Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times

Advertisements

Parts of Elgin, Streamwood, Carpentersville are semi-bad, thats about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh2010 View Post
People refer to Naperville as NW burbs...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I agree. And Arizona is a northwestern state

Anyways, honestly, for all the talk of Elgin and Carpentersville, from what I can tell, at least Elgin (I don't know Carpentersville as well) has been cleaned up quite a bit, and is making a bit of a "comeback." They got a pretty new library, and overall it has a lot of potential because of its unique downtown, something that other NW burbs lack.

I would say Rolling Meadows, is slightly nicer than Wheeling (the part of Rolling Meadows west of 53 is actually very nice). Theres just something a bit depressing about Wheeling.

Like others said, further west Hanover Park and Addison have run-down apartment complexes.

IMO, any suburb whose draw was solely affordable houses, yet still accessible to a lot, don't really have much going for them, and are likely to slide downhill. Places like Wheeling, Hanover Park, and Addison can all fit in this category.

Also, you can throw in the NE corner of Palatine between Dundee and Lake Cook Rd. and Rand and 53.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
The schools have rotten test scores in Elgin. That will hamper any "comeback".

I second what's been said about Carpentersville, and parts of Streamwood, Addison, etc.

There are parts of Des Plaines and Morton Grove that are a bit trashy and unappealing, but they are certainly not dangerous by any stretch of the word. And I get a sense that a few parts of Hoffman Estates are getting worse... but again, not really dangerous. Basically any area with cheap apartments has potential for crime and gangs in Chicagoland, and most suburbs have at least a few areas like this.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I agree. And Arizona is a northwestern state

Anyways, honestly, for all the talk of Elgin and Carpentersville, from what I can tell, at least Elgin (I don't know Carpentersville as well) has been cleaned up quite a bit, and is making a bit of a "comeback." They got a pretty new library, and overall it has a lot of potential because of its unique downtown, something that other NW burbs lack.

I would say Rolling Meadows, is slightly nicer than Wheeling (the part of Rolling Meadows west of 53 is actually very nice). Theres just something a bit depressing about Wheeling.

Like others said, further west Hanover Park and Addison have run-down apartment complexes.

IMO, any suburb whose draw was solely affordable houses, yet still accessible to a lot, don't really have much going for them, and are likely to slide downhill. Places like Wheeling, Hanover Park, and Addison can all fit in this category.

Also, you can throw in the NE corner of Palatine between Dundee and Lake Cook Rd. and Rand and 53.
Oh yah, the beautiful, well kept homes I see in many Wheeling neighborhoods are so depressing. The neighborhood bordered by 83 Hintz and Sherwood lane is quite nice. The neighborhoods north of Hintz east and west of Schoenbeck- quite nice. The neighborhood north of Dundee off Armand, quite nice. Arlington Club, quite nice. Sure there are a few pockets I would not live in or near, but overall I do not find Wheeling depressing at all. It is all about perspective. Depressing to me was visiting "Oma" in Humboldt Park around North & Homan in the 70's and 80's and noticing the freshly burnt out apartments and buildings. Wheeling has enough areas of good housing stock to offset the apartment buildings that do not screen out or care about screening out the riff raff.
And the same is true for much of Rolling Meadows. The SFH neighborhoods are decent. The clusters of apartment buildings-many are not. Yet the ENTIRE view is jaded by a small less desirable section

Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM

81 posts, read 327,504 times
Lookout Kid - Where in Hoffman Estates and why?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
There's a few apartment complexes on Lake Cook by 53 that are in unincorporated Cook County that aren't the hottest in town either.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM

38 posts, read 104,462 times
Could use some more info on what you are looking for and what you are trying to avoid. Also, try to narrow down where in the NW burbs you are looking (near or far from the city).

Personally, I didn't like living in Schaumburg due to traffic but it has everything you could want from a shopping and dining perspective.

Bad schools/areas can be found in nearly every suburb so you just have to pay close attention. I would stay away from Wheeling and Elgin though.

Considering a commute to the city? Make sure you're near a town with a train stop or you'll be in your car for 1 to 1.5 hours each way.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Oh yah, the beautiful, well kept homes I see in many Wheeling neighborhoods are so depressing. The neighborhood bordered by 83 Hintz and Sherwood lane is quite nice. The neighborhoods north of Hintz east and west of Schoenbeck- quite nice. The neighborhood north of Dundee off Armand, quite nice. Arlington Club, quite nice. Sure there are a few pockets I would not live in or near, but overall I do not find Wheeling depressing at all. It is all about perspective. Depressing to me was visiting "Oma" in Humboldt Park around North & Homan in the 70's and 80's and noticing the freshly burnt out apartments and buildings. Wheeling has enough areas of good housing stock to offset the apartment buildings that do not screen out or care about screening out the riff raff.
And the same is true for much of Rolling Meadows. The SFH neighborhoods are decent. The clusters of apartment buildings-many are not. Yet the ENTIRE view is jaded by a small less desirable section
I didn't mean to be harsh about Wheeling at all. I do agree that the SFH areas are fine, while some apartment complexes are not.

What I meant by depressing I think I was referring more to some commercial areas along Dundee and 83. With the exception of restaurant row, the commercial areas of parts of Wheeling just feel dead. They just look like there hasn't been much life and vitality infused into the commercial strips. Thats all I mean by depressing. Rolling Meadows commercial strips look in better condition.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM

216 posts, read 645,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usercity12 View Post
which would you say
What are you trying to avoid?

I live in Elgin, grew up in Carpentersville, work in Streamwood, Hanover Park and other NW burbs....

There is no Heaven on Earth....whatca trying to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs