Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

I wasnt suggesting you would do that spike boy, just outlining my viewpoint. Chicago is great if you can afford the basics plus extra. It really blows if you don't have a certain amount of money. There are other places I'd much rather be if I didn't have a certain amount of money.

With your salary you would most likely need a roommate. Just being real -- that is probably what you want at your age.

But a lot of people would not. I wouldn't anymore. It's just a thing to consider and to me illustrates best the pros and cons of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
no, I'm from Chicago. I lived in the city when I was going to UIC and could barely afford my apartment with 3 other girls. I was a student not a professional. We would literally count our pennies to go out. Not because Chicago is so expensive, but because we were not making professional salaries.

Any place is nicer when you have can afford the basics + some. But Chicago is not a place you want to be poor.

The apartments are crappier, lack of air condition or non-central AC is depressing. It's not the kind of place you really want to live on a strict budget because there just are not very nice places for people who can't afford at least $800 a month for rent.

Unless you really don't mind living in an old place with old appliances, lack of AC most likely, you know the stuff we tend to take for granted when we have cash or live in a newer area. plus, you are more likely to find a bargain in a not so nice area of town and there is all that to deal with, then. not to mention...parking. and if you can't afford a car, well...
isn't this assuming you are single and living by yourself though? what is so horrible about roommates??? esp if you are living the "city" life...

personally I am a DINK, so, whatever #'s thrown out become split in half.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
To each his own. I've done the roommates thing and lived the city. I now live in downtown San Antonio in a very nice place for $1000 a month, alone. I much prefer it -- the alone part. But I'm 33. If I were to move back to Chicago, which is possible, I'd want a nice place and I'd want to be able to live alone, which, should be possible at my income now.

I wouldn't discourage young 20 somethings from trying it out, but I would discourage them if they really did not have their finances covered. People tried to discourage me at the time but I wouldn't listen because I wanted to be in the city, and of course with my roommates.

Especially women. You know it's really nice to have that extra $20 for a taxi or a parking garage when you really need it....

Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM

27 posts, read 85,121 times
Good:

-Many diverse neighborhoods
-Great night life, clubs and bars
-World class restaurants
-Great shopping
-You can live here without a car, public transit is good. I used to spend $75 dollars a month to use the public transportation system ( unlimited rides in the bus and trains combined)
-Beautiful city

Bad:

-Weather: the winters are long, dark, windy and very cold. Spring is very rainy and chilly. I used to get the Blues every winter
-High taxes
-Some areas of the city the crime is really bad

Overall is a great city, I lived there for 10 years and I love it!!!!I moved because I no longer wanted to deal with the cold weather. If cold weather is not a problem for you go for it.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
To each his own. I've done the roommates thing and lived the city. I now live in downtown San Antonio in a very nice place for $1000 a month, alone. I much prefer it -- the alone part. But I'm 33. If I were to move back to Chicago, which is possible, I'd want a nice place and I'd want to be able to live alone, which, should be possible at my income now.

I wouldn't discourage young 20 somethings from trying it out, but I would discourage them if they really did not have their finances covered. People tried to discourage me at the time but I wouldn't listen because I wanted to be in the city, and of course with my roommates.

Especially women. You know it's really nice to have that extra $20 for a taxi or a parking garage when you really need it....
Oh I know what you mean, me and my gf are however both in our 20s, so, we deal. I could see how that would wear on you, but gf/wife, not a big deal.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 PM

166 posts, read 612,140 times
I'm noticing that people keep reiterating how the weather sucks here and whatnot. I just think it's kind of funny since me, being from Tennessee, one of the biggest complaints people have of my home state (as well in the Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta forums where I posted the same 5 pros, 5 cons question) is how almost everyone hates the summer weather because it is so humid.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I'm noticing that people keep reiterating how the weather sucks here and whatnot. I just think it's kind of funny since me, being from Tennessee, one of the biggest complaints people have of my home state (as well in the Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta forums where I posted the same 5 pros, 5 cons question) is how almost everyone hates the summer weather because it is so humid.
I grew up in Alabama so I know what a hot, humid summer is like. I much prefer the winters here to the summers down there.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
This is kind of a matter of personal preference. Some people just tolerate heat and humidity better, while others tolerate the cold better. Obviously everyone has an ideal type of weather/ seasons, and given an ideal you can probably find a place with the right weather for you. However, I find that when choosing a place to live, more people consider where the career opportunities are, where their family and friends are, and where they can live the lifestyle they are accustomed to before they think about climate and seasons.

In every city there are people there who love the weather patterns, as well as people who hate it. I have heard people in many different cities claim they love the weather in their city, and I have heard people in those same places claim they hate the weather. Because many people consider other factors more diligently when deciding where to live, I think you will find people hating the weather no matter where you go. Even in LA you will probably find people who miss seasons.

That being said, my personal preference would be for shorter and milder winters than the ones we have in Chicago. When comparing places to potentially live, both in the past and the future, I consider weather a negative on Chicago. However, as seen in my pros list, there are many other reasons to be here that may outweigh the weather. This does not mean I am going to suddenly start liking the weather, or even not get upset when the weather is bad. A lot of people here are probably the same way.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
cons= weather, public schools, racial tenson,crime, die-hard-unionism

pros= suburbs offer best qol v col in nation, sports town, not a single industry centric town,big name/big city with all the bells whistles and attractions, foodieism

Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 AM

226 posts, read 382,082 times
Quote:
no, I'm from Chicago. I lived in the city when I was going to UIC and could barely afford my apartment with 3 other girls. I was a student not a professional. We would literally count our pennies to go out. Not because Chicago is so expensive, but because we were not making professional salaries.

Any place is nicer when you have can afford the basics + some. But Chicago is not a place you want to be poor.

The apartments are crappier, lack of air condition or non-central AC is depressing. It's not the kind of place you really want to live on a strict budget because there just are not very nice places for people who can't afford at least $800 a month for rent.

Unless you really don't mind living in an old place with old appliances, lack of AC most likely, you know the stuff we tend to take for granted when we have cash or live in a newer area. plus, you are more likely to find a bargain in a not so nice area of town and there is all that to deal with, then. not to mention...parking. and if you can't afford a car, well...
I felt the need to comment on this one. I was extremely poor as a student (I'm talking living off of Ramen noodles and sleeping with ice cubes all over me b/c I couldn't afford A/C - seriously), luckily I lived in a decent neighborhood though. Anyways, my point is I was a lot happier that summer than one summer I spent in North Carolina with proper amenities. I think Chicago can be done on the relative cheap...go to BrokeHipster.com for cheap things to do. There always seems to be FREE Museum days and restaurants are always having specials. A lot of concerts that I like don't cost more than $25. I buy all my designer clothing from consignment shops here (the best in the country IMO!) The Brown Elephant is amazing for clothing and furniture...I'll stop b/c I'm getting off topic but the point is, I counted my pennies too but it still can be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago