Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM

110 posts, read 277,791 times

Advertisements

All's well that ends well. We waited (not really by choice but by necessity) for some homes that were initially listed well north of something we could afford (that were, frankly, overpriced) and got a great home in northern Hinsdale (Monroe School District). We toured it about 2 months ago and decided that the only way we would make a move is if we could get it at a specific price (which was well below the asking price when we toured it). By a stroke of serendipity, our price range completely dried up at the beginning of May (I'm not sure to what I attribute it -- it couldn't have been the home owners credit because, presumably, people buying in our price range wouldn't qualify for the credit). Therefore, the homes that we liked before but were otherwise too expensive all of sudden began dropping rapidly in price.

So now my wife is happy, which is the most important thing for my sanity.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Congrats! I think patience is often rewarded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post
All's well that ends well. We waited (not really by choice but by necessity) for some homes that were initially listed well north of something we could afford (that were, frankly, overpriced) and got a great home in northern Hinsdale (Monroe School District). We toured it about 2 months ago and decided that the only way we would make a move is if we could get it at a specific price (which was well below the asking price when we toured it). By a stroke of serendipity, our price range completely dried up at the beginning of May (I'm not sure to what I attribute it -- it couldn't have been the home owners credit because, presumably, people buying in our price range wouldn't qualify for the credit). Therefore, the homes that we liked before but were otherwise too expensive all of sudden began dropping rapidly in price.

That is all.
I will almost guarantee that the offer you made and was accepted was not all that different from some other other that came in WHILE THE PRICE WAS STILL LISTED AT TOO HIGH A PRICE -- I have this happen time and time again and the folks that insist on making low ball offers really don't seem to understand why I maintain that such offers generally just soften up the sellers to make a reduction and eventually sale to some one that "keeps their cards close to the vest". Sellers have an almost visceral reaction to most low ball offers that simply does not happen when they eventually decide to bring their asking price inline with reality...

Enjoy the neighborhood!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM

110 posts, read 277,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I will almost guarantee that the offer you made and was accepted was not all that different from some other other that came in WHILE THE PRICE WAS STILL LISTED AT TOO HIGH A PRICE -- I have this happen time and time again and the folks that insist on making low ball offers really don't seem to understand why I maintain that such offers generally just soften up the sellers to make a reduction and eventually sale to some one that "keeps their cards close to the vest". Sellers have an almost visceral reaction to most low ball offers that simply does not happen when they eventually decide to bring their asking price inline with reality...

Enjoy the neighborhood!
We actually considered making the offer that we made 2 months ago. But we knew that there was no way we could negotiate to the price at which we actually ultimately arrived. And there was no way that we could come back after a price drop because the sellers would have soured on us. So we waited until after a price drop, which was the best thing we did.

Thank you kind sir. And your advice was most appreciated.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:57 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_H_2 View Post

That is all.
You made a great choice. We have been very happy in Monroe. Best of luck.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
Default hinsdale climate`

Hi Erin,
I think that Hinsdale is quite a bit different than many affluent communities. While I am sure that there is diversity in attitudes among residents, I know that the culture of much of this community is the epitome of "keeping up with the Jones's". Hinsdale Central High School is a good school, but kids really take a social & academic beating just when they are working developmentally on becoming individuals. There is zero diversity of any kind. The suburbs of Chicago offer so many areas where culture, affluence, great schools, and quality of life converge, that I would seriously try to dissuade anyone from taking on the hollow and elitist, parochial b.s. of Hinsdale. On the other hand, what do I know? Quality of life is different for everyone. Best wishes in finding the right home for your family.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 588swain View Post
The suburbs of Chicago offer so many areas where culture, affluence, great schools, and quality of life converge...
Any suggestions?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,816 times
Hinsdale and only Hinsdale.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,412 times
Western Springs is the Middle way between La Grange and Hinsdale. Keep in mind that the beautiful subdivision Springdale in Western Springs has the Highlands Schools which are top-tier.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 16,177 times
The whole snobby argument is supremely relevant here. I remember 10 years ago when I was in LTHS - a very good school that is fed by mostly upper middle class people - Hinsdale Central high school had a spirit day for an upcoming football match with us where they brought baby dolls to school and wore trash bags... To their way of thinking, we were poor.

To most people, I think La Grange is pretty well off.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Another old thread resurrected for no apparent reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs