U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
 
373 posts, read 545,335 times
Reputation: 119

Advertisements

Western Springs has a fantastic bakery (Kirshbaums) and awesome meat market (Caseys). Not a reason to pick one town over the other necessarily, but every time I am in downtown WS, I frequent both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
 
21,779 posts, read 37,349,945 times
Reputation: 10751
I love the smiley face cookies and the story of the Battle of the Bulge survivor that turned em' out but the cakes at Toni Marie's are far more flavorful and attractive than the old school stuff turned out in WS and Prime n' Tender is a more serious meat market than Casey's...

Toni : | : Cakes, Sweets & Pastries of Hinsdale

Prime 'N' Tender Meats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
 
373 posts, read 545,335 times
Reputation: 119
Chet,

I love Kirschbaums just because of the smiley face cookies. They rival ones from the east coast. Now, if only someone could make a good black and white cookies here. Sigh.

Does Prime N Tender have Boars' Head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Hinsdale, IL
92 posts, read 119,473 times
Reputation: 65
For those familiar with the area, perhaps you can answer this question. We're (my wife and 2 young kids) are moving to the Hinsdale/WS area (probably Hinsdale) from the city (I'm avoiding the polarizing thread on the first page re: moving to the dreaded suburbs). There's not a whole lot of inventory coming on the market in either area. We've been told by our real-estate agent to expect more movement on housing stock in late April/early May, because the housing market coincides with the end of the school year. In the city, the housing market picks up a lot earlier (roughly around the Super Bowl and through the beginning of March).

We're kind of at the mercy of the market right now -- we sold our place in Lakeview last December, and are currently renting a SFH (short term) in Lincoln Square. Ideally, we'd be out of our rental by the end of June, but that doesn't seem possible.

One thing that I noticed about Hinsdale is that the recent decline in the housing market hasn't hugely affected the area. People that are selling in Hinsdale are staying in the city and are merely "upgrading" their homes. This means that they can afford to let their places sit without taking an otherwise modest reduction in price -- they simply don't have to move.

The dilemma we're facing is this: we don't want to "settle" (and by settle, you're looking to spend at least $700k for a 4-bedroom house) based on the best available house on the market right now, only to find out that, if we had waited another month or so, we could have had many more options. So, can we expect to see more homes on the market, or is it more of a function of "what you see is what you can expect to get?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
mh7
 
102 posts, read 203,090 times
Reputation: 51
Last year when I was looking for a home, La Grange, Western Springs & Hinsdale seemed largely unaffected by declines in home prices. We saw a lot of houses last year that had been sitting empty for anywhere between 6-12 months & the sellers were simply refusing to lower their price, prefering to sit on the property than to discount it.

Frankly, 700k is low end in Hinsdale, so I'm don't think you'll ever see a really huge number of homes for sale in that range at the same time, certainly not if you are looking for
desirable characteristics (i.e. walking distance to train/downtown, newly remodled, etc).

Realtor.com has 97 listings between 600k & 1M for Hinsdale right now - I'm not really sure how much more selection youre going to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 04:45 PM
 
21,779 posts, read 37,349,945 times
Reputation: 10751
Default Excellent observations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
For those familiar with the area, perhaps you can answer this question. We're (my wife and 2 young kids) are moving to the Hinsdale/WS area (probably Hinsdale) from the city (I'm avoiding the polarizing thread on the first page re: moving to the dreaded suburbs). There's not a whole lot of inventory coming on the market in either area. We've been told by our real-estate agent to expect more movement on housing stock in late April/early May, because the housing market coincides with the end of the school year. In the city, the housing market picks up a lot earlier (roughly around the Super Bowl and through the beginning of March).

We're kind of at the mercy of the market right now -- we sold our place in Lakeview last December, and are currently renting a SFH (short term) in Lincoln Square. Ideally, we'd be out of our rental by the end of June, but that doesn't seem possible.

One thing that I noticed about Hinsdale is that the recent decline in the housing market hasn't hugely affected the area. People that are selling in Hinsdale are staying in the city and are merely "upgrading" their homes. This means that they can afford to let their places sit without taking an otherwise modest reduction in price -- they simply don't have to move.

The dilemma we're facing is this: we don't want to "settle" (and by settle, you're looking to spend at least $700k for a 4-bedroom house) based on the best available house on the market right now, only to find out that, if we had waited another month or so, we could have had many more options. So, can we expect to see more homes on the market, or is it more of a function of "what you see is what you can expect to get?"
The situation you describe is not at all uncommon and frankly it is the NUMBER ONE reason to get on the phone or physically get in front of some of the MANY real estate agents that work Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills pretty much exclusively -- the well priced homes, even when rates are not favorable and inventory is higher than some would prefer, go under contract very quickly.

As you state there is still a significant portion of residents in these towns 'moving up' because they have kids in school and would like a bit larger / newer home without the hassled of remodeling. Thus those who are not "tied in" to the pipeline of available NEW listings have to settle for what gets passed over by the 'locals'.

When you make a phone call or meet face-to-face it really gives a BIG leg up on the competition, as time-wise there will be a bit of surge and even the best agent tends to put the "most likely prospects" better together MUCH easier when they know that you are NOT a "tire kicker" -- you really are in a bit of tricky spot too, as even the most dedicated / fair-minded buyer's agent will get wind of some folks who "might be interested in selling for the right price" which tends to put at a little bit of disadvantage when sounding out the best values... That said there are some well priced homes currently on the market in your price range and I anticipate a few more coming to market before summer vacation starts, after the initial weeks of "new inventory" set some new price levels there will be some folks that take steps to reflect whatever direction is shown by current prices, which will be influenced by new mortgage rates too.

Obviously the "fair market value" of home in a desirable area is going to be much higher that an equivalent size / age home in a less attractive area, but if you come in fully aware of what has sold and how long it sat on the market no agent is going to try to BS you.

Don't waste ANY TIME, as now that Spring Break is wrapping up the majority of folks that are certain they will be leaving the area have almost certainly scouted out their new home. This is a VERY busy time of year and with the expiring buyers credits many agents are really working overtime to get the deals done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Hinsdale, IL
92 posts, read 119,473 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The situation you describe is not at all uncommon and frankly it is the NUMBER ONE reason to get on the phone or physically get in front of some of the MANY real estate agents that work Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills pretty much exclusively -- the well priced homes, even when rates are not favorable and inventory is higher than some would prefer, go under contract very quickly.

As you state there is still a significant portion of residents in these towns 'moving up' because they have kids in school and would like a bit larger / newer home without the hassled of remodeling. Thus those who are not "tied in" to the pipeline of available NEW listings have to settle for what gets passed over by the 'locals'.

When you make a phone call or meet face-to-face it really gives a BIG leg up on the competition, as time-wise there will be a bit of surge and even the best agent tends to put the "most likely prospects" better together MUCH easier when they know that you are NOT a "tire kicker" -- you really are in a bit of tricky spot too, as even the most dedicated / fair-minded buyer's agent will get wind of some folks who "might be interested in selling for the right price" which tends to put at a little bit of disadvantage when sounding out the best values... That said there are some well priced homes currently on the market in your price range and I anticipate a few more coming to market before summer vacation starts, after the initial weeks of "new inventory" set some new price levels there will be some folks that take steps to reflect whatever direction is shown by current prices, which will be influenced by new mortgage rates too.

Obviously the "fair market value" of home in a desirable area is going to be much higher that an equivalent size / age home in a less attractive area, but if you come in fully aware of what has sold and how long it sat on the market no agent is going to try to BS you.

Don't waste ANY TIME, as now that Spring Break is wrapping up the majority of folks that are certain they will be leaving the area have almost certainly scouted out their new home. This is a VERY busy time of year and with the expiring buyers credits many agents are really working overtime to get the deals done...
Excellent. We call the agent with whom were are working "Mayor McCheese," as he seemingly knows every individual in the entire town. In fact, he's known 90% of the sellers of the homes that we've been through. You're right, getting tied into the pipeline is a must.

Fortunately, our budget is right around $850k, which still should get us a pretty decent house near the train and near Madison Elementary. Interestingly, though, most of the homes that have come on the market in the past 2-3 weeks have all been in Western Springs and LaGrange -- very few in Hinsdale. Hopefully it will pick up in the next 3-4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Winnetka, IL & Rolling Hills, CA
1,273 posts, read 2,796,271 times
Reputation: 537
Are you working with Bryan Bomba? If so he is a very nice guy, but very busy.

Your price bracket is very competitive in Hinsdale because those properties are considered "starter homes." There naturally isn't a large selection of homes in that range in Hinsdale because you typically have teardowns around $325k to $600k and then the new construction at $1 million+. What is in your range is typically older homes which are basically improved and expanded teardowns. Seldomly you will find a home built in the 80's or 90's that is near $800k or $900k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
 
10,706 posts, read 18,318,665 times
Reputation: 3598
Chet Everett must work for the Clarendon Hills Chamber of Commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Hinsdale, IL
92 posts, read 119,473 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Are you working with Bryan Bomba? If so he is a very nice guy, but very busy.

Your price bracket is very competitive in Hinsdale because those properties are considered "starter homes." There naturally isn't a large selection of homes in that range in Hinsdale because you typically have teardowns around $325k to $600k and then the new construction at $1 million+. What is in your range is typically older homes which are basically improved and expanded teardowns. Seldomly you will find a home built in the 80's or 90's that is near $800k or $900k.
This is very true. The homes in our price range on the market are usually remodeled older homes, some with 3 bedrooms with the option to put in another bedroom in the basement. We're going in with the understanding that we may very well settle with a more affordable home today and eventually "upgrade" in 5 years or so. But the thought of upgrading after having already spent $850k was so foreign to me just a few years ago. Then again, I never truly understood that Hinsdale was on price par with Kennilworth, Lake Forest, and Winnetka until we started our home search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top