Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM

12 posts, read 23,466 times

Advertisements

I posted something about this a few months ago. I'm relocating this summer for a job in Buffalo Grove (Deerfield Rd. and Milwaukee Ave are the major crossroads).

I want to live somewhere with a walkable downtown area with things to do with the ability to get into the city. I'm orginally from the western suburbs with family and friends in Wheaton and Lombard (family) and Glen Ellyn and Elmhurst (friends). I'm a single mom to a toddler -the family will help with my daughter some, but not full time, and the friends will be nice to see, but I'd not really ask them for help as I would with family.

I'll be working 4 days a week either 7-4 or 8-5 depending on the day although I don't have the kind of job where I put everything away 5 mins before quitting time and walk out the door, so the end time could be variable.

I'm in Chicago this week looking for a place to live (area really, although have looked at houses). I was strongly leaning toward Arlington Heights prior to my visit to give me a better commute, but it just didn't feel like home to me. This is because it isn't - nothing against AH, but I was raised in the western burbs and most of my Chicagoland people are there. So, although I hate commuting, I'm leaning toward renting for a bit and trying the commute from Elmhurst (via 294) or Glen Ellyn (53/355 to Lake Cook?). I tried the am commute from Elmhurst twice this week and it wasn't bad about 40 minutes but I don't think this week being a holiday week is a reliable estimate. I know the construction on 53/355 is a big issue right now, but hopefully(!) that will end some day?

I also think that the commute from the area I'm considering in AH (near downtown) could be longer than I'm imagining so the added commute from the western burbs may not be that bad?

Any thoughts on 1) the commutes - GE, Elmhurst, downtown AH, 2)attitude/vibe of these towns? I haven't lived here in 20 years and am moving from very liberal Boston. I know I'm in for a bit of a culture shock, but the realtor I met with in AH told me about half the people have guns in their homes and the area was very conservative. I'm not looking for an enclave of like-minded people (because I know I won't find it meeting my other parameters - reasonable to work and family and nice home under $500k- lol), but open minded people would be great.

My ideal would be to live in the city, but that isn't going to be an option for a number of reasons - I'm thinking Elmhurst may be the best compromise geographically (and I really like it), but GE would be much better for proximity to family (haven't spent nearly as much time there as in Elmhurst), and I know next to nothing about AH (don't think I've ever been there prior to this week).

Thanks for making it all the way through this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,760,872 times
For the most part the burbs' are pretty conservative especially the western burbs in the wheaton/glen ellyn area. I'd agree with you i think elmhurst might be your best bet. It has a much younger feel to it and a bit more liberal. Nice downtown with lots of bars/shops as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs