Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM

226 posts, read 641,138 times

Advertisements

Been a few weeks since I made the jump from being a car owner here in Chicago to being a full-time train commuter, so I thought I'd post some of my thoughts/feelings on how it's working out:

I live in Marina City, so I'm roughly a mile from Union Station. I was previously parking further away than this from my apartment in Lakeview, so taking 20-25 minutes to walk to the station every morning doesn't really bother me.

The ride from Union Station to Wheeling takes about 50 minutes via Metra. Considering I have to get up at about 6 daily to make the train at 7:10, I tend to take this train ride to sleep (lol). This is probably the most irritating part of my work day; my schedule at work is completely loose and my coworkers don't arrive until 10, but Metra trains to Wheeling only leave every 2 hours, so it's either get to Wheeling at 8 or get to Wheeling at 10. This would be fine, except the last train OUT of Wheeling is at 5:45, and I really need the hours/money, so an 8-5 shift is preferrable to a 10-5, as I'd HAVE to leave at 5 regardless.

Schedule woes aside, I have no real complaints. A monthly Metra pass is $120 for this route, which is about a THIRD of what comparable car expenses would be (insurance + Chicago sticker + $200 monthly parking + gas), so cost-wise, I'm enthralled about the decision.

One gripe about the Metra: Apparently monthly passes are only good for a specific route/line, which I find pretty stupid. For $120, I feel like I should be able to take any train on any line that I please... a la CTA monthly passes.

But yeah, aside from that, I'm really happy with my decision thus far. Not having to worry about a car is a huge load off my shoulders. I'm the type of person that will happily tolerate walking a mile or two each way per day for a worthwhile job, especially in this job market.

When one of my coworkers found out I was walking a mile to the Metra station and then another mile from the Wheeling stop to my workplace, she was appalled, and asked how I could tolerate such a thing every day.

No big deal, I say!

OH, another advantage of "reverse-commuting:" trains are almost completely empty going both ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Have you considered biking to and from the stations instead of walking? Bikes are typically allowed on Metra trains, even during rush hour for reverse commuters.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Good that things are working out for you so far. However I think you might need a plan for winter. It could take you near double the amount of time walking to/from metra stops both in Chicago and wheeling. Very doable, just make sure you have time before your work starts or make sure to leave extra time before you leave for work. Also do you have a plan for if you miss your train at 5?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 AM

I have considered the bike option; simply don't have the money to buy a bike at the moment. I'd probably be doing that already otherwise!

Haven't really bothered thinking about winter yet. It'll be just liking driving anywhere; takes a lot longer and is twenty times more irritating, but unavoidable.

I have absolutely no backup if I miss my train at 5. My boss is quite aware of the fact that my last possible train is at 5:45, so hopefully it won't become an issue. You're right though, this fact does occasionally worry me.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM

I should correct myself: my employer has been kind enough to let me keep my car in one of our back parking lots indefinitely, so I'm technically never "screwed" if I miss the train; I could just drive back into the city and find some free parking for the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago