Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times

Advertisements

How could our property taxes go up by $500 this year? They say our home is worth $10,000 more than it was last year? huh? No way the value went up, sorry I am not buying it...

Ours go up every single year without fail. No wonder people retire away from this state.

Anyone else's go up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
What county are you in? I got reassessed last year which will affect this year's tax bill. My assessment went down, but partly due to the fact that Cook County now assesses property based on 10% of its value instead of 16%. I won't know if my actual tax bill goes up or down until we get the second installment in September or so. I have a feeling that my tax bill will be significantly higher this year though which is BS.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Property taxes vary depending on the assessed value of your house as well as the total tax levy assessed. Since the levy pretty much goes up every single year, the tax bill tends to go up regardless of the assessed value.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
we live in kane county and our taxes went up about 260. I went through everything line by line. the big jump for us was the school district and the school pension. I guess this is the result of the refendum that was passed a couple years ago. however, our assessed value of our home also increased! how crazy is that? I think i am going to make the visit to the assessor for the entire detail used on home. I think it is about time!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 AM

223 posts, read 757,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
How could our property taxes go up by $500 this year? They say our home is worth $10,000 more than it was last year? huh?

Because they can get away with it. Seriously that's the only reason.

It is much easier for the county to fictitiously raise the assessed values every year to increase revenue rather than doing budget cuts. They figure out that only a small percentage of people would go through the hassle of appealing their property taxes, so they'll still come ahead.

We have a property in Kane Co for which we successfully appealed our property taxes. The assessor had increased the assessed value 3%, instead after the appeal we got a 10% cut. We did have to show up, though. We have other property in DuPage for which we did all the paperwork by mail and no dice.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Ours goes up $500 min. every year without fail. One year we had a huge percentage increase because of an addition though. We live in Kane county. St. Charles township.
Last night for kicks I found a home near us, online, in our neighborhood. it is 200 sf larger than ours. Their acreage: 1.12. Ours only .98. 2 outbuildings, a garage and a shed. They are $400 a year less than ours. why?
Does the assessor look at anything other than sf of home/bldgs and acreage? Our home is waterfront, so is that why would it be assessed at a higher value? I have heard that corner lots are higher in taxes.
Yeah, I can't believe that they said our value went up from last year. At the peak of the real estate boom a few years back I think we could have sold it for more than they said it was valued. But now, we would be lucky to get what they say it is worth. It would probably sit for a year or so if we marketed it at that price.

SO confusing.... I did go to the assessors office a few years back and left with no answers. Someone in my hood contested their taxes and got a reprieve for a year. But the next year they were right back up there.

Last edited by gardener34; 04-27-2010 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM

38 posts, read 104,478 times
I live in cook county and it's just a complicated game. Everyone's taxes are all over the place and your best bet is to appeal every time they are assessed. I won a 2006 appeal (but not until Dec 2008 after going to the state). Then had to do it all over again for 2007 & 2008 (still waiting for a decision). And also did it when I got my 2009 assessed valuation notice.

Property taxes everywhere are too high due to political games and corruption. It really is a mess and is one reason for us looking to relocate elsewhere. In most areas, the assessed value went down but the tax rate went up so it really doesn't matter as they get you either way.

Welcome to Chicago!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
When a parcel becomes property of the County due to unpaid taxes, it often raises the rate on those still paying taxes. In normal times these are sold to new owners who then pay taxes, but in recent years they are not being purchased. Another factor is when government bodies (cities, schools, forest preserves) purchase property it no longer pays taxes so everyone else's taxes get raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs