Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM

320 posts, read 717,774 times

Advertisements

I've been working in Harvey, IL for sometime now and every year I see more and more Arabs/Middle Easterners moving out here. I even see their kids waiting on the school bus in the morning. Not that I a have a problem with it, but I am a little curious on why they choose to live Harvey, since most of them tend to move Southwest Cook county and on the Northside. I've also notice a lot more hispanics too, but it's a little uncommon to see Arabs (or Middle Easterners) moving into poor Black communities. I know they own a lot of stores in Harvey as they do in most poor Black neighborhoods, but I never thought they would actually consider moving there and sending their kids to the local public schools.

I just find this interesting and I wonder what you all thoughts are about that?

Last edited by linicx; 12-21-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
I've been working in Harvey, IL for sometime now and every year I see more and more Arabs/Middle Easterners moving out here. I even see their kids waiting on the school bus in the morning. Not that I a have a problem with it, but I am a little curious on why they choose to live Harvey, since most of them tend to move Southwest Cook county and on the Northside. I've also notice a lot more hispanics too, but it's a little uncommon to see Arabs (or Middle Easterners) moving into poor Black communities. I know they own a lot of stores in Harvey as they do in most poor Black neighborhoods, but I never thought they would actually consider moving there and sending their kids to the local public schools.

I have not been to Harvey in a while, but if this influx is really happening, then Harvey can only improve from where it is now. IMHO, their cultural and economic presence in a place like Harvey should be welcomed...however, I do not live there so maybe someone who does can chime in with their viewpoint?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post

I guess they choose to live in Harvey because its very cheap here.

I live in Harvey(born and raised), and I admit it is a bit surprising to see South Asians in a poor predominately black area like this. In a way, Harvey is unique in that aspect. When I was going to Thornton High School, there were no Asian students my freshmen year. About time I graduated in 2008, there were over 20 Asian students enrolled. TTHS was 1.3% Asian in 2009. Whittier Elementary reached 6.8% Asian in 2007. Harvey racial/ethnic breakdown is about 75-79% black, 15% Hispanic(almost all Mexican), 4-6% non hispanic white, and 2% Asian(roughly 600 people). The Asians here are Indians and muslim Pakistanis. They are concentrated between 152nd & Broadway Ave. and the local high school campus a block down. 99% of the families who live on 152nd & Broadway are South Asian muslim. They built an Islamic center at the corner of Broadway on the same block. Close knit and I don't see anyone harassing them.

There are about 4,000 Mexicans/latino residents in Harvey. A lot of them are located on the far southeast side(1st ward) of Harvey between the viaduct and South Holland's western border. My 7 yrs old nephew goes to Holmes elementary over there and student enrollment is now 2/3rds Hispanic(Mexicans).
Interactive Illinois Report Card

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 04-23-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 PM

OOH? OK. I figured they weren't Arab, but I couldn't precisely pinpoint their nationality so I just made an assumption. Anyway, I notice that they even have a Islamic Center (or Mosque?) on their block. Another interested thing I saw a few days ago was an entire South Asian family all sitting on the porch of a boarded-up house as if they either lived there or plan to in the future. Anyway, it looks like their in Harvey to stay. It's definitely a plus for Harvey. Well, you can't say Harvey's not diverse.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
This is a very interesting topic, if you think about it though it might not be as odd as it looks on the surface. There are plenty of African American Muslims around, and perhaps some poorer Middle Eastern migrants look to Harvey as a cheap alternative to say Palos Park or Orland Park. I don't live in Harvey but from what I gather there is probably tolerance for these new ethenic groups, and if that is the case then Harvey is starting to do better.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
This is a very interesting topic, if you think about it though it might not be as odd as it looks on the surface. There are plenty of African American Muslims around, and perhaps some poorer Middle Eastern migrants look to Harvey as a cheap alternative to say Palos Park or Orland Park. I don't live in Harvey but from what I gather there is probably tolerance for these new ethenic groups, and if that is the case then Harvey is starting to do better.
There seems to be a strong tolerance for them. I always see their kids waiting on the school bus along with the other kids in the neighborhood. From what I see they seem to blend in well with them. And yes there is a strong African American Muslim presence out there. In fact, there's a mosque on Sibley and Myrtle. The Nation of Islam has one on 154th and center and they're always on Halsted and Sibley selling Final Call Newspapers. Plus, Louise Farakahn has a honorary street, I think, on Center. However, I don't think there's no connection b/w them and these new Mulsim residents. If there was any connection, then they would not have built their own mosque. Instead, they would have went to the mosques that were already their. It just seems like they're more independent and live in their own little world. I don't even think they have any affiliation with the Muslim retailers (I think they are Muslims). I don't know, but it is interesting.

Last edited by suburban_boy; 04-24-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM

I do wonder what they do for a living b/c most of their houses are pretty nice. In fact the blocks they live on are some of the nicest in that neighborhood. I find it fascinating that even under the most harshest of conditions (the ghetto) certain people can still carve out an oasis. Ironically, when one looks at Islamic and pre-Islamic culture, no matter how harsh the environment may be (in there case, a dessert), there's always an oasis. An oasis is the equivalent to paradise. Islamic civilizations in the past has always been modeled their cities on this concept alone. During the middle ages, these cities were said to be some of the most beautiful in the world (Bagdad, Damascus, Cordaba and Cairo). I congratulate these brothers and sisters for somewhat carrying on this principle. Hopefully, it can spread out to the rest of the city.

Last edited by suburban_boy; 04-24-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
suburban_boy;13886073] The Nation of Islam has one on 154th and center and they're always on Halsted and Sibley selling Final Call Newspapers. Plus, Louise Farakahn has a honorary street, I think, on Center. However, I don't think there's no connection b/w them and these new Mulsim residents. If there was any connection, then they would not have built their own mosque.
The Nation of Islam is not considered a true Muslim branch by many. NOI focus alot on Black nationalism and separatism. Historically, they considered white people as creations from a mad black scientist named Yacub and often see white people as blue-eyed white devils. I don't know if most still believed that though.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Although he chooses to rap about the west side of Chicago for whatever reason, Lupe Fiasco was born and raised in Harvey, Illinois. He's Islamic. He isn't Asian or Arab though. :-X

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
re arabs and mideastern people, i was there in the 1950's, but i snuck in and you did not see me. i lived behind the shell station next to the helicopter pad.
eisenhower was president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs