Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 PM

119 posts, read 881,076 times

Advertisements

Woodridge is also a good option to move to. Its about 10-12 miles from Aurora. Woodridge is east of Lisle and and Naperville. Woodridge is served by good schools in several school Districts depending on where you choose to live. It shares the Greene Valley Forest Preserve with Lisle and Naperville.

Woodridge is served by the North-South Tollway(I-355) within it borders and the Stevenson Expy (I-55)via Lemont Rd in the Village of Darien to the south and east. Shopping malls near by include The Promenade Bolingbrook and Oak Brook Court malls. By the way here's web site:Welcome to the Village of Woodridge

I hope that this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 PM

20 posts, read 78,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgclyde View Post
Woodridge is also a good option to move to. Its about 10-12 miles from Aurora. Woodridge is east of Lisle and and Naperville. Woodridge is served by good schools in several school Districts depending on where you choose to live. It shares the Greene Valley Forest Preserve with Lisle and Naperville.

Woodridge is served by the North-South Tollway(I-355) within it borders and the Stevenson Expy (I-55)via Lemont Rd in the Village of Darien to the south and east. Shopping malls near by include The Promenade Bolingbrook and Oak Brook Court malls. By the way here's web site:Welcome to the Village of Woodridge

I hope that this helps.
If my fiance and I got jobs in Chicago, how long do you think it would take by Metra train to get there? Are there Metra stops in Woodridge? How would we do on a combined income of about 60K-70K? Thanks for the info

Old 07-22-2007, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 20,538 times
Default Lakewood Valley in Aurora, Illinois

We are considering looking at some newer homes in Lakewood Valley, Aurora. Any one has any knowledge or experience of living in this community? Would appreciate any comments/suggestions/recommendations. Many thanks.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,732 times
My wife and I were looking at places to live near Chicago and we found that Woodridge and Darien are very nice areas. Because we are from out of state and were looking in southwest suburbs, I talked to a Boilingbrook police officer in the parking lot of a Meijer store and asked him what was a good area. He told me that West boilingbrook was nice, good schools. Woodridge was good but taxes were kind of high. We looked at homes in Darien, right outside of Woodridge, and the neighborhood was really nice. Like we did, if you can, take a ride out to the subs and look around. We heard and saw that Naperville was nice, but until they get construction complete on the toll way that runs into the City, your drive will at least be an hour. Hope this helps. It has been a few weeks since we have been in these areas so if something has changed, I can't amagine anything has changed that quick, please correct me.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Tell me about Sugar Grove around the Community College. I'm thinking of moving there when I am ready to move to Chicago.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM

61 posts, read 301,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Tell me about Sugar Grove around the Community College. I'm thinking of moving there when I am ready to move to Chicago.
Sugar Grove is a small town, decent area. I went to Waubonsee Community College and it's a really great small(ish) school.
If you move to the area, I would suggest staying away from downtown Aurora (the WEST side of Aurora is quite nice, but mainly all single family homes that are about 300K and up).
You would probably be best going about 9 miles south of Sugar Grove to Yorkville, IL. It's a small(ish) town, with decent shopping, theatre, a few more things to do. And still very affordable to live (especially rent). I grew up in Yorkville and drove to Waubonsee - it's about 15 minutes tops, relatively no traffic, easy commute.

Just be careful and stay away from downtown Aurora.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 AM

34 posts, read 39,653 times
Geneva, Naperville, Aurora-- 100's of home to choose from

Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 17,996 times
I love Woodridge. Been living here nearly four years.

Metra train stops at Lisle and Belmont (both very close to Woodridge). Train ride is about a half hour.

We checked out Darien...not very kid friendly. Very few public schools, and taxes/houses kind of expensive. Schools can't get funding because a lot of the residents have grown kids...lots of school activities being cut at the moment because no one will vote for a tax referendum.

My friend moved there last year as a single parent with an 11 year old. She's very sorry she did.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 AM

61 posts, read 301,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad View Post
My fiance doesn't think that Aurora is safe.
There are parts of Aurora that are safe, like the west side. All along Orchard Rd up to Randall has been built up quite a bit in the past 5+ years and it's a nice area now. Not too many apartment complexes on that side of town though, it's mostly SFHs, but if you can find a rental in that area, you will be safe.

You could try out North Aurora too, it has also been built up slightly and is decent. I know there are some apartment complexes in NA that are pretty nice also.

I don't have any advice on Woodridge, but there are plenty of nice areas south and even west of Aurora that you could afford easily.
I would suggest Oswego, Elburn or Yorkville. You won't find anything in your price range in Naperville (and probably not in Geneva, St Charles, Wheaton or Batavia either sadly - they are real pricey).

Good Luck!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
Parts of Aurora are fine. Plainfield is a good option. Lisle, Warrenville and Woodridge may be too but you'd have to rent or live in a townhome or condo. Look into Downers Grove too. Nice town, decent sized suburb, 2 Metra stations to take you into the city, etc. I work in the area and many people that I work with live in Aurora and they say the commute there isn't bad at all to Downers Grove on I88 - even during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs