Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 17,478 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your help. I had never heard of Downers Grove before -- seems like there are some decent homes offered in our price range. How are the schools there ranked? I have seen a lot of great things about Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, but haven't heard much about DG's school district. Those areas seem much more do-able with our commute than Naperville.

Also, any opinions on Woodridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
DG's high schools are probably near the top of the second tier of DuPage Co schools, it is not in the "first rank" with Hinsdale Central and Naperville North, and the achievement is a hair below the best of Glen Ellyn & Wheaton. The North Campus is smaller, and has more "traditional' feel, while South is bigger school with more diversity. Pluses and minuses for both...

Woodridge stretches south from DG all the way to Lemont / Bolingbrook -- lots of nice newer houses that are more affordable than in more exclusive zip codes, but also some stretched of apartment and such that get a little over crowded. Still very much 'suburban' but overall a step down in the demographics than area with less rental units. Again, might be worth the tradeoff depending on your needs...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:34 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
The suburbs mentioned are all quite nice. But Chet, I need to ask if $400K really doesn't buy a decent house in Arlington Heights or Mt. Prospect. When property taxes are factored in, does $400K buy more house in Downers, Glen Ellyn or Wheaton (which are desirable & beautiful)than AH or MP?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 AM

33 posts, read 69,741 times
Regarding the Thornwood Subdivision in South Elgin, IL. I love recommending this community to relocating families because it is so family oriented and it is easy for the kids to get acclimated in the neighborhood. It has wonderful recreational amenities, good schools and parks, great access to shopping and close to expressways and the Metra train is not too far. I have sold many homes to clients and written a blog about Thornwood on this forum and also have a photo blog about this subdivision at: See the neighborhood of Thornwood in South Elgin. Here you can see photos and stats about the neighborhood. It is a great place to live.

Last edited by CindyStrahota; 01-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Downers grove is too far from Mt. Prospect for a reasonable commute. Would you like under one hour? An hour? and hour+ would that be OK? Remember when the weather gets bad your commute time increases.

Really, you need to do some research time for what commutes are in Chicagoland. They can be killer, esp. in the northern burbs. It is not so much about distance but what is the best route to get there. Just because the commute is along a highway or toll road does NOT mean it is going to be the quickest route, just that it is the straightest.

Also, in my job searches previous, I have found that most of the best jobs and corporate headquarters are to the northern burbs, I would try to find something up that way. That way if you either ever lost your jobs it would be a good location. If I had to buy a home again, that is what I would do since many jobs seem to be up there. Seriously, the tricities (fox valley) area is kind of a joke for decent jobs. St. Charles schools are good, and it is a great place to live but no one who lives here works here. They all commute into Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates or Naperville.

Sorry no suggestions as to what a good northwestern suburb would be for you as I am not familiar with up that way. What about Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates?

Just my two cents... good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs