Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 AM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well considering you should only be able to afford a home 3 times your income that means a 300k house. A 300k house in chicago is not much at all. Do a search. Most are a lot more for anywhere decent. I think 250k is like the min you can find a home for in naperville?

I am wondering what people do to. I thought white collar managers only make 100-150k a year? So what do these people do? Especially in the northern suburbs where there are mansions everywhere and where just a normal sized house is sooo much.

My source was wikipedia
My cousin is a mortgage broker in the Western burbs. The amount of debt some people put themselves into in order to afford that lifestyle is mind-boggling. Sure, not everyone is like that-- maybe even most people are not like that-- (and I do have friends in Naperville and similar areas who do very well for themselves) but of the people he works with, Naperville is the biggest offender he sees as far as the number of people trying to live beyond their means. Everybody is so busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that nobody realizes that the Joneses are in pretty bad shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
My cousin is a mortgage broker in the Western burbs. The amount of debt some people put themselves into in order to afford that lifestyle is mind-boggling. Sure, not everyone is like that-- maybe even most people are not like that-- (and I do have friends in Naperville and similar areas who do very well for themselves) but of the people he works with, Naperville is the biggest offender he sees as far as the number of people trying to live beyond their means. Everybody is so busy trying to keep up with the Joneses that nobody realizes that the Joneses are in pretty bad shape.
Is it that they're superficial, or that everyone is telling them they have to live in a "safe" area with "great schools" to preserve their safety and give their children a chance? I mean, read this board. Sometimes, you would think the only places to live and have a good quality of life are Elmhurst, Naperville, Oak Park, Evanston, and Orland Park. Everywhere else is allegedly filled with "gangbangers" (often used as a code word for minorities) and menace.

I think framing the issue as a mere case of artificial people trying to keep up with the Joneses doesn't go far enough. Ignorance and prejudice play a critical role. Things will not change until people look beyond the smoke and mirrors and say enough is enough. Otherwise, the economic and racial segregation we see now will continue, and, as we're discussing, it is very expensive indeed to get onto the top floor of that system!

Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,393 times
I think you are missing the best secret of the entire Chicagoland area. How about an area with Award Winning Schools, Nationally recognized Parks, a Mayberry like atmosphere, amazing little league fields, 2 public pools, its own nature preserve, summer outdoor movies, 8-10 outdoor tennis courts, a world class fitness center, great shopping, awesome restaurants, 45 minutes to the Indiana Dunes, a diverse non-judgemental population who all focus on raising great kids and living a good life..oh and its a 30 minute Metra ride to downtown....Just come out any summer night and stand in line at the Dairy Queen, you'll get the idea. I think you really should check out the Homewood Flossmoor area. Homes start around $140,000 and go up to 3 million. A nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath home can easily be purchased for around $225,000. The secret is out so hurry, home prices went up around 40% in the last 3.5 years.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Kind of kills me what some of these suburbanites consider a "bad neighborhood". I lived near a bad neighborhood in the city for 7 years, these people wouldn't know what a really bad neighborhood is!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 AM

108 posts, read 502,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity7774 View Post
All those numbers go out the window for me!! I just get mad I didn't buy a house 6-7 yrs ago anywhere!!! All those people (like my parents) who bought a nice house in Elk Grove 20 years ago, are set...... They can make $70k in a household and live in a great area. Now us yougin's who can make $70k a year, can't afford to buy into those neighborhoods. I would need to make $150k a year to buy my parents house. So sad..... born at the wrong time. No wonder why so many move. Colorado Springs.... nice house $125-150k.
You got my situation down to a T. We're actually considering going to Colorado to be able to afford a house, however unsure if you can earn the same salary there (The cost of living is a bit less), and have heard that there prices our rising quickly and schools are suffering.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Kind of kills me what some of these suburbanites consider a "bad neighborhood". I lived near a bad neighborhood in the city for 7 years, these people wouldn't know what a really bad neighborhood is!
As a long time city dweller I can say the same thing. I also know that when you throw some kids into the equation, things are a bit different. It is very easy for me as one who does not have children to be completely mystified about the whole neighborhood obsession that I feel some people have, but if I had children, I know that my opinions would probably be much different. Do I feel that one can raise children in the city and have everything be okay? Of course I do, I know loads of normal well adjusted intelligent children who grew up in Chicago proper but I do know that issues of neighborhood safety and school quality would become MUCH more paramount to my approach to life than they currently are now.

Last edited by j33; 06-04-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 11:58 AM

108 posts, read 502,589 times
Before I had a kid, I lived in near Humboldt Park and while aware that there was some issues in the area, never really seen any first hand (less kids throwing rocks at cars), and never really had a sense of feeling unsafe.

I think that if we didn't have a child, I'd love to own a condo or townhouse in the South Loop. I'm sure that area is going to boom (even more then it is already).

It's easy to say my point-of-view has changed 90 degrees since having a child. I like quiet streets with sidewalks, low amounts of traffic, a good school district, lots of trees, and safety more importantly then any of the above. I will not own a gun, nor will I live with bars in the windows. If that makes me a "typical suburbanite", then so be it.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 16,096 times
Ask yourself... is it a need or a want?, nowadays everyone wants to keep up with the Jones's...2-3 cars, recreational vehicle, SUV's, all the toys at home. Everyone is maxed out on their credit cards and owes, owes, owes. What if one loses their job or becomes disabled? Try to live in proportion to your income and SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. Who really knows what will happen in this economy, the country is in HUGE debt and it will have to be repaid someday!
We have lived in Aurora now for 4 years and it's quite affordable if one lives within their means. If anyone is looking to relocate here our Condo Townhouse is up for sale. It's 1600 sq ft, has 3 large bedrooms 2 car garageded and all landscaping and snow removal is included in the association fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs