Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 PM

82 posts, read 255,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Wrong with parents paying more for the security of their kids. No. Should I?

Dechee: we're having a different conversation -- click back a page or two.
That's my point.

If you have African American's who are def middle class who moved into Homewood, Flossmoor, and Olympia Fields in hopes of providing their children with a better education and chance at life as well.

But, now some of the neighbors are taken it like... and are moving or sending their children to private schools due to the influx of minorities in the school.

THATS THE PROBLEM I HAVE...I have seen it time and time again. My own mother who is WHITE hears these conversations and it hurts her feelings. Because, we're biracial and she knows the truth. There are people who do not want their children tainted. She's told us time and time again that she refuses to move. She thinks its stupid because, the neighborhood hasn't change and several of her girlfriends have moved from Homewood to Orland Park, and Monee. Clearly........they are moving to these "Lily," towns for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
If you are saying that white flight is a problem, I certainly agree. If you are saying there is absolutely no valid justification for it .. I don't see it that way. I think it is a mixture of rational thought processes with a degree of fear born in some cases out of false stereotypes and wildly exaggerated notions of what blacks are like. I don't "agree" with it, but I have no right to be on a high horse judging anybody for the fears that cause them to leave. They are not completely without justification, even if they are self-fulfilling.

Pokerplayer has made a good point on this forum, though -- one that I have witnessed first hand many times. Many successful, earnest, hard working, middle class blacks aren't too far removed from the ghetto lifestyle. In Woodlawn we have good neighbors who have the most unsavory relatives. I dread the holiday bbq in the courtyard, am sure not to be around that weekend.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
If you are saying that white flight is a problem, I certainly agree. If you are saying there is absolutely no valid justification for it .. I don't see it that way. I think it is a mixture of rational thought processes with a degree of fear born in some cases out of false stereotypes and wildly exaggerated notions of what blacks are like. I don't "agree" with it, but I have no right to be on a high horse judging anybody for the fears that cause them to leave. They are not completely without justification, even if they are self-fulfilling.
I didn't judge. I said it's not right and there is a problem with that...I am a product of BOTH worlds.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Not sure how old you are, but when you actually borrow and lay down the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a property ... it changes you. For many people dramatic depreciation brought on by blight is the difference between a comfortable retirement and working at 7-11 till age 80. Call them paranoid, but better that than the last idiot standing in the new Englewood. In many ways, you HAVE to play it safe.

I have to be honest that some of my willingness to live on the fringes comes from having huge equity in my properties. If they went to zero, it would suck, but it wouldn't change my retirement date. I have no right to judge anyone in a tougher position.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
when you actually borrow and lay down the hundreds of thousands of dollars for a property ... it changes you.
This is true. I understand this completely. I just don't get why they can't attempt to stern up the rules some. There has to be a way to "protect," your community to some degree. Especially, in the burbs - more land to do so...

Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 PM

who is "they"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post
This is true. I understand this completely. I just don't get why they can't attempt to stern up the rules some. There has to be a way to "protect," your community to some degree. Especially, in the burbs - more land to do so...

Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Wrong with parents paying more for the security of their kids. No. Should I?

Dechee: we're having a different conversation -- click back a page or two.
Oh, lol, now I feel stupid.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:31 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
I assume by "they" you mean the ruling class, those who pay taxes vs those who are net beneficiaries of tax dollars, which is most of the working poor and welfare class.

Buppies don't want to live around ghetto blacks anymore than white yuppies.

Most blacks I work with HATE hip hop ghetto culture and do everything they can to prevent their kids from acting and dressing like clowns.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM

151 posts, read 413,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
.......and?
And it shows that there just aren't that many white families with children in that area anymore, for whatever reason. Also that black families are starting to avoid the public schools around there as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belowground View Post
country club hills, hazel crest....not that they are horrible, just lower income and different from Homewood/Flossmoor. I agree that you are going to find nicer towns next to lower income towns all around the suburbs, so it's not as big of a deal to me. She likes Crete because it is surrounded by country.
What is lower income to you? When I think of lower income, I think of anything below 40K and that might be pushing it. Country Club Hills median income is close to 70K (up from 57K in 2000) and Hazel Crest's is around 60K (50k in 2000) and Glenwood is close to 65k (53K in 2000).

If that's low income, you must have some very high standards. I'm asuming you make well over 6 figures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs