U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2006, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 11,665 times

Advertisements

My husband is being interviewed for a job in University Park. We have a 12-year-old son and would be interested in living in a smaller-sized community, with low crime, that has a good school system and is within 45 minutes-1 hour commute of University Park. Can anyone offer some suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,069 times
Crete is the next town over to University Park and is a Jewel in the suburbs. Do yourself a favor and give the town a look.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 21,212 times
Check out Flossmoor. It is a great town albeit very expensive.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:38 PM

929 posts, read 1,698,111 times
i'd especially consider Homewood and Olympia Fields(very surprised these 2 towns weren't mentioned so far!), if you're looking in this area(i know for a fact these 2 towns are integrated, and have very nice school systems). Country Club Hills is also supposed to be somewhat nice, though i haven't heard any reports or data on how good their school system is. you might also want to look at Monee or Steger, too. and now that i realize you were trying to find an area with low crime and a decent school system, i'm not sure if i'd recommend Park Forest(since i thought the person posting initally didn't have children, until i reread the post), since though the community still is nice in some areas, i've heard mixed reports about their school system in recent years, and have heard the town has been in flux in recent years.

i'd probably steer clear of Chicago Heights. its a very hit or miss suburb, and though certain parts of it are not bad, there are some parts that have major gang and crime problems. so to conclude, i'd probably most recommend either Homewood, Olympia Fields, Flossmoor(only reason i didn't mention it was since another person already mentioned it), or Country Club Hills.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 228,540 times
Default Re: Reply

My husband and I lived in the Co-Ops in Park when you could walk to Fields, Goldblatts, and Sears; and, it was considered a decent integrated area. Unfortunately, after abouat 3 years the suburb started to change after the stores started pulling out of the mall and Mayor Singerman and his son ripped the village out of a lot of money with the senior housing project.

Now go back and look at Park Forest which my husband and I did about 4 weeks ago. We go back to Park Forest about once a year for personal reasons. Some of the homes are kept up; but, most are not. Bigeolow-sp Homes are building some homes near the now nearly vacant mall for around $150,00 on up. Yea sure.

Who's fault is it that the suburbs like Matteson, Chicago Heights, Park Forest, and Olympia Fields (they are having trouble too according to a tv report) - blacks or whites. As a white, I am mad as hell what is going on in Park Forest because it was a nice integrated suburb with white, blacks, Jews (my family is Jewish), and Christian living side by side. Not so any more.
My opinion.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:19 PM

929 posts, read 1,698,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy davidson View Post
My husband and I lived in the Co-Ops in Park when you could walk to Fields, Goldblatts, and Sears; and, it was considered a decent integrated area. Unfortunately, after abouat 3 years the suburb started to change after the stores started pulling out of the mall and Mayor Singerman and his son ripped the village out of a lot of money with the senior housing project.

Now go back and look at Park Forest which my husband and I did about 4 weeks ago. We go back to Park Forest about once a year for personal reasons. Some of the homes are kept up; but, most are not. Bigeolow-sp Homes are building some homes near the now nearly vacant mall for around $150,00 on up. Yea sure.

Who's fault is it that the suburbs like Matteson, Chicago Heights, Park Forest, and Olympia Fields (they are having trouble too according to a tv report) - blacks or whites. As a white, I am mad as hell what is going on in Park Forest because it was a nice integrated suburb with white, blacks, Jews (my family is Jewish), and Christian living side by side. Not so any more.
My opinion.
hmmm, i'm surprised to hear Olympia Fields is having some problems. i'm sure its still hasn't been hit as hard with problems as some of the other south suburbs have(a la Park Forest, Chicago Heights). i wouldn't be surprised either if the SICA realignment(high school sports conference, for anyone who doesn't know) is causing a lot of tension for communities to the east of I-57, as I think it was a bad idea.

i hope eventually that some of these south suburbs do see a renaissance eventually of at least some sort one of these years. hopefully, the Lincoln Mall renovation i've read about will help jumpstart efforts to revitalize other area suburbs(along with the eventual start of a proposed Metra line through south suburbs such as Chicago Heights, Glenwood, and South Holland). and i feel for you about how Park Forest used to be, since i've read up some on how that suburb is/was like.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
ejh

5 posts, read 12,991 times
Default University Park Relo

IndyL, if you are considering a 45 minute to 1 hour commute, you have many choices. Many of the ones mentioned are great. I have lived in most of them.

May I suggest that you ask yourself some additional questions such as:

1. What are current and resale housing values like for each community? If you will be moving again within 5 years or so, you want to see that the values have held firm or increased.

2. Do you need a single-family residence or would a townhome work for you as well? Have you seen some of the townhomes in communities like Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena, New Lenox, or Homer Glen? They look super and have the same amenities and more than some S/F residences, and they are within the driving times you mentioned. Sure there is a monthly maintenance cost, but for active families, who needs all the yard work or snow shoveling? Just an idea to consider.

3. Schools and taxes are what they are. I raised 2 daughters in So Suburban schools and they turned out just fine. I have also seen children that went to finer schools, like the H/F school district, and they are problem children. Home training is where it starts.

If you would like to discuss this further, please send a private email and we can chat about it. I just think you have many options that you may want to consider in this area, and you need to know what they are before you decide just yet.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 50,377 times
Whatever you do, don't waste your time checking out Uni Park itself; the school system is having real problems. And Monee, just south of UPark, is also.

I second the poster above's recommendation of Crete. It's a cute village, low crime, schools are OK, housing is moderately priced.

I'd also recommend going east into Indiana. Dyer and Crown Point are nice little communities, and Indiana taxes and housing costs are much lower.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 98,074 times
I definitely would check out Homewood or Flossmoor. They have excellent public schools and low crime rates, but high property taxes.

Another poster suggested Olympia Fields--beautiful homes, but the public schools there aren't as good, lots of foreclosures are happening there, and really high property taxes, the crime rate is low there though.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 45,086 times
i agree with nancy davidson!!! thank you nancy. first how about bradley, bourbonnais or peotone? they are all nice as well as minooka or manteno. ok thank you section 8 for being partly to blame for the ruining of communities as well as mayor daley. country club hills is terrible. almost all the whites ran out. i went to a high school football game there this year at hillcrest and had to wait almost 2 hours to get out of there due to gangs shooting after the game. once nice areas in the 80's like country club hills, richton park, matteson, south holland, dolton, chicago heights, olympia fields, park forest, calumet city have gone downhill badly. schools are all bad as well as the areas. instead of leaving the city to better themselves many people have moved to these areas bringing crime, drugs and gang lifestyle with them. once beautiful towns these places are not safe. in fact cc hills as well as matteson are trying to lure whites back to live there with promises of huge tax breaks and section 8 cost housing for non section 8 houses however nobody is biting. all the good whites got out who could afford to as well as the good blacks who fled the city only to see the very people they fled from coming to their doorstep!!! very sad but check out peotone and bradley areas.

Last edited by linicx; 07-21-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or