Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 AM

313 posts, read 596,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There was a Tribune article about that a few years ago. The article was about how suburbs across the nation have been getting increasingly Democratic in recent years as the younger generation moves in to raise families, but it specifically used Park Ridge as an example. Apparently Hillary Clinton was involved in the Young Republicans in her Park Ridge youth. The PR was a bastion of Republicanism, but has switched over.
Winnetka/Northfield, a top 6 zip code for donations to Republicans as recently as 2004 (and maybe 2006) is now giving more in campaign contributions to Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 AM

25 posts, read 80,483 times
Oak Park, all the way, and just get used to driving (hopefully you have an iPod with plenty of tunes!). But you're from CA so you shouldn't have any problem with commuting right?

Oak Park & Evanston are definitely the "Berkeley Areas" of Chicagoland: great farmers markets, great CSA, great 'vibe', very walking friendly, dogs hanging out at the cafes with their owners, lots of kids everywhere, cute historic downtown with tons of interesting restaurants, shops and boutiques, bookstores a plenty, gorgeous architecture everywhere you go, the most recycling friendly city in all of Chicagoland (hands down), lots of train/el/bike paths, etc.

In short: a safe leafy suburb where cool people with BRAINS live - and only 20 mins to downtown Chi by train - that was what attracted us to the area.

My partner and I have lived in OP 4 years and love it; we've lived everywhere including Los Angeles ("Hell A") and can tell you quite honestly there is NO place like the OP in Chi-town.

Come for a visit on a Saturday Morning - drive around town and especially WALK through the downtown, get some coffee at Red Hen Bakery on Lake Street & Oak Park Ave. Take a stroll down Lake St toward Harlem Ave. Check out the Sat morning farmers market on Lake & Ridgeland.

Then do the exact same in someplace like Park Ridge. Right away you will "feel" and "see" the difference, trust me.

Hope thats helpful.

Best of luck on your move! -Kelly

Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM

25 posts, read 80,483 times
[quote=Tex?Il?;13823515]I agree with just about all you said. I love La Grange. Although, like Lookout said, I wouldn't say its "very liberal." Probably more middle of the road. Culturally I'd say its half way between Oak Park, and the further out DuPage suburbs.

I have to agree. La Grange IS pretty! I like their Trader Joes, which for the longest time was the only one around. But I've spent a good amount of time there and have yet to sense anything "liberal" about it, myself. I would say if anything, it feels pretty Repub to me.

But I'm from Oak Park so I have pretty high standards for what liberal looks and feels like

Best of luck on the move!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
One thing to keep in mind about Oak Park is that Oak Park River Forest High School seemingly has a bit of a drug problem. I'm not sure how drug use there compares to other area schools, but a parents group at the school seems to think it's a major issue. The comments on this article are interesting.

Denied:1up! Software ()

Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirl2000 View Post
Oak Park, all the way, and just get used to driving (hopefully you have an iPod with plenty of tunes!). But you're from CA so you shouldn't have any problem with commuting right?

Oak Park & Evanston are definitely the "Berkeley Areas" of Chicagoland: great farmers markets, great CSA, great 'vibe', very walking friendly, dogs hanging out at the cafes with their owners, lots of kids everywhere, cute historic downtown with tons of interesting restaurants, shops and boutiques, bookstores a plenty, gorgeous architecture everywhere you go, the most recycling friendly city in all of Chicagoland (hands down), lots of train/el/bike paths, etc.

In short: a safe leafy suburb where cool people with BRAINS live - and only 20 mins to downtown Chi by train - that was what attracted us to the area.

My partner and I have lived in OP 4 years and love it; we've lived everywhere including Los Angeles ("Hell A") and can tell you quite honestly there is NO place like the OP in Chi-town.

Come for a visit on a Saturday Morning - drive around town and especially WALK through the downtown, get some coffee at Red Hen Bakery on Lake Street & Oak Park Ave. Take a stroll down Lake St toward Harlem Ave. Check out the Sat morning farmers market on Lake & Ridgeland.

Then do the exact same in someplace like Park Ridge. Right away you will "feel" and "see" the difference, trust me.

Hope thats helpful.

You make it sound as if Park Ridge is ultra Conservative and very spread out.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 21,609 times
LaGrange Park hands down! Has a hip trendy feel to it, especially on LaGrange/45. There's a metra station right there with adequate parking. There's a lot of young folks living there and it has a very active nightlife.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM

73 posts, read 163,562 times
Quote:
I have to agree. La Grange IS pretty! I like their Trader Joes, which for the longest time was the only one around. But I've spent a good amount of time there and have yet to sense anything "liberal" about it, myself. I would say if anything, it feels pretty Repub to me.

But I'm from Oak Park so I have pretty high standards for what liberal looks and feels like

Best of luck on the move!
Thank you for the qualification at the end. Seriously, I think La Grange is a pretty politically mixed city, but I would not classify it as a "repub" city. I lean left politically and have never felt out of place here.

You know, I have some friends from Oak Park who are staunch Republicans. Should I give them their address so you can run them out of town?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:

Hope thats helpful.

I have to agree. Oak Park is truly special. There almost something "Zen" about it.

I was restless and felt out of place living in suburbs like Mount Prospect and Buffalo Grove (where I lived for the past 2 and 1 yr respectively). I was looking to move to various other parts of the country (mostly Madison or Austin) because I just didn't like other parts of Chicagoland I lived and worked in. But no longer, now that I live in Oak Park.

Although I'm personally only a touch left of center, I wouldn't necessarily mind living in a community that felt a bit more conservative. What got to me, were people who lived in "drive everywhere, chain-dominated suburbs", yet suggested that their suburban communities were bastions of cosmopolitan sophistication compared to the rest of the midwest for the simple that they are suburbs of Chicago and not another midwestern city.

Theres little difference between Overland Park, KS and Hoffman Estates, IL

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Theres little difference between Overland Park, KS and Hoffman Estates, IL
And about a hundred thousand other suburbs nationwide. Though the ones in the southwest have more stucco and spanish mission influences.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
I live in Oak Park and I am fairly conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs