U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:24 AM

36 posts, read 168,711 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
When I was out visiting the area to look around for housing due to my husbands transfer, we came across Fox Mill. The area was beautiful, and we liked the neighborhoods. It does seem a little far west, and we weren't traveling around during rush hour times. What is traffic like getting into St. Charles/Geneva? Also, it was mentioned that Fox Mill might be getting redistricted to another area. What can you tell me about that and would it be a bad thing? Any help is appreciated! THANKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Fox Mill.... IM having a hard time remembering where that is. There are so many places named after Fox (its the Fox River Valley afterall LOL) that I even get confused. Is that off of Rt. 64, about 2-3 miles west of Randall? If Im thinking correctly that might be it. Its either that neighborhood or the one behind Delnor Hospital. Let me know.... My brain isnt working yet, LOL.

As for traffic, St. Charles gets really bad, especially between 5:00 and 6:30, westbound on Rt. 64. The problem is that there are no turn lanes on Rt. 64, plus the surplus of stoplights downtown that back up the traffic from downtown all the way to Charlestown Mall sometimes. Once you get past downtown its fine, its just the route into downtown that is sloooooowwwww. I know the area, so I bypass it and sneak around through neighborhoods and cut 15 minutes off my commute time. Geneva is not nearly as bad, which is strange because its almost the exact same thing as St. Charles. Just be warned of the construction on Randall Rd in St. Charles and on Kirk Rd (at 38 intersection) in Geneva, itll be backed up until theyre done.

As for Fox Mill getting redistricted, I dont have a clue. Sorry!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 168,711 times
Thanks for the info. Fox Mill is near Rte. 64 and La Fox/Burlington Rd. It is almost heading towards Wasco.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Hmm, I used to live right on the St. Charles/Geneva border near Randall and worked on the St. Charles/West Chicago border. And I found the commute through St. Charles to be quicker because, yes they do have several turn lanes through the downtown area, certainly more than Geneva does. Downtown St. Charles also has three bridges across the river instead of just the one in downtown Geneva. The main issue is trying to move hundreds of thousands of people across the river on just a handful of bridges; and that's a problem from Aurora all the way to Elgin.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hmm, I used to live right on the St. Charles/Geneva border near Randall and worked on the St. Charles/West Chicago border. And I found the commute through St. Charles to be quicker because, yes they do have several turn lanes through the downtown area, certainly more than Geneva does. Downtown St. Charles also has three bridges across the river instead of just the one in downtown Geneva. The main issue is trying to move hundreds of thousands of people across the river on just a handful of bridges; and that's a problem from Aurora all the way to Elgin.
Trust me, Geneva is ALOT quicker than St. Charles. When I lived in Sycamore I got so sick and tired of St. Charles that I decided to take Rt. 38 instead. I got home over 10 minutes sooner, the next day almost 15 minutes. I thought it was a fluke but it wasnt, Geneva is alot quicker. Try and go down Rt. 64 at rush hour, sometimes its so bad that its backed up to Pheasant Run Resort. Screw that. I got in the habit of jumpin on Kautz and shooting over to Illinois and taking that backroads through St. Charles all the way to Randall. However, if you take 38 through Geneva, you risk the stupid train tracks near DuPage Airport, which can easily knock off the 10 minutes you just tried to save yourself. LOL

And there are indeed turn lanes in St. Charles, but only once you cross 25. There are no turn lanes between Dunham and 25, except on Tyler, so all those people trying to go to dinner, or car dealers, or home, have to sit in the left lane forever, waiting for cars to go by, all the while backing up traffic to kingdom come.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
I did the drive from Pheasant Run to 38/Randall five days a week for three years. St. Charles was invariably quicker. I don't know what to tell you about why your experience was different from mine.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
Is Fox Mill in Campton Hills? I know that they just voted to become it's own vilage out there and I am not sure if Fox Mill is included in that. That may affect things in the future.
I do know that people on wells in the far west are having problems with wells running dry, etc. Because of (of course!) all the high development out there. I don't know if this issue will affect fox mill either.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I did the drive from Pheasant Run to 38/Randall five days a week for three years. St. Charles was invariably quicker. I don't know what to tell you about why your experience was different from mine.

Bizarre.

Did you mean Pheasant Run to Randall? I think you did, and if thats the case, how long ago did you do that? I never had a problem with St. Charles' traffic up until a year or so ago, it just started getting pretty bad, and I dont know whyl.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:27 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
Traffic on north avenue through St. Charles has always been pretty bad. Worse now because they are working on various bridges and doing a downtown revitalization.

For a while though, it was just that the lights were timed real stupid. Then it got better, now bad again until the construction is done.

Although I find going through Geneva on 38 to be bad at rush hour as well.

And neither are as bad as anything I encountered while living in the city!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Traffic on north avenue through St. Charles has always been pretty bad. Worse now because they are working on various bridges and doing a downtown revitalization.

For a while though, it was just that the lights were timed real stupid. Then it got better, now bad again until the construction is done.

Although I find going through Geneva on 38 to be bad at rush hour as well.

And neither are as bad as anything I encountered while living in the city!

Oh, thats right! DUH! I totally forgot about the bridges south of 64 were under construction. That makes sense. LOL

Geneva is great, traffic hardly ever stands still. Just make sure once you get downtown (when heading westbound) that you stay in the right lane, or else youll get jammed behind all the people turning left on 3rd (no turn arrow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or