Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
dvb dvb started this thread

4 posts, read 10,352 times

Advertisements

Empty nesters looking in the Wheaton/Glen Ellyn area for a minimum 3BR single family home in quiet area and looking for suggestions for areas to focus on. Looking for proximity to forest preserves/areas for nature walks and not too long a drive to Metra UP West line. Would like a large private yard for gardening. Price range around $500K, give or take, depending on condition. Any suggestions for areas to focus on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
That would not seem to be too hard to find at all. Are you already local to the area? You could probably find some open houses for this weekend that would fill the bill...

Big questions might include : "what consititutes quiet" -- the neighbors likely to have such homes will probably heavy with kids / dogs

how big is "big yard"? The biggest lots command quite a premium from those shopping for opportunities to tear down a 3 br and replace with something much larger...

If you are not familiar with the drivers for pricing you might be kinda shocked how the relative age and condition is less important to pricing than school attendance boundaries -- some lovely home may be available for well below the range you have in mind that would be ideal for empty nesters that do not need superior schools...

Old 03-07-2010, 06:38 AM

I am living in Oak Park currently and have chosen the Wheaton area for its proximity to the same Metra line as I have family in Oak Park and like this travel option. No, outside of a couple drives out to Wheaton/Glen Ellyn, I am not terribly familiar with the area, but I am beginning to get some geographic familiarity from looking at a multitude of RE listings online.

Quiet is a tough criterion, I know; I guess it means not near major traffic. Big yard would be about .25-.5 acre, I think, and while we don't have kids at home resale value is still important, so I would want to try to avoid an area where resale is relatively difficult. What are the favored areas?

Thanks for responding.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Wheaton had a bit of building boom on the southern end of town a few years back when employment in Naperville sky rocketed, large homes for families were somewhat scarse prior to that. That boom sparked some tear downs in the older core of Wheaton. Obviously if you want to be able to walk things in the core that would be location decision high on you list, but as an empty nester you might have a broader range of homes that would work for you. Some of the older homes that would have been snapped up builders for tear downs might be perfect for your needs.

A similar situation exisits in Glen Ellyn, however the lay out of the actual downtown and surrounding homes has been different enough for long enough that there are probably more quiet streets. The commercial strip in Glen Ellyn stops pretty abruptly at Roosevelt, while in parts of Wheaton things still have the legacy of the business / governmental functions that demanded more thoroughfares / parking. If you are coming from Oak Park this is certainly far quieter, but for folks really seeking a "small" feel GE generally wins out...

As far as resale the school districts / attendance boundaries do tend to be a driver, but as the different schools do not have a particualrly sharp fall off in the core area prices are pretty uniform. As you go the far north edge of either town things do become less desirable, but this would also be rather less convenient for commuting via Metra... Only real plus is that you will probably find bigger yards farther away from the core, as stuff over .25 acre is pretty uncommon within walking distance of the train, and wold command quite a premium.

Crime is very low, and even the areas that do have apartments tend not to have a particularly rowdy reputation -- students at Wheaton College have a pretty strict code of conduct that goes with them even off campus.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM

I appreciate your insight. Thank you!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
There are so lovely areas off of Plamondon/Warrenville Road that have good sized yards, somewhat private, and are close to downtown. The area I'm mentioning is around Chicago Golf Club. Another area where you will find somewhat larger lots is Farnham. There are a variety of home styles from ranches to two stories. This area is close to several forest preserves and Danada shopping. Another area to explore would be off of Wiesbrook road behind Wheaton South High School. There are some lovely homes with larger lots and very scenic. The areas around Aurora Way would fit your needs as well. Happy hunting in Wheaton!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM

15 posts, read 42,980 times
Default Jewell Road, between Pleasant Hill Rd. and Gary Ave.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to add on to an older thread!

I'm looking at a home near Jewell Road, between Pleasant Hill and Gary in Wheaton. It is very nice, but I'm unsure about the area, as the houses are all very "unique" looking.

Any insight on if this is a safe area for a single girl to buy a house would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
That's the old or semi-crappy part of wheaton, but it's by no means an unsafe area.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM

15 posts, read 42,980 times
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs