Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 AM

9 posts, read 22,776 times

Advertisements

Sikaranista, you have know idea how much your post sets my mind at ease. My oldest daughter is doing very well at her current school and has lots of friends, so needless to say, we are very nervous about moving her and screwing everything up! I know her experiences may be different from yours, but it was still nice to here your perspective. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I have friends in Barrington and the husband works downtown. It easily takes him 3-4 hours in the winter time using Metra. I know Clybourn is closer than downtown, but CTA can be a long haul day-after-day.
My husband works in the loop. It's a 50 minute ride, rain, sleet, snow or shine. Never, not once, has it taken him 3-4 hours to commute on Metra.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM

232 posts, read 542,369 times
A 3-4 hour Metra ride from Clybourne or Ogilvy to Barrington would not be caused by Chicago's weather. If it did, then the morning ride from Barrington to Clybourne or Ogilve would also take 3-4 hours. This is simply not the case.

A 3-4 hour ride would be caused by accident and/or serious mechanical failure. It takes time for the emergency workers and law enforcement to sort out the mess, if a life was lost in the accident, it takes even more time. These events are not regular occurrences, they are rare.

If the time is a real concern, I would recommend contacting Metra 312-322-6900 and asking to speak with someone in Operations, because you have general questions about how the UnionPacific Northwest line operates over the course of the year. Ask the Operations guru what delays they commonly face due to bad weather.

Also, Metra posts service updates here:

Service Updates & Alerts

Scheduled maintenance is here, look for the entries coded UP-NW.

Track Maintenance & Construction Schedules

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I dont think it at all "one dimensional" to put commute time on the concern list. Spending less time commuting is a goal for most.

I agree with the others, a 3-4 hour commute is not information you should pay any heed to, its a rare occurance if that, and even an accident or metra mechanical failure is not the norm nor anything to base a decision on.

I have been in Barrington over 20 years, my kids went thru the schools (still have one here) and we have been more then pleased at their experiences,education,peer groups,parent/teacher relationships, and the overall outcome. I can speak very highly of our experiences and would recommend all levels of education here.
The park district offers a plethora of activities for not only the kids, but families. Beautiful library also offers many activities. All that being said, your decision will be made easier when you visit both communities and see what feels like "home" to you. I love the beauty of the Barrington area, but downtown Glen Ellyn is really lovely. Once you visit, one of these towns will just feel right for you.
If you have any specific questions about Barrington, please feel free to DM me. Also, Middle Age Mom is our "go to" Realtor here and can probably help you more then all of us combined.
Again, good luck to you and welcome to Illinois.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM

9 posts, read 22,776 times
Thanks everyone! We have visited both locations and, at this point, we are leaning towards Barrington. Although we really found Glen Ellyn welcoming and cozy, we feel more at home with the openness (space - wise) that Barrington offers. Glen Ellyn is still an option. It's just put on the back burner for now. Thanks, again!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
vive la difference!

Both areas have lots to offer and your ultimate decision will influence by your unique circumstances.

I think the long term trend in both towns is also mostly positive -- in a way it is like shopping for two very nice upscale cars -- for every buyer that likes a Lexus sedan there is probably another that prefers a BMW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs