unwrapped everything, connected frig to water line and took cartons with them on their truck. I do, at least, offer delivery guys a bottle of water, soda or Gatorade.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM

1,464 posts, read 4,847,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola1 View Post

Any tips?
15-20% is the norm. 10% if the service is bad. 20 if it's good.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,247,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
15-20% is the norm. 10% if the service is bad. 20 if it's good.
I'll tip 15 cents if the service is bad. That way, they'll know I meant to leave a bad tip, unlike others (like my dad) who tips barely 10% all the time.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM

10,149 posts, read 18,131,294 times
I don't tip counter help like the jaspers at Starbucks. I suppose next we'd have to tip the counterman at the auto parts store when we buy new brake pads.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 AM

2,883 posts, read 3,843,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I'll tip 15 cents if the service is bad. That way, they'll know I meant to leave a bad tip, unlike others (like my dad) who tips barely 10% all the time.
I went to lunch with my mom a while ago and was shocked at the tip she left, something like 12%. She just didn't know better. I put more money down and told her 15-20% is standard now.

If the service is really that bad, you need to let the manager know. A good restaurant will want to improve the situation. The waitron may need some remedial training or even firing. If the problem is food is slow coming out of the kitchen, don't penalize the server if you are being informed and checked on. It's not the server's fault if the kitchen gets in the weeds. Even really good restaurants can occasionally get behind if they get a rush. Don't expect fabulous service on the big holidays, like Valentine's Day. Everyone wants to eat at the same time and it causes backlogs.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 6,831,179 times
Default Knitgirl

Waiters and waitresses have developed an entitlement with regards to tips.

If the service is bad, you are to give them 10%? What a joke.

If the service is bad growing up my parents would not tip at all. Now, I tip 15% for okay service and 20-25% for excellent service. My typical tip is 15-20%.

Leaving a 12% tip is not the worst thing in the world. Maybe you mother is just frugal.

My dad would tip $2-3 for meals of 6 of my family ($40 meals at Ponderosa). Though this is light, 10% is justified as all they do is refill your soda and clear your dirty plates.

I think the amount you tip depends on the level of service provided by both the restaurant and the wait staff.

I know waitresses at dive dinners who think they should get $5 tip for every meal as it takes about as much effort to serve $10 meal as $30 meal.

I will just stick to 15-20% unless the service is really good or bad and your mom is fine with her 12% tip.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,328,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I don't tip if service is bad... Why should I give them even pocket change for not doing their job? I'll usually give 15-20% if service is average, and depending on where I am (the lower the bill, the higher I usually tip, these are the people who usually get the smallest tips) and if the service is outstanding, I'll tip upwards of 25%. I was raised to be charitable though. 25% is not commonplace in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs